Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 02:48 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,934,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Lots of people, even Americans, have some trouble when it comes to understanding why or why NOT a person can be terminated in the US.

We have lots of employment laws that protect the rights of employees, as well as employers. It is illegal to fire people for any of the following reasons anywhere in the US: race, age, disability, color, religion, national origin, or sex. Some states or locales have even more protected groups - sexual orientation for example.

But people can be terminated for other reasons - for instance (but not limited to) whether or not business is slow, if there are disciplinary issues, attendance, etc. Basically, if illegal discrimination isn't involved, a person can be terminated. However, if they are terminated due to no fault of their own, then the employer will generally have to pay unemployment for a pretty long time - nearly always long enough for a person to find another job.
Would refusing to work 60 - 80 hours (which most Americans do despite being in denial about this) while being paid 40 hours count as a disciplinary issue(attendance)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 02:59 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Size doesn't matter LOL. Those much smaller countries in Europe gave us and the world. Much of its culture. They have many more centuries of history, the US does not, but for Native Americans here before European transplants arrived.
People have a right to opinion to claim a smaller countries natural beauty and culture is more interesting to them.

keep it civil? Ask for their reasons why? If you might not agree or understand their reasons?
The OP didn't say ...if the views are to be from a visit to the US? Or merely any opinions? As long as it doesn't go political? Hopefully it remains civil.
Do people have a right to opinion to clam a larger countries natural beauty is more interesting to them?

Sorry.... just don't see many countries in the world that can compare to the USA, China and Canada when it comes to natural scenery.

USA just happens to me one of the most populated, most developed, first world country of those..
China arguably is a tie (if you want to consider it a first world country)

Old 11-20-2014, 03:00 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Would refusing to work 60 - 80 hours (which most Americans do despite being in denial about this) while being paid 40 hours count as a disciplinary issue(attendance)?
Yes we will get fired and even face jail time.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:36 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yes we will get fired and even face jail time.
Possibly have our kids taken away, too.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:18 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I give the US credit for creating the world's first national park
It's also quite possible that we may have also created the world's first wildlife refuge. The National Wildlife Refuge system is based off of the system first created in California. The first of CA's refuges is the rather humble and urban Lake Merritt Refuge in Oakland, CA which predates not only the national refuge system but also Yellowstone National Park by 33 years.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
LOL most Americans don't work 60-80 hours a week. In fact, even adjusted by subtracting 2 weeks per year for vacation, the average American works 36 or so hours a week. This translates to 1788 hours per year.

Average annual hours actually worked per worker

Differences in Average Working Hours Around the World | Top Universities

The average number of hours worked for OECD countries (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development) is 1770 hours per week, which (adjusted by two weeks) equals about half an hour less per week than Americans.

Asian countries are notorious for having significantly longer work weeks than the US, by the way. Same with eastern European countries.

Just to put things in perspective.

Honestly, it's not very difficult to look this stuff up, rather than spouting erroneous information as if it were fact.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:45 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It's also quite possible that we may have also created the world's first wildlife refuge. The National Wildlife Refuge system is based off of the system first created in California. The first of CA's refuges is the rather humble and urban Lake Merritt Refuge in Oakland, CA which predates not only the national refuge system but also Yellowstone National Park by 33 years.
Other countries might not have a wildlife refuge and park distinction. British National Parks included developed area, they're rather different than the American concept. Adirondack State Park, which is a patchwork of preserved public land and regulated private land might be more similar.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:08 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Other countries might not have a wildlife refuge and park distinction. British National Parks included developed area, they're rather different than the American concept. Adirondack State Park, which is a patchwork of preserved public land and regulated private land might be more similar.
So then we have the only wildlife refuge system.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:18 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,934,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL most Americans don't work 60-80 hours a week. In fact, even adjusted by subtracting 2 weeks per year for vacation, the average American works 36 or so hours a week. This translates to 1788 hours per year.

Average annual hours actually worked per worker

Differences in Average Working Hours Around the World | Top Universities
Did you read the articles you are referring to? One of them says

Quote:
Casey, based in Portland, says the general cultural expectation in the US remains the traditional “9 to 5” – but that it’s increasingly common to work beyond this. “In many industries and regions, upwards of 12 hours per day has become the norm.” Nicole, also based in Portland, agrees that while eight hours per day is often the "official" expectation, many employees feel they need to work longer hours if they want to get ahead. Professional sectors particularly known for “crazy hours” include the legal, medical and airline sectors.

Clement, originally from France and having spent time working in the US, Malta and the UK, says the US definitely has the longest working hours expectations of these four countries. “American companies do not seem to impose any working hour restrictions on their employees. With the choice to work 24/7, a 70-hour week could be completely normal in the US.”
This is pretty anecdotal but does seem to back up what everybody knows already. I have become somewhat distrustful of your official statistics as they tend to picture the US a little too rosy for my taste. You didn't answer my question btw.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Did you read the articles you are referring to? One of them says

This is pretty anecdotal but does seem to back up what everybody knows already. I have become somewhat distrustful of your official statistics as they tend to picture the US a little too rosy for my taste. You didn't answer my question btw.
I will go with unbiased, objective studies over anecdotal pseudo evidence every time, but you do whatever you want. I know it's a lot easier to sling unsubstantiated stereotypes and biased opinions around than it is to do even the most cursory research, and it probably feels really good to some people too.

By the way, I never said that SOME American in SOME industries don't work long hours. Heck, my own husband works 84 hours a week! When he's working. He only works 26 weeks a year though. He's completely off the other 26 weeks out of the year.

The AVERAGE work week for Americans is under 40 hours a week. You can choose to believe that or not - I really don't care. I worked in the employment field for several decades and I know it's easy to look this stuff up, and it's easy to reach the same conclusions independently when one works with a wide range of companies in a wide range of industries.

And I had already answered the question you asked for someone else a few posts back. I don't really like to repeat myself. The question you asked had been asked and answered in detail, not just by me but by others as well, already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World