Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 07:16 PM

142 posts, read 239,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyBum View Post
No, I have been in the restaurant business for a long time and know what good food is. Southern food doesn't fall under the parameters of what good food is in my experienced and knowledgeable opinion. No one is going to spend $80 for a bowl of grits.

It's simple food meant to feed a lot of mouths. That's it.
No one is going to spend $80 on a bowl on anything. Not the best bowl of Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Indian, Italian, German food. Silly example silly bum, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 07:18 PM

153 posts, read 150,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Upon reflection, I feel it's safe to say that our country has the best food in the world. Not necessarily based on quality, although they are plenty of quality restaurants. I think it's more because of variety. We are simply an extremely diverse country, possibly the most diverse with respect to countries represented. Just in a one mile radius of where I live in Houston, I can get mexican, salvadorean, bolivian, colombian, vietnamese, korean, chinese, japense, indian, pakistanian, iranian, and much much much more. In hindsight, it's quite incredible.
To me it sounds awful ,in fact I feel awful thinking about it . Quality is what matters ,not fodder .

Old 08-03-2014, 07:22 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,406,685 times
Simple answer to this question is no

Old 08-03-2014, 07:35 PM

198 posts, read 259,339 times
It depends what you mean by "best". Diversity? Overall quality?
If you mean diversity, then the US wins BY far, but people can make arguments for other categories.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:06 PM

165 posts, read 189,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Simple answer to this question is no
^this

Old 08-03-2014, 10:49 PM

338 posts, read 334,978 times
IF I spend 250 dollars on good food, it must be made by a decent chef, not a tv chef owned place but a place with great reputation for fine dining cuisine where the food is the celebrity, not the chef.

I think each bracket of cuisine pricing should be judged in that area, compare 10$ food to 10$ food, compare 100$ to 100$.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:20 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,804 times
Quote:
I am qualified as someone who has tried many foods, talked to many people, has worked in the food business for a long time and studies food. It comes down to supply and demand. No one outside the US is demanding Appalachian cuisine.
Again: Demonstrate your authority on this subject with more than vague anecdotes and pompous know-nothingisms, and I promise to be the first detractor to respect your opinion.

It was never argued, at least not by me, that there's international demand for Appalachian food; I think the jist of my only actual argument on the subject was, basically, that KFC isn't authentic Appalachian food, and that, in so many words, you're dabbling in abject ignorance to think so (and I'm still right )

Quote:
You Americans simply can't admit when there is the slightest flaw in your perfect country. You think you deserve the highest of praises in every sector, and if you don't receive it you resort to a nonsensical argument until you get your way. Well, sorry, you fall short in producing authentic food that is also delicious.
I know it's kind of a Canadian thing and all, but seriously, do you have to push this into the territory of nationalism vs nationalism?

Quote:
If you felt that way you wouldn't have carried on with your poor argument.
So what you're pretty much telling me here is that although I've twice claimed to not think of American cuisines as the best in the world, I actually *do* think that they're the best in the world because I challenged the validity of some of your, umm, "insights".

Everyone let that sink in for a minute.

Old 08-14-2020, 05:08 PM

79 posts, read 45,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
Sorry, but I have spent significant time in Europe and the food quality is higher than ours and the variety is on par.

People who derp about the United States and our "cultural diversity" really haven't traveled well. When I lived in Berlin, it felt a lot like New York. There were at least a dozen or so ethnic restaurants two blocks within my apartment on the outer rims of the city.

Overall, Germany, along with Europe, has strict food regulations ensuring quality. The country also has a very large amount of ethnic diversity (more so than the USA in my opinion) with many people from Asia, Africa and the Middle East. This makes for a great variety of food available.
You can't have the "opinion" that Germany is more diverse than the US, it is abjectly not. You can look at measurements for demographics, in terms of racial and ethnic groups, number of immigrants, you can use common sense and educate yourself on who exactly makes up the population of 350 million Americans, and you can even look up data for "number of ethnic cuisines by city", which there are lists of - note: Germany doesn't feature, New York, Chicago, and San Francisco are all in the top 10.

Stop. Please. You're embarrassing yourself.

Old 08-15-2020, 01:34 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,640 times
Until we at least replace corn syrup with sugar cane, I'm going with a resounding no to this one. That's the least of it too. I actually found burgers in Harajuku in Tokyo to be better than any I've had in the states. That was a weird one. We also don't have Chicken Nanban and I don't know why. Japanese Tartar Sauce can't be that hard to make.

And tbh eating healthy sucks in the US. It tastes awful compared to similarly healthy eating in other countries I've been to. It's also expensive. When people think US food, it's usually junk food. That's a problem.

Last edited by Javawood; 08-15-2020 at 01:45 AM..

Old 08-15-2020, 02:26 AM

79 posts, read 45,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Until we at least replace corn syrup with sugar cane, I'm going with a resounding no to this one. That's the least of it too. I actually found burgers in Harajuku in Tokyo to be better than any I've had in the states. That was a weird one. We also don't have Chicken Nanban and I don't know why. Japanese Tartar Sauce can't be that hard to make.

And tbh eating healthy sucks in the US. It tastes awful compared to similarly healthy eating in other countries I've been to. It's also expensive. When people think US food, it's usually junk food. That's a problem.
Most sugar is produced indirectly no matter where you’re from, whether it’s corn syrup or sugar beet extract. Only a select number of foods produced in most countries use sugar cane.

Your second paragraph is sort of childish - you arbitrarily say “healthy food in the US tastes horrible” - the US is too large a country to say “food in the US tastes bad” as a blanket statement.

I’d also say that the perception of the US being known for junk food is largely determined rather than based off of anything truthful. Any country can be known for junk food, because every country has junk food, but every country, especially one such as the US, is bound to have regional cuisines and high quality dining. It’s protectionist Europeans who smear the American image who have a vested, childish interest in reducing America to the lowest of culture who say crap like that.

Lastly, the US originated the vegan, gluten free, and farm-to-table movements. There doesn’t seem to be any credibility behind your claim that healthy food in the US sucks. I’ve found Canada, East Asia, and most Northern European nations to have a dearth of healthy eating options when compared to the US, especially when comparing to the West Coast of the US.

Your entire post is ignorant, America-bad nonsense.

Burgers aren’t better in Japan than they are in the US. Period. I couldn’t believe the amount of synthetic tasting food in Japan, for one. I think the whole world laser focuses on the US so much, they forget how hypocritical, projectionist, or backwards their anti-American insults are. So much of Japan is full to the brim with the most sickly processed food, especially in regards to the snack options. South Korea was even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World