Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 03:38 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,078,179 times

Advertisements

I'd just like an honest opinion about this, especially from Europeans and Asians. Its like everyone is against America and has a bone to pick against it. Is it because USA is the only superpower left? Is it because USA is the watchdog of the world and interferes with other countries? Is it because its perceived as colonizing and taking over oil reserves half a world away? Is it because of economic disparity or racism, in light of recent events going on?

Old 08-29-2014, 03:51 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,057 times
Most people around the world don't think twice about us. The Japanese I met while visiting their country reacted in a neutral manner to me being from the U.S., but gave me very positive and energetic reactions when I specified California.

Overall, the most antagonistic countries towards the U.S. will be in the Middle East and Latin America (especially south of Mexico) where the U.S. has a long history of interference, so they have very good reasons. Nonetheless, you will find though that while their governments are not U.S. friendly, the average person will treat you with respect as long as you do the same.

France/Paris is a special case. I'm not sure what their problem is exactly...maybe they are annoyed by our patriotism because it mirrors theirs (both countries have too much of an ego.)

Old 08-29-2014, 05:04 PM

266 posts, read 674,504 times
^Ive always found French have a chip on their shoulder not so much because of where youre from but the fact you speak in English to them, made worse if you start in English. Once upon a time French was the designated lingua franca (hence the name) for the world, whereupon nowadays it's English and firmly looks set that way for the future. In short it's not only rude, but historical and political at the same time.

I always start with 'parlez-vous Anglais?' and that suffices - some of the kindest strangers Ive ever met, whole buildings full of them trying to help, have been in Paris. If you speak French even better.

In terms of the US - it's not so much the people but the bad press it gets with its foreign policy (post 911 especially, reaching frenzy levels thanks to Bush's legacy), and the mad as a bag of snakes stories you read in papers, from gun toting 2 headed kids to creationist revisionism in schools etc. The internetz doesn't help either, much a haunt of the American Hawk and racist, exceptionalist diatribe.

It's obviously not fair to tarnish 315 million people with the same brush. But tbh the whole world has it's stages and fads; Russians, Chinese, Iranians, Saudis, North Koreans, Israelis - all Muslims even, and increasingly, Indians get a whole lotta hate too. Brazil more recently.

Whoever wants to hold the next Olympics - beware.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:06 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
Well, a lot of it is jealousy. The USA is the only superpower in the world and it controls and influences all countries in the world.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:12 PM

231 posts, read 333,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Well, a lot of it is jealousy. The USA is the only superpower in the world and it controls and influences all countries in the world.
I doubt it's jealousy, I think it's purely to do with American foreign policy, it's unlikely that the world hates the American people or the country itself. At the end of the day most would still rather have the USA as the world superpower compared to the other potential options, certainly no jealousy on my end, then again I'm from Australia which is a great country by world standards in it's own right.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I'd say posts like this are quintessentially why the very people accused of hating America have some disdain for it or atleast elements of it - individuals like you who personify this we are better than everyone, everyone is jealous of us because we're the best, we are the superpower gods of the world, we control everyone else and everyone else needs us and you better like it because its good for you!

Old 08-29-2014, 05:18 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
I think and I have heard from people on this thread, in regards to things that surprised them while traveling and what not, is that most people have positive views of the U.S, one gentleman used he and his wife's travels to Jordan as an example. Many people tend to show interest when they find out you are an American. Day to day, most don't think about us, but I think most overall weigh towards the positive.

There are haters though.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:19 PM

844 posts, read 1,064,118 times
These days countries like Russia or Israel are more vilified than the U.S. So I guess a Russian or an Israeli forumer, now have an excuse to start a most hated county in the world thread.
I don't think people really care about the U.S. One way or another. I think the people that loath America the most, are it's own citizens. That and the entitlement attitude of many, are going to destroy the country.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:23 PM

231 posts, read 333,108 times
It's actually quite common for many to claim that Americans are probably the nicest people they have met. I agree in general most don't care.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I'd just like an honest opinion about this, especially from Europeans and Asians. Its like everyone is against America and has a bone to pick against it. Is it because USA is the only superpower left? Is it because USA is the watchdog of the world and interferes with other countries? Is it because its perceived as colonizing and taking over oil reserves half a world away? Is it because of economic disparity or racism, in light of recent events going on?
Do you?
I think it's all the chest-beating and proclamations of "We're Number One!", even when you're nowhere near Number One.
Repubocrat's post is a good example. 'You're just jealous because we're so great!'

Get over yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World