Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 04:12 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
undeveloped people and the US doesn't make sudden changes like other countries do.
I'm in Seattle right now. Another thing is having to sign for credit card purchases. It's like going back in time.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:19 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
undeveloped people and the US doesn't make sudden changes like other countries do.
We gotta hurry up and start cutting door to door mail delivery!

Old 01-16-2015, 04:35 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm in Seattle right now. Another thing is having to sign for credit card purchases. It's like going back in time.
You mean you can't use the tap function when you make a credit card purchase

Old 01-16-2015, 09:24 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You mean you can't use the tap function when you make a credit card purchase
Tapping and chips with PIN numbers aren't really that common for credit card payments in the US. At least not in the northeast. You have to sign everywhere. Unless it's changed in the past 3-4 months.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:41 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Tapping and chips with PIN numbers aren't really that common for credit card payments in the US. .
I was being facetious

I've used my credit card quite a bit down in the States and the last time I went a few month ago it was still required to sign the receipt.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:45 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Tapping and chips with PIN numbers aren't really that common for credit card payments in the US. At least not in the northeast. You have to sign everywhere. Unless it's changed in the past 3-4 months.
Never heard of tapping. Wouldn't have heard of PINs until I went to Europe. Store: PIN number for your card? Me: Huh? What's that? Store: Disbelief a credit card didn't have a pin.

The Spanish RENFE website rejects almost all American credit cards, perhaps for that reason. American debit cards do have a pin. I can't remember being asked for a credit card pin in Canada but perhaps I forgot.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:03 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,531,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Never heard of tapping. Wouldn't have heard of PINs until I went to Europe. Store: PIN number for your card? Me: Huh? What's that? Store: Disbelief a credit card didn't have a pin.

The Spanish RENFE website rejects almost all American credit cards, perhaps for that reason. American debit cards do have a pin. I can't remember being asked for a credit card pin in Canada but perhaps I forgot.
We do have them. The one thing Americans actually need to get on top of is getting rid of the penny. Best thing we ever did in Canada.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:29 AM

244 posts, read 362,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Absolutely!

I would also question this poster as being British, considering he refers to US shows and movies as "our": As for American culture on the Brits? Certainly, I don't know why, but you guys love some of our ****ty TV and crappy movies

I also think most Americans ARE intelligent enough to realise that "Christian Bale" is British, among others. I've visited the States about ten times in the last fifteen years or so (mostly Texas, as my in-laws are there) and find most of the people I've met are fascinated and quite knowledgeable about the UK and the culture it projects. I've even been to a club in Houston where the playlist is primarily 80's British alternative/synth-pop which was pretty cool! Obviously the likes of Irene want to paint Americans as being ignorant because it serves her argument and her tiresome Brit-bashing.
I am both American and British. Do you really think I would lie about my ethnicity?

America is very large and has a population of well over 300 million people, finding a club that plays alternate music hardly means anything (not to mention, I did concede that British music has had good representation in the United States). There are people who know about the UK, but there are many, many, who don't know anything. I live in NY and most people here don't know or care about Britain. I would assume that if I went to Idaho, there would be even less people.

I have no idea why people are so contrary to the idea that the United Kingdom is not that influential over the United States, is there some type of competition between the two countries that I am missing out on?

Christian Bale never uses a British accent in his movies, why on Earth would most Americans be aware that he is British? That seems very unrealistic, unless you're exaggerating by using the word most.

Last edited by violent by design; 01-17-2015 at 10:37 AM..

Old 01-17-2015, 11:47 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Canada has it's debit machines set up to accept magnetic stripes as well for American tourists.

Tapping. Another one I forgot about that I haven't seen in the US yet either.

These are minor things in the long run, but it does hep explain to some Americans why people from other places roll their eyes when some Americans go on about how " developed " they are.

It's not always said in those words, but it is implied by some of the questions I get asked when in the U.S.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:24 PM

484 posts, read 1,287,072 times
When I lived in the U.S, when I wanted to deposit money into my bank account, I had to fill out a deposit slip like it was 1992.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World