Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 10:13 AM

26,812 posts, read 22,591,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
From what I see in Finland, gender equality has taken a huge backlash in Russia. I think this is something of a reaction for the gender equality forced upon in the Soviet times. The Russian ladies here are really not even wanting to be equal, but let the husband control all finances and make the decisions, while the wife takes care of the home and her nails. And if it's bad here among Finnish-Russians, it's even worse in Russia. Heard stories about husbands beating up their wives and being quite OK with it etc.

From what I hear and see, the ladies in Russia are taking an ultra-feminine approach while the men keep their ultra-masculine approach. And correct me if I'm wrong, but a woman lawyer or something in Russia can still run into deep trouble just for being a woman.
There were ALWAYS two types of women in Russia, ( including Soviet times) the type you describe and a very independent, "pull it all through" type. ( I know so, I have both of these types of women in my family.)
I probably never realized it so clear, until I've observed enough of Black women here in the US; them and part of the Russian women seem to come from the same mold, with only some differences. Same "women in charge of the children" approach, same dominating attitude in relations ( I dunno, may be it has something to do with a sexual appeal/drive?) so apparently all women in the world have two prototypes.
So not an easy subject, and particularly when it comes to Russia.
As for today - I do think gender equality took a big backlash in Russia, but that's only normal, since Russian society started mimicking American society from the nineties on, and as I've already mentioned, I believe that in the US the women's emancipation is skin deep, since it's not compatible with capitalism. America is a capitalist country as we know, and so is today's Russia, even more so.

Last edited by erasure; 06-08-2014 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 10:21 AM

26,812 posts, read 22,591,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
You don't see women at the upper levels of Russian or Chinese business or government. Rarely, anyway. So women didn't see much social progress beyond access to the stereotypical "proletariat" type blue collar jobs.
Not true ( that is if we are talking about Russia back in Soviet times.) There were plenty of women in managerial positions. The system of education, medical field, light industry, food-processing industry, distribution system, journalism - you name it; women were all over the place sitting in offices and making decisions. Where you would hardly see women though in the upper echelon, that would be the heavy industry and politics. Heavy industry for understandable ( and practical) reasons, as for politics - that were already Russian cultural traits taking over, not just exclusive traits of the Soviet system.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
A closely related issue, there are Islamic countries in which girls actually outnumber boys in high school and even more so in colleges. In nearly all Muslim countries, the ratio is pretty close. This is mostly because of the number of boys who drop out of school in order to go to work in grunt industries, while their sisters stay in school. It will be interesting to see how that plays out a generation from now. But it has already been true for nearly a generation. When the US invaded Iraq, there were more Iraqi girls than boys enrolled in the universities. When I went to the University of Jordan in the 1970s, there was already a very high proportion of girls to boys, even in the Science faculties.

In the year 2000, Saudi Arabia reported that 46.3% of secondary school students were female.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:28 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,768,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
You don't see women at the upper levels of Russian or Chinese business or government. Rarely, anyway. So women didn't see much social progress beyond access to the stereotypical "proletariat" type blue collar jobs.

Nowadays, more Chinese women are going to university and getting STEM-type jobs, yet, they are rarely in charge of anything.
Many women do not really want to be "in charge" either.
Most women spend more time with children and family, and they are happily so. Well, many women control money at home.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:36 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
From what I see in Finland, gender equality has taken a huge backlash in Russia. I think this is something of a reaction for the gender equality forced upon in the Soviet times. The Russian ladies here are really not even wanting to be equal, but let the husband control all finances and make the decisions, while the wife takes care of the home and her nails. And if it's bad here among Finnish-Russians, it's even worse in Russia. Heard stories about husbands beating up their wives and being quite OK with it etc.

From what I hear and see, the ladies in Russia are taking an ultra-feminine approach while the men keep their ultra-masculine approach. And correct me if I'm wrong, but a woman lawyer or something in Russia can still run into deep trouble just for being a woman.
Women in Russia are NOT ok with domestic violence! That (which often is related to alcoholism) is one of the main reasons for a high divorce rate.

I've known women lawyers in Russia. They don't run into any kind of trouble. What kind of "deep trouble" did you have in mind? Some eventually become members of Parliament or ministers, or other type of public figure.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:08 AM

142 posts, read 239,662 times
Quote:

You see it with a lot of Russian tourists. Muscly, tattooed guys in wifebeaters with their wife in a frilly skirt/dress, heels, even if not at all practical..

Old 08-13-2014, 05:42 AM

266 posts, read 675,234 times
Gender inequality in China is relatively good, ranked 35th out of 142 on the United Nations index, but not outstanding. For example 23.4% of seats in higher govt/ parliament are held by women (compared to 18.6% in the US), but is low in overall govt participation (read: lack of middle'men').

Since 1978 when China abandoned it's planned, equalised economy, and embarked on a capitalist strategy female inequality has gotten noticeably worse than the days when women 'held up half the sky' according to Mao's teachings. As touched upon before, the old world problems of female infanticide in rural areas during the 1990s, and prostitution/ people trafficking in the cities today has reappeared.

Crime against women is still relatively low, thankfully. For example a young woman can wear whatever she likes without getting catcalls or hassling, unlike many parts of the 'emancipated' West, which has 'epidemic' levels of sexual assault (and average conviction rates of less than 5%). She can get drunk, dressed in skimpy clothing, and make her way through the poorest districts of any city alone at night without disproportionate fear.

However, despite outranking her male counterparts in education, she will be more likely discriminated against in higher level jobs these days, especially corporate business, where it's de rigeur to judge a candidate not just on her appearance but height, weight, personality and even ability to consume alcohol (considered crucial in meetings and contracts). Female graduates aged 26-34 do not much complain of any major issues, however the generation younger have a barrage of problems. It's not so much sexism in the workplace, but sexism before getting into the workplace:

In 2009, the Centre for Women's Law and Legal Services at Peking University surveyed 3,000 women over a year and found that one in four women were denied a job due to their sex.

Furthermore, 25 of those surveyed said they were forced to sign labour contracts containing clauses forbidding them to get married or pregnant during a set period of time. More than 20 per cent also said employers cut salaries of women who become pregnant or gave birth, and 11 per cent lost jobs for having a baby.

In short the sexism of the old culture was endemic and ingrained, but much improved and equalised under Communism, often forcibly. However that hard won progress is now deteriorating, this past decade especially.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:08 AM

847 posts, read 1,181,100 times
Quote:
You don't see women at the upper levels of Russian or Chinese business or government. Rarely
Not as much as in Western Europe. But for example the former president of the local branch of Microsoft is a woman (she has a degree in programming), now she works in the government.

There are a lot of women among university teachers (and certainly in the schools).

Our banking system is governed by a woman too.

Last edited by Muscovite; 08-13-2014 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World