Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:37 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times

Advertisements

There are basically two variants:

- at restaurants: usually not greasy at all since only a couple of slices of fresh mozarella are used. Definitely not thought of as junk food.
- at Kebab shops (3am on a weekend): Ah, the good old corn and ham combo. Disgustingly greasy and already sitting there for a couple of hours. Junk food at its best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes of course, even in the little country town I lived in the pub served some good pizza.

Smart-arse answer to the original question: 'with their eyes, nose and mouth!'
I might see if i can get to this place next time I am in Melbourne.

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Old 05-14-2014, 12:03 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Asia has some pretty intense pizza... Pizza Hut is thought of as an upscale restaurant and pizzas can cost well over 100 yuan. For comparative purposes, a family sized plate of noodles at an equivalent Chinese restaurant is probably 20-30.

The cheaper options resemble typical North American style pizzas with a medium thickness crust, sauce, processed mozzarella, and meat or veggies, but the more expensive specialty pizzas are insane. Some have the crust at the end of each slice molded into a little bowl, filled with butter and garlic, with a prawn in them... stuff like that. If you look up "Asian pizza" on google you'll see what it looks like.

I've had some awesome gourmet/traditional Italian pizzas and also had aome that just plain sucked... bland, boring, overpriced. I'll go so far as to say that despite my time in gourmet dining and kitchens, I generally prefer a decent medium crust pizza with real cheese and good sauce, Chicago deep dish, or an NYC/Boston street pizza, to "authentic" Italian style pizzas, so long as they're made with real, fresh, quality ingredients. Authentic is not synonymous with better!

Old 05-14-2014, 12:35 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I'm pretty sure everyone is already familiar with the United States, so I'm not going to bother.

Here in Chile, it pretty much ranges. There is the Pizza Hut and Papa Johns. Another one here is called telepizza, it's your standard overpriced chain and you can get all the typical toppings.

Another place I really like to eat is a restaurant that serves thin crust pizza, but you can also load the toppings on and they have a list of about 25 different toppings you can choose. 3 is included in the price and any more is an extra 50 cents or dollar. The other pizza place in the area is like that also. That's Valparaiso. I haven't found a decent pizza place here in Viña del Mar.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:37 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Asia has some pretty intense pizza... Pizza Hut is thought of as an upscale restaurant and pizzas can cost well over 100 yuan. For comparative purposes, a family sized plate of noodles at an equivalent Chinese restaurant is probably 20-30.

I ordered a large supreme stuffed crust here about 3 months ago without checking the price first.. boy was I upset. I paid 35 dollars for a pizza and that wasn't including the 2 liter I ordered.

Never again... never again.

These foreigners need to learn that Pizza Hut and Mcdonalds are supposed to be cheap!

Old 05-14-2014, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I ordered a large supreme stuffed crust here about 3 months ago without checking the price first.. boy was I upset. I paid 35 dollars for a pizza and that wasn't including the 2 liter I ordered.

Never again... never again.

These foreigners need to learn that Pizza Hut and Mcdonalds are supposed to be cheap!
People here are always surprised to hear that pizza hut is considered cheapo pizza in the US. I tell them it's mostly delivery and the restaurants often date back to the 80's and look it... or its just combined with a KFC and is equally greasy and sleazy.

But then, yeah... KFC is upscale here, too.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:21 AM

872 posts, read 1,385,503 times
The pizza here is generally terrible, at least if New York or Chicago are the standards by which it is judged.

There is no equivalent of the culinary culture of carefully nuanced pizza-making like you you have in those cities. It's regarded as low grade, cheap, cheerful fast food on a par with McDonald's.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:34 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
People here are always surprised to hear that pizza hut is considered cheapo pizza in the US. I tell them it's mostly delivery and the restaurants often date back to the 80's and look it... or its just combined with a KFC and is equally greasy and sleazy.

But then, yeah... KFC is upscale here, too.
Its exactly the same in South Korea as far as american name brand pizzas (Pizza Hut, Dominos etc) are concerned you are looking at $25 to $35 a pizza, though you can get non name branded local product for about $6 per pizza.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Its exactly the same in South Korea as far as american name brand pizzas (Pizza Hut, Dominos etc) are concerned you are looking at $25 to $35 a pizza, though you can get non name branded local product for about $6 per pizza.
Yeah, here most locally-owned pizza restaurants are modeled after Pizza Hut's model, meaning they are fairly close in price and niceness. I've been to a couple, and the prices aren't far off... maybe 5 yuan (less than $1 USD) less simply because they don't have the brand recognition and it helps to undercut a bit.

There are also places co-owned and operated by Europeans, Americans, or Turkish who offer pizzas on their menus. in China, foreign foods are lumped together much like Asian foods are in the West, so it's common to see a pizza in the menu at an Irish pub

Old 05-14-2014, 03:10 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
It depends where it was made.

If it was dominos it is trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World