Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:36 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

Of course maybe every culture has slightly different ideas of 'romance', what might be romantic in the Anglo-Western tradition might not be in another and vice versa. But given the spread of western ideals of romance through film, literature, and traditions like Valentine's day, which parts of the world seem to more romantic than others?

My first observation is on East Asia, well and more urbanised South-East Asia (Bangkok, KL, Singapore, Vietnamese cities). On one hand, their culture seems pragmatic (marriage more about families marrying than for love), materialistic, yet there are lots of love poems from their culture, a lot of their music is very lovey dovey, as is there music, films.etc. So I'm not sure what to make of it. It seems Taiwan might be moreso than China and Taiwan then? Singapore seems less romantic, well it's hard to sweet talk someone in a Singlish accent haha. Not sure about Japan, it seem a lot about honour and all that even though romance is a big thing too. Thailand seems similar. What about Malaysia, Indonesia with the Muslim thing?

In India romance seems a big thing, despite arranged marriages, lots of barriers like caste.etc. Not sure about more traditional Asian societies.

Of course, romance is often equated with the aptly named 'Romance' nations in Europe like France, Italy, then Spain.etc, but they also seem rather materialistic so a lot of it might a stereotype. Northern Europe like the UK, Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavia seems rather cold and business-like, although again a stereotype.

Latin America seems more akin to Southern Europe, with a lot of passion and romance, as well as 'chivalry' and more traditionalism, while the US is a mix, there's the romance but also seems to revolve a lot around casual relationships/sex. I'd say the same of the UK again, Australia, NZ, which I don't really consider very romantic overall.

Not sure about Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 10:37 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,639 times
Latin America... They are quite expressive and passionate ( Mi Amor, Mi Cielo, te amo con todas mis fuerzas ) oh I just LOVE hearing these words. I also love Mariachis, it us romantic to be serenaded. I love Spanish songs, very romantic to the ears. I don't get tired of Juan Luis Guerra's Burbujas de Amor.
Italy --- seems like love is important to Italians and I always hear men are usually ( celoso ) jealous type and that's a turn on for me.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:43 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Latin America... They are quite expressive and passionate ( Mi Amor, Mi Cielo, te amo con todas mis fuerzas ) oh I just LOVE hearing these words. I also love Mariachis, it us romantic to be serenaded. I love Spanish songs, very romantic to the ears. I don't get tired of Juan Luis Guerra's Burbujas de Amor.
Italy --- seems like love is important to Italians and I always hear men are usually ( celoso ) jealous type and that's a turn on for me.
Thanks for the compliments, but latino men are also the worst at being faithful lol. Not unusual for a latino male to have un amorbut also an amante on the side

Old 03-12-2014, 10:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
normal relations and that includes france, happen when the guy has a job. normal relations stop when he doesnt.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Thanks for the compliments, but latino men are also the worst at being faithful lol. Not unusual for a latino male to have un amorbut also an amante on the side
A bit the same with Filipinos. It is quite common to have another wife and another family.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:05 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
A bit the same with Filipinos. It is quite common to have another wife and another family.
Must be a 'Filispanic' thing LOL. Thank you Spain

Old 03-12-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Must be a 'Filispanic' thing LOL. Thank you Spain
Thanks for the song... it got me dancing

Old 03-12-2014, 11:49 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Of course, romance is often equated with the aptly named 'Romance' nations in Europe like France, Italy, then Spain.etc, but they also seem rather materialistic so a lot of it might a stereotype.
They're called "romantic" because they speak languages that stem from Latin, which was spoken in Rome. It that context, it has nothing to do with sexual passion, uninhibited amorous emotions, chocolate, roses, or champagne.

From my experience, black Americans are definitely the most passionate in the bedroom, with South Americans coming in second. Though, I've met some pretty passionate, aromatic Russians and Israelis in my time, too.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:55 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times
Quote:
Haha yes, sometimes I see the latinos living here calling unknown girls, mi amor, cielo, te amo, cariño, blabla... I wonder what they say when they really love you.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:16 AM

6 posts, read 15,782 times
Africa have food, health ,money and many other things as their priority before they want romance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Of course maybe every culture has slightly different ideas of 'romance', what might be romantic in the Anglo-Western tradition might not be in another and vice versa. But given the spread of western ideals of romance through film, literature, and traditions like Valentine's day, which parts of the world seem to more romantic than others?

My first observation is on East Asia, well and more urbanised South-East Asia (Bangkok, KL, Singapore, Vietnamese cities). On one hand, their culture seems pragmatic (marriage more about families marrying than for love), materialistic, yet there are lots of love poems from their culture, a lot of their music is very lovey dovey, as is there music, films.etc. So I'm not sure what to make of it. It seems Taiwan might be moreso than China and Taiwan then? Singapore seems less romantic, well it's hard to sweet talk someone in a Singlish accent haha. Not sure about Japan, it seem a lot about honour and all that even though romance is a big thing too. Thailand seems similar. What about Malaysia, Indonesia with the Muslim thing?

In India romance seems a big thing, despite arranged marriages, lots of barriers like caste.etc. Not sure about more traditional Asian societies.

Of course, romance is often equated with the aptly named 'Romance' nations in Europe like France, Italy, then Spain.etc, but they also seem rather materialistic so a lot of it might a stereotype. Northern Europe like the UK, Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavia seems rather cold and business-like, although again a stereotype.

Latin America seems more akin to Southern Europe, with a lot of passion and romance, as well as 'chivalry' and more traditionalism, while the US is a mix, there's the romance but also seems to revolve a lot around casual relationships/sex. I'd say the same of the UK again, Australia, NZ, which I don't really consider very romantic overall.

Not sure about Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World