Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 08:27 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,115,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Students here of all ages generally say "Mr or Mrs Smith" or "Professor Smith."

And most students and teachers don't curse in their interactions with each other. I mean, they may do so under their breath but they're not likely to say, "Hey, man! How the **** are you doing today? What the **** did you eat for lunch? Where the **** are you going after class? How 'bout those ****ing Patriots!!!!!"
I would assume that swearing and foul language (by both students and teachers) in general are pretty universally verboten in schools all around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:28 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,115,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
We were hooligans and we made teachers cry. But we learned. And eventually, we became civilised persons.
Most of you, anyway!

Old 03-11-2015, 08:33 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,820,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
True - and it's really not an inconvenience in a casual setting at all. I mean, we already do it in some very casual situations. For instance, we were at a huge flea market the other day and there is a big eating area with picnic tables all around, and people would go get their food and then just sit down anywhere there was a seat, with other people if necessary. But this was OUTSIDE and super casual so that probably made all the difference.

I could see how it definitely WOULDN'T be ideal in a nice restaurant where you might take a dinner date. But otherwise, it seems like a practical, reasonable idea. When I lived in Germany, it never seemed bothersome at all. It's not like you have to carry on a conversation with the other party other than a polite greeting.

I think everyone knows this - including most Americans. It's a weird law.

In our defense, I have yet to live in or visit a country that doesn't have some sort of really weird laws.
It's similar here, where there are communal tables exclusively at fairs, markets, ecc. I could also see it working in a pizzeria or a trattoria (Family-run restaurants), but it's not enforced there, it seems a way to get to know more people and make friendships way more easily espeially for someone who's new to the city.

Weird laws are certainly everywhere, there are quite a few at communal level in Italy, for example the prohibition to wear clogs in Capri, the prohibition to wear clothes who aren't in order in Milan (They can fine you up to 40 euros), the prohibition to kiss in a car in Eboli, ecc.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:40 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,855,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I would assume that swearing and foul language (by both students and teachers) in general are pretty universally verboten in schools all around the world.
In theory, yes. In reality, no. I had a friend who went to the military academy and after leaving as an Ensign he got a job in a high school. He sometimes made the pupils stand in attention etc. We cursed a lot and some teachers did it too. One teacher broke his wooden pointer hitting it on his desk and another one challenged a pupil to an arm wrestling match just to shut him up. But I guess it was a different world in the 90's. I was physically assaulted by a teacher as well.

I actually could take a job as a temporary high school teacher, but I definitely will curse, shout and throw my pencils around.

Quote:
Most of you, anyway!
Most of us, yes. We weren't morons, just undiciplined. But eventually when we tried we got pretty good degrees.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:44 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,820,503 times
Quote:
This thread got me thinking: how do students refer to their teachers were you live?
Here it's maestra (teacher) in elementary school and professore in middle school and secondary school (professor). Her ecalling your teacher by its first name is considered unrespectful

Old 03-11-2015, 08:46 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,628,507 times
Quote:
This thread got me thinking: how do students refer to their teachers were you live?
We just called teachers 'miss' and 'sir' during primary and secondary education. I don't really remember what we called them in university.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:45 AM

8,874 posts, read 8,471,348 times
Quote:
Call them "teacher" in front of them, and you'd have to act all polite and under control.

Then we badmouth them behind their backs as most of them are freaks and annoying as ****.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:14 PM

659 posts, read 941,974 times
USA:

Mr./Miss/Ms./Mrs. XXXXX = Pre-K/Kindergarten/Elementary/Jr.High/High School

Professor XXXX/Doctor XXXX/Mr./Miss/Ms./Mrs. XXXXX = College/University
XXXXX = College/University

I mentioned College/University twice because it depends on the professor. There were some professors that taught university classes that insisted on us students calling them by their first names OR a nickname. Some professors demanded we called them professor XXXX or doctor XXXX (if they had a Doctorate) and nothing else. Some prefered Mr.XXXX or Mrs.XXXX and so on you get the idea.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:37 AM

8,874 posts, read 8,471,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
First names? Definitely not used in school or at university.
Really? Didn't expect that. I thought teachers and students in the West have more equal relations.
We call some teachers their first names here, only the friendly ones of course. If the teachers are from the West, everybody calls them their names.

Btw do you guys friend your teachers on Facebook? I mean, assuming both sides have a Facebook page.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:14 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,714,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Really? Didn't expect that. I thought teachers and students in the West have more equal relations.
We call some teachers their first names here, only the friendly ones of course. If the teachers are from the West, everybody calls them their names.

Btw do you guys friend your teachers on Facebook? I mean, assuming both sides have a Facebook page.
um, no.
As a teacher myself...I do not friend my students on facebook/instagram/snapChat, nor do they call me by my first name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World