Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2020, 04:23 AM

27,579 posts, read 28,687,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
And tbh eating healthy sucks in the US. It tastes awful compared to similarly healthy eating in other countries I've been to. It's also expensive. When people think US food, it's usually junk food. That's a problem.
You live in New York City? That’s funny because it has a tremendous variety of restaurants and foods that would rival any city in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 10:51 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You live in New York City? That’s funny because it has a tremendous variety of restaurants and foods that would rival any city in the world.
Both his and your statements can be true, especially in NYC where he and I both live and you do not, and I believe the comparison points for him is Tokyo, while for me it’s Tokyo and Taipei—obviously, those might not be very representative of the rest of the world.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Both his and your statements can be true, especially in NYC where he and I both live and you do not, and I believe the comparison points for him is Tokyo, while for me it’s Tokyo and Taipei—obviously, those might not be very representative of the rest of the world.
It isn't clear if he was just comparing New York City and Tokyo. But he did say that eating healthy sucks in the U.S. and the food tastes awful. I found that funny given that he lives in a city that is considered to be one of the world's dining capitals with tens of thousands of restaurants and place to eat from Michelin restaurants to street food of just about every conceivable variety you can think of.

And I personally have a lot of experience dining in New York City every year, although not this year for obvious reasons.

Old 08-15-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastwanted View Post
Most people get fat when they move to America. There is something wrong in American food.
Too much food is easily available and inexpensive. That coupled with a lack of exercise.

People are not good at controlling themselves when they are presented with so many options to choose from.

Old 08-15-2020, 03:38 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,514,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Upon reflection, I feel it's safe to say that our country has the best food in the world. Not necessarily based on quality, although they are plenty of quality restaurants. I think it's more because of variety. We are simply an extremely diverse country, possibly the most diverse with respect to countries represented. Just in a one mile radius of where I live in Houston, I can get mexican, salvadorean, bolivian, colombian, vietnamese, korean, chinese, japense, indian, pakistanian, iranian, and much much much more. In hindsight, it's quite incredible.
You got that right.
Quantity not quality defines American food.

Old 08-15-2020, 03:46 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,750,085 times
We’re at least in the top tier, though as the OP says, that’s more because of variety than quality. Finding good ingredients like cheese, or other items like nice crusty breads at the average grocery store can be a challenge. Also a lot of restaurants are mehhhhh. Particularly the chains (though not always). I think the fact that I find our local Indian restaurant delicious is probably because I have never experienced that food in its natural habitat; for all I know it’s kinda garbage quality to someone from India.

Still, we also have our own interesting vernaculars. BBQ, different pizza styles, fun twists on world cuisine. If we aren’t number 1, we are dang close.

Old 08-15-2020, 05:16 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Australia could give you a run for your money. Our produce is also of a higher quality. You also lack possibly the greatest cuisine in the world, at least Asia, and one of the most under-represented, Malaysian.
Strongly disagree. Australia has trash Mexican food. And it's West African food scene is not good either. Simply put, the variety in the States is far greater than in Australia.

Old 08-15-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Until we at least replace corn syrup with sugar cane, I'm going with a resounding no to this one. That's the least of it too. I actually found burgers in Harajuku in Tokyo to be better than any I've had in the states. That was a weird one. We also don't have Chicken Nanban and I don't know why. Japanese Tartar Sauce can't be that hard to make.

And tbh eating healthy sucks in the US. It tastes awful compared to similarly healthy eating in other countries I've been to. It's also expensive. When people think US food, it's usually junk food. That's a problem.
I agree, but it doesn't represent the reality of the diversity of the cuisine available in the States.

From BBQ to Creole/Cajun to the seafood/fresh water fish spreads of the NE/interior/West Coast to Southern soul food to the various cuisines represented by the different ethnic groups that call the US home, there is a lot to offer that isn't junk food.

Old 08-15-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastwanted View Post
Most people get fat when they move to America. There is something wrong in American food.
Or people eat too much (larger portion sizes) and don't exercise. Weight gain is inherently an issue of consuming more calories than you burn.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:55 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,482,861 times
hm...the best US could be the best at anything when the determination is there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World