Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 11:55 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,249 times

Advertisements

"I am not one of those hyphenated Americans who claim allegiance to two countries". - Alexander Graham Bell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 12:35 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
"I am not one of those hyphenated Americans who claim allegiance to two countries". - Alexander Graham Bell

The idea that he was Canadian is laughable. He was a Scottish immigrant to the US who spent time in Canada.
It is not laughable at all. What's laughable to me is how you dismiss his time in Canada, as if he came up for a weekend or two.

As for your quote. It is interesting to note that he said it in 1915, while his birthplace was at war, and the war was of interest in the US.
It was also the year where he did a lot of interviews because the first transcontinental phone call took place, of which he was a guest speaker.
So what did he really mean by it? What was the context. What was the question he was asked?

He also said

“I have travelled around the globe. I have seen the Canadian and American Rockies, the Andes, the Alps and the Highlands of Scotland, but for simple beauty, Cape Breton outrivals them all!"

That expresses some sort " allegiance " in a sense, especially since he moved there.

As my previous posts have noted, he spent a lot of time in Canada. He chose to be buried in Canada etc.

So if by " spent time in Canada" means immigrating to, living in, buying a piece of land in which he built a complex to carry on his work, from 1885 ( when he and his wife built a summer home, which became their permanent residence )until his death in 1922, then I can say " he spent some time " in the US as well.
We have already covered the fact about citizenship.

Someone mentioned you are a historian. However you are human and may have a true blind spot in this matter, especially if all your sources are American.
I'm sure as a historian, you also know how history is written and by whom. After all, we all know Edison did not INVENT the light bulb. The story is much more complex than that.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It is not laughable at all. What's laughable to me is how you dismiss his time in Canada, as if he came up for a weekend or two.

As for your quote. It is interesting to note that he said it in 1915, while his birthplace was at war, and the war was of interest in the US.
It was also the year where he did a lot of interviews because the first transcontinental phone call took place, of which he was a guest speaker.
So what did he really mean by it? What was the context. What was the question he was asked?

He also said

“I have travelled around the globe. I have seen the Canadian and American Rockies, the Andes, the Alps and the Highlands of Scotland, but for simple beauty, Cape Breton outrivals them all!"

That expresses some sort " allegiance " in a sense.

As my previous posts have noted, he spent a lot of time in Canada. He chose to be buried in Canada etc.

So if by " spent time in Canada" means immigrating to, living in, buying a piece of land in which he built a complex to carry on his work, from 1885 ( when he and his wife built a summer home, which became their permanent residence )until his death in 1922, then I can say " he spent some time " in the US as well.
We have already covered the fact about citizenship.
So a quote of the guy identifying as an American isn't good enough, but a quote of him saying he thinks Cape Breton is beautiful must be evidence that he was Canadian. That doesn't express allegiance to a nation, it only expresses his fondness of the scenery in Cape Breton. Honestly, this whole argument that Bell was Canadian, which spans several pages now, is quite ridiculous. These are the kinds of childish contests that lead people to believe that Canadians suffer from an inferiority complex.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I see you edited your post? Why did you remove "The idea that he was Canadian is laughable. He was a Scottish immigrant to the US who spent time in Canada." ?

Old 06-25-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I see you edited your post? Why did you remove "The idea that he was Canadian is laughable. He was a Scottish immigrant to the US who spent time in Canada." ?
I edited it before you posted, as you already know. Little did I know you were in the process of patching together a long-winded and emotional response.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
So a quote of the guy identifying as an American isn't good enough, but a quote of him saying he thinks Cape Breton is beautiful must be evidence that he was Canadian. That doesn't express allegiance to a nation, it only expresses his fondness of the scenery in Cape Breton. Honestly, this whole argument that Bell was Canadian, which spans several pages now, is quite ridiculous. These are the kinds of childish contests that lead people to believe that Canadians suffer from an inferiority complex.

Your quote proves no such thing, until you can give the context and the question he was answering. Perhaps he was referring to Scotland and not the US? Or he was being politically expedient?

It is not a childish argument in the least. It is only clarifying history. Inferiority complex? LOL
You guys really have got to get a new line.

There is NOTHING in my posts about Bell that aren't true. It sounds like you are backtracking since you removed part of your original post.
Did you learn a little something about Bell's time in Canada that made you do that?
I think you did.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:39 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times

Says it all really

Old 06-25-2014, 03:38 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Can this discussion move forward now?

Old 06-25-2014, 08:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
You are really obsessed with saying over and over again that Canadians have an inferiority complex...What is with this Canadian obsession... I'd almost think you are actually a jaded Canadian with his own complex.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:08 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Can this discussion move forward now?
Move it on then - say something useful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World