Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 10:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
NO...not necessarily! Probably not what anyone might prefer to hear...but NO, America does not have the BEST food in the world; different, diverse, interesting, highly regional...BUT all of it is dependent on ones individual preferences and tastes.

Finest Cuisines of the World

Cuisines in different countries in the world have a variety of characteristics that make each country's cuisine unique.

Food is what sustains our lives and has cultural, traditional, and healthful significance for our families. Numerous types of food exist in the world. They all have different nutrition values and provide us with energy to go through the day. There are many things that people know about food. However, some food facts are so bizarre that surely most people do not know about them.

Food by Country - World Wide Cuisine - Food in the World

I totally agree! How could anyone say that ANY one cuisine or country's food is "the best in the world" objectively is totally beyond me. For instance, I LOVE most German food - but lots of other people despise it, or think it's boring or whatever. I even love English food and it's greatly maligned by many (though certainly not me - I didn't have a single bad meal the entire time I was there!). Personally, and I may just go straight to hell for this statement, even though I am a New Orleans native, I don't much care for Cajun food, though some of it's good - but my husband absolutely LOVES it.

Food is more than just food - it's also, as you point out, full of cultural, traditional, and healthful significance to us and to our families. It's often laden with emotion, memories, etc. It's impossible to say which country "really" has "the best food in the world" - of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 10:50 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know about all over the US, but here in small town Texas, fresh produce stands and organic foods are readily available from multiple sources.
Here is a map of farmers markets in the United States:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/farmers%20markets.jpg

As one would expect, there's a heavy concentration of them in the eastern half of the country, but it drops off in the western half because of mountains, deserts and large expanses of sparsely populated places. Farmers markets pick up again close to the west coast.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:02 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

As one would expect, there's a heavy concentration of them in the eastern half of the country, but it drops off in the western half because of mountains, deserts and large expanses of sparsely populated places. Farmers markets pick up again close to the west coast.
Who knows what was current in 2011. My small town Texas with 1500 souls has a farmers market. How many of them are not on-line? There is still life unattached to blogs out there:>)

Old 07-02-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Who knows what was current in 2011. My small town Texas with 1500 souls has a farmers market. How many of them are not on-line? There is still life unattached to blogs out there:>)
Good point.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:15 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:

Cool map, not surprising though.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:37 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
This was a scary find. I didn't know it existed, and I haven't seen fresh meat in Canada labelled with it ( in Canada and the US it is supposed to be labelled as such " transglutaminase enzyme" ).
It sounds like the issue is if you don't know that piece of meat is actually 3, then if you don't cook it through like hamburger, you could get food poisoning, since it a true piece of meat the interior will not have the bacteria that an exposed part would.
Again, the EU bans this.

This clip is from Australia.

Meat Glue Secret - YouTube

Old 07-02-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Cool map, not surprising though.
You do know that there are TONS of farmers' markets missing from that map, right? It's not like there's some "central reporting office" for local farmers' markets. For instance, there are numerous fresh produce stands on roadsides within three miles of my house that I'm pretty sure don't show up on that map.

As for the lack of farmers' markets out west...have you ever looked out of an airplane window when you're flying over, say, Utah, or Wyoming, or even Colorado? There are vast tracts of land in the western US that are simply UNPOPULATED or so sparcely populated that it is completely impractical to expect a farmers market or a full service grocery store to be within a few miles of each and every person who chooses to live in an area with such a low population.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:18 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You do know that there are TONS of farmers' markets missing from that map, right? It's not like there's some "central reporting office" for local farmers' markets. For instance, there are numerous fresh produce stands on roadsides within three miles of my house that I'm pretty sure don't show up on that map.

As for the lack of farmers' markets out west...have you ever looked out of an airplane window when you're flying over, say, Utah, or Wyoming, or even Colorado? There are vast tracts of land in the western US that are simply UNPOPULATED or so sparcely populated that it is completely impractical to expect a farmers market or a full service grocery store to be within a few miles of each and every person who chooses to live in an area with such a low population.
The map I linked to showed the total number of farmers markets (probably roughly) but not per capita. As I said the western U.S. is much more sparsely populated than the east until you get close to the coast. So, the per capita numbers could very well be higher out west.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
The map I linked to showed the total number of farmers markets (probably roughly) but not per capita. As I said the western U.S. is much more sparsely populated than the east until you get close to the coast. So, the per capita numbers could very well be higher out west.
Who could know? I do know one thing - there are lots and lots of farmers' markets in the US - and that's a good thing!

Old 07-02-2014, 11:21 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,118,446 times
I think the US has the greatest variety of food options. And of course our homegrown cuisine, of which there are various regional varieties.

Plus the largest range of food items available in a commercial sense (product mix, brand offerings, etc).

The largest range of restaurant chains as well, if that suits you.

Lots of junk food yes, but overall I think the US has the best food overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World