Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 08:01 AM

327 posts, read 569,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Singapore is like a benevolent dictatorship. It's successful but incredibly sterile.

The only reason to live there is for a job, there is nothing else attractive about the place.
? It’s clean. I find the absence of litter to be quite attractive.
Traffic moves smoothly, and it is very easy to get around on public transportation

Oh, and the food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 12:04 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
? It’s clean. I find the absence of litter to be quite attractive.
Traffic moves smoothly, and it is very easy to get around on public transportation

Oh, and the food.
Ok, I will agree about the food. The food is very good.

To me, "clean" isn't a reason to visit a city. I don't get it. Any U.S. suburb is "clean", doesn't make me want to visit the local Applebees.

Public transit in Singapore is good, but doesn't seem to be automatically better than other first-world cities. It seemed utilitarian but fine. I don't see why it would be considered better transit than other rich East Asian cities, and I wouldn't visit a city because of the public transit alone. Rome has horrible public transit but is a fantastic city to visit.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:34 AM

653 posts, read 744,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
Really? Are you sure of this?
Everything i heard about it is positive. It's a hot touristic spot and a great place to live.
There is a great city life, beach and nature not far away. Good place to visits and eat and drink...
I live in Singapore all my life, and here is my perspective:

It is a great place to live if you are looking for low crime rate (when I say low, I mean really low), great shopping (over 50 shopping malls of different kinds), incredible easy to start a business (although maintaining it is really difficult).

But I am not so sure about the press about Singapore being litter-free; i mean, yeah, in the business district and shopping areas, it is pretty clean, but not all areas are that really clean.......

But it really started with economic sucess; the idea is to be a hub-and-spoke of everything: air hub for Asia-Pacific, sea trade hub, logistics hub, tourism hub.......

Every now and the, the CEOs of MNCs are feted and invited to come to Singapore to set up regional headquarters. Don't discount the Petrochemical mega-complex at Jurong Island - for too long, that has been overshadowed by the financial district, but that area is incredibly important; very few areas in the Asia-Pacific even come close.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:19 AM

8,489 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Singapore prosperity is pretty much an illusion for most ordinary people. If you're one of the wealthy elites it's a great place to live. Not so much out in the HDB estates.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:16 PM

304 posts, read 782,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
...Rome has horrible public transit but is a fantastic city to visit.
Yeah, but would you live there? Earlier, you said you wouldn't want to live in Singapore. Visiting and living are different.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Singapore prosperity is pretty much an illusion for most ordinary people. If you're one of the wealthy elites it's a great place to live. Not so much out in the HDB estates.
The same could be said of most countries in the West. It's great to live in the US, if you're one of the wealthy elites. Not so much out in the public housing projects...which are 100X more dangerous than those in Singapore.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:23 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev101 View Post
Yeah, but would you live there? Earlier, you said you wouldn't want to live in Singapore. Visiting and living are different.
Most definitely. I would love to live in Rome, I would not love to live in Singapore.

Rome is one of the most gorgeous and historic cities on earth. Singapore is basically a bunch of commieblock apartment buildings and shopping malls. People move there for work, for the most part. It has a much higher standard of living than the rest of SE Asia, so people want to work there, to provide for their families.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:44 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Hanging (and possible firing squad) for people being involved in rather 'milder' forms of crimes, such as drug trafficking, treason and mutiny.

Yep, a very successful country.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:57 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Hanging (and possible firing squad) for people being involved in rather 'milder' forms of crimes, such as drug trafficking, treason and mutiny.

Yep, a very successful country.

The economy is successful, civil liberties are not, but Singaporeans don't really seem to care about it so...I guess it doesn't matter that much for them.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The economy is successful, civil liberties are not, but Singaporeans don't really seem to care about it so...I guess it doesn't matter that much for them.
i would love to move to and live in singapore. for me safety from crime and a successful economy trumps everything else...especially if you have a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World