Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 04:43 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Its funny how you seem to be an expert on so many things, you are half right but you are not being honest because the vast majority are not channelling their ''anger'' into Crime. I think I should know very well how tough it is to be a ''minority'' in the UK, I can conform that many don't go into crime.

The UK is no more or less messed up a society than France, Canada or Germany.

You see when you make statements such as ''many'' and ''tend'' you need to clarify what exactly you mean. Especially topics like this which are very sensitive, you are not being honest just rude and COUNTRY BASHING no more no less.

Yes you are right that Non-White Brits are more likely to be in poverty and face racism meaning their less exposed to good opportunities not to mention a feeling of being looked down on --- but then concluding in your own words ''a lot of young minority kids with no sense of purpose carrying knives'' is offensive to the ''minority kids'' and again a massive generalisation you probably got from the media.

Personally I think you are a Colombian national who has maybe gone to a couple of Countries in your life and then come on City-Data to talk about your ''travels'' only to base all your knowledge on popular stereotypes and massive generalisations.
and the award for pointing out the obvious goes to plondon

Old 01-21-2015, 05:39 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Its funny how you seem to be an expert on so many things, you are half right but you are not being honest because the vast majority are not channelling their ''anger'' into Crime. I think I should know very well how tough it is to be a ''minority'' in the UK, I can conform that many don't go into crime.

The UK is no more or less messed up a society than France, Canada or Germany.

You see when you make statements such as ''many'' and ''tend'' you need to clarify what exactly you mean. Especially topics like this which are very sensitive, you are not being honest just rude and COUNTRY BASHING no more no less.

Yes you are right that Non-White Brits are more likely to be in poverty and face racism meaning their less exposed to good opportunities not to mention a feeling of being looked down on --- but then concluding in your own words ''a lot of young minority kids with no sense of purpose carrying knives'' is offensive to the ''minority kids'' and again a massive generalisation you probably got from the media.

Personally I think you are a Colombian national who has maybe gone to a couple of Countries in your life and then come on City-Data to talk about your ''travels'' only to base all your knowledge on popular stereotypes and massive generalisations.
It's especially ironic considering that the average minority in the UK lives a better life than the indigenous in Colombia do . Most of us Latin Americans aren't pompous like this, P London.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:36 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London spends less time raining than most major US cities, including Miami (that is hours of rainfall per year, not just days). Most rainy days in London have between 5-60 mins of rainfall. The stereotype of constant drizzle is clearly just a stereotype with only 109 rainy days per year.

Also London gets 1650 hours of sun and only 430 hours of rain, so it's quite clear which is more common. Anyway, I'm done debating with trolls for the morning, got to go to work with those sunny skies outside.
London also gets far less sunlight than any city in the continental United States. Even Seattle gets about 400 more sunlight hours. You need to go to Alaska to find a similar lack of sunlight.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:42 AM

London has a very dreary climate. It is common knowledge. I am not sure why some are so openly offended by this.
Arguing that London is not dreary is like arguing that Canada is not cold. The vast majority of human beings do not live in a place with such limited sunshine.

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-22-2015 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 01-22-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Maybe, but some of what she is saying is more realistic than what other have to say. London has a very dreary climate. It is common knowledge. I am not sure why some are so openly offended by this.
Arguing that London is not dreary is like arguing that Canada is not cold. The vast majority of human beings do not live in a place with such limited sunshine.
Thank you!! and then some brits here are arguing with me that london has less rain and more sunshine than MIAMI

I mean honestly!

Old 01-22-2015, 05:49 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,126 times
London has less rain and less sunshine than Miami.

Its sunny with clouds in London...VERY DREARY!

Last edited by P London; 01-22-2015 at 05:57 AM..

Old 01-22-2015, 05:56 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,591,349 times
Nobody said London is sunnier than Miami. I said London has less rain and fewer rainy days/hours, which is true. Not sure how it can be called dreary when there are 256 days of the year that don't rain, and most days record some sunshine (fewer overcast days than Seattle).

That 'common knowledge' is based entirely on an incorrect stereotype, and only ever seems to come from people who have never lived here.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Nobody said London is sunnier than Miami. I said London has less rain and fewer rainy days/hours, which is true. Not sure how it can be called dreary when there are 256 days of the year that don't rain, and most days record some sunshine (fewer overcast days than Seattle).
London weather: light rain / drizzle / more light rain / cloudy / more clouds / grey / more clouds / some sun / then more clouds / then more light rain for the next four days / then more gray

I don't know what is so offensive, its a FACT

Old 01-22-2015, 06:02 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Maybe, but some of what she is saying is more realistic than what other have to say. London has a very dreary climate. It is common knowledge. I am not sure why some are so openly offended by this.
London really isn't all that dreary, sorry its just a fact rather than a stupid stereotype.

Canada isn't ''cold'' either the country has a temperate climate. How can a place be called ''cold'' when temperatures throughout the country can reach 30c or higher every year?

The Scottish highlands is cold, Iceland can be described as cold but not a Country that sees very variable temperatures.

Its like arguing the USA is a ''hot'' Country despite the fact the majority of the Country sees snow every year...

Old 01-22-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:

That 'common knowledge' is based entirely on an incorrect stereotype, and only ever seems to come from people who have never lived here.
I'm sorry, but you really are deep in the abyss of denial. I'm not going to waste anymore time debating such a silly topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.