Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 03:57 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
I can only wonder why you want so badly for Canada to be a warm country. The average yearly mean for Vancouver is 10. 10 is chilly with similar weather and sun to London. Vancouver is a climate anomaly in Canada and our resort city. 99% of Canada is much colder than Vancouver. Even if you drive 45 minutes inland from Vancouver it is alot colder. Did you know that only 5% of Canadian land is unarable? That means we can only grow things on 5% of the land. Almost all of the land are in small concentrated area where you find these cities (Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary). All these cities are in location of climate anomalies so that they are warmer than surrounding areas. I am from Canada, as are my family since centuries ago. When our ancestors first came to arrive, most of them died from the cold. Do people die from the cold in England? No...You don't know what cold is. Have you seen it snow in June? Right, tell me what cold is.
Most people in Canada live in large cities close to the U.S border.. Are they colder from December to March yup - but the weather isn't that unpleasant in October, November, April and is either pleasant or hot from May - September in most of the populated areas of Canada... So the truth is for most Canadians half the year has good weather while a third is unpleasant with the rest being ok..

Last edited by fusion2; 01-22-2015 at 04:10 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 04:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Being cold overall, doesn't mean it doesn't get warm ever. It just means the annual average is… cold.
People don't relate the temperature outside at any given time of any given day to an "annual average" they relate the temperature outside at that moment by how it feels at that time.. So right now on this Jan 22 I walk outside in Toronto its damned cold... not going to rationalize it by saying well its not that cold because the annual average is more pleasant.. Same thing when I walk outside in mid July or August - its damned Hot at that time...Thus for most Canadians Canada is Hot and Cold with periods in between while transitioning from one to the other...

Old 01-22-2015, 08:18 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I suppose that someone from Reykjavik, Stavanger, Bergen, Aberdeen or Belfast would find summers in Montreal borderline tropical!
And a person from Montreal would find the winters of these cities subtropical

Old 01-23-2015, 06:54 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Not Reykjavik, but for the others, maybe not subtropical but certainly much more temperate and mild than what they are used to. Similar to Paris or Washington, DC.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:17 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
They certainly find winters in Vancouver mild. I remember working on VIA Rail, when the train would cross from Winnipeg to Vancouver. It was freezing cold all the way, snow and ice, until we hit the Fraser Valley and it seemed like the jungle in comparison. Green, wet and so much warmer. Of course it's all relative. 12 C seems very warm compared to -6C.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:03 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I think Windsor, Ontario is one of the best climates on earth. It has 4 distinct seasons with snowy cold but not frigid winters, warm but not too hot summers perfect for all kind of outdoor activities, and gradually cooler autumns. Sunny, but not endlessly sunny, good amount of rain to keep it green during the whole warm season, and a few extremes once in a while to make it interesting. My only qualm is that the springs could be a couple of degrees C warmer.

I have absolutely no interest in climates like San Diego, with practically pretty much the same weather every day.

I tend to agree.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:14 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Nah. Canada is too cold. Detroit has a much better climate.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:57 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Nah. Canada is too cold. Detroit has a much better climate.
Don't forget Minneapolis.....far superior to any climate in Canada....Fargo too

Old 01-24-2015, 01:38 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Regarding London's climate, I was there a few weeks ago, and I had plenty of days where I saw a good amount of blue skies. Hell, I had days that were completely sunny. London being a perpetually cloudy and drizzly city in winter is nothing more than........just a stereotype. I also lived in the London area for 5 months before, and one February it was literally 100% sunny for a few weeks. Oh, and, it doesn't drizzle all the time, either. The two weeks I spent in the area last month (this was my 3rd visit, by the way), only a few days it drizzled, not all 14. Is London dreary? Only if you suffer from SAD or are from a sunny climate. Otherwise, London is alright. I much prefer it's oceanic climate much better than my present continental one.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:53 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah this is the only issue with it, it really is a trade off between convenience and security.. Having said that, there are mechanisms in place to nulify that damage and that would be to immediately report the card lost/stolen as soon as you are aware and dispute charges that weren't made by you..

I rarely pay for anything with cash anymore and always use my Aerogold infinite Visa so to me that card is a part of my body
how do you pay online? For example you get pizza delivery? Do you have to sign something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.