Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:59 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Any country that has free college education and free health care
Denmark I believe would fit that description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 02:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Finland or Sweden are definitely worth considering. You'll survive really easy in some rural hellhole, buy a 90's Mazda and work some easy crappy job. Even the scenery is similar to Minnesota! We don't have a minimum wage, but they are negotiated by the unions. In any case they are far better than the US federal minimum. The income tax is steeply progressive here, low-income people don't pay more taxes in Finland than in the US, BUT you'll get universal healthcare and social subsidies if necessary.

Buy this one: Viistotie 7, Kauhava | Oikotie

Cheap as dirt, only €76k!

Isn't this some kind of paradise to you?
https://www.google.fi/maps/@63.10029...nTUzemxKmw!2e0
What do ghettos in Helsinki look like? how much is rent for apartments in various parts of the city?

Old 02-26-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
any country in western europe , the wellfare state in the usa is wafer thin compared to europe

i say that as someone who thinks the wellfare state in western europe is unsustainable in its current form BTW
How so? idk much about the welfare state of Europe.

in America its not that bad, we have food stamps.. but it seems to be more catered to single moms, throwing us lazy dudes with no kids under the bus.

Our main negative is high rent and ghetto neighborhoods.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:50 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
How so? idk much about the welfare state of Europe.

in America its not that bad, we have food stamps.. but it seems to be more catered to single moms, throwing us lazy dudes with no kids under the bus.

Our main negative is high rent and ghetto neighborhoods.
Each European COUNTRY on the CONTINENT of Europe has a different system not ALL have welfare systems because EUROPE is divided into different COUNTRIES.

In the UK we have Jobseekers allowance (if you're seeking a job obviously ), Income support (if you are over 16 and living alone in education or you don't earn enough on wages), Child benefits (if you have a child obviously), disability living allowance (if you are disabled) and we have housing benefits (if you can't afford the rent) but I beg you don't come here taking our tax money.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Each European COUNTRY on the CONTINENT of Europe has a different system not ALL have welfare systems because EUROPE is divided into different COUNTRIES.
Holy crap! really?

Quote:
In the UK we have Jobseekers allowance (if you're seeking a job obviously ), Income support (if you are over 16 and living alone in education or you don't earn enough on wages), Child benefits (if you have a child obviously), disability living allowance (if you are disabled) and we have housing benefits (if you can't afford the rent) but I beg you don't come here taking our tax money.
That is good, as much as i'd love to experience life in your country.. i'm just interested in how people in a similar situation of mine are doing in other parts of the world.

I'm actually kind of disappointed you would beg me not to go there i would welcome you with open arms if you wanted to move here.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Holy crap! really?
You worship crap in 'Murica?

Quote:
That is good, as much as i'd love to experience life in your country.. i'm just interested in how people in a similar situation of mine are doing in other parts of the world.

I'm actually kind of disappointed you would beg me not to go there i would welcome you with open arms if you wanted to move here.
What is your situation? Are you living under the poverty line? And you can come here as long as you don't come within 1 mile of me.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
What is your situation? Are you living under the poverty line? And you can come here as long as you don't come within 1 mile of me.
Well i am about to drop out of community college and i work at a fast food joint, however i am fortunate enough to live with my mommy and daddy in a upper middle class suburb

I was in the process of planning out the rest of my life and was wondering what its like for people in other countries so i made this thread

and moving to England is not part of my plan so don't worry, i plan on moving to Chicago when they raise their min wage to $13 an hour in 2019

Old 02-26-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Well i am about to drop out of community college and i work at a fast food joint, however i am fortunate enough to live with my mommy and daddy in a upper middle class suburb

I was in the process of planning out the rest of my life and was wondering what its like for people in other countries so i made this thread

and moving to England is not part of my plan so don't worry, i plan on moving to Chicago when they raise their min wage to $13 an hour in 2019
Wait, so why don't you just borrow some money from your parents?

Old 02-26-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Wait, so why don't you just borrow some money from your parents?
That shouldn't be necessary, one who lives in a rich developed nation shouldn't have to borrow money to survive.

I'm not worried about surviving but i am worried about those less fortunate than me, what are the people who are just like me doing that aren't raised in a middle class family? or the ones with strict parents that kick them out at age 18? its sad.

Your only choice is to work at a national park where they give you shelter but you still need a way to get there, plus what if you don't like the outdoors?

Old 02-26-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
That shouldn't be necessary, one who lives in a rich developed nation shouldn't have to borrow money to survive.

I'm not worried about surviving but i am worried about those less fortunate than me, what are the people who are just like me doing that aren't raised in a middle class family? or the ones with strict parents that kick them out at age 18? its sad.

Your only choice is to work at a national park where they give you shelter but you still need a way to get there, plus what if you don't like the outdoors?
What's it like for those less fortunate than yourself?

Relative poverty is what I think you are getting at. Imagine never going on any holidays, no back up money, little to no luxuries, low job aspects due to bad education in your deprived area, lack of role models and modest to crap living conditions for a rich country.

The only way to know how the other half live is to live like one for a month...in South Bronx, NYC

Absolute poverty - think of mud huts and people working in sweat shops to make our clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World