Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Switzerland or Australia?
Switzerland 37 43.53%
Australia 48 56.47%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 03:51 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
IT IS, trust me I have been all over the world and few places wow'ed me like Switzerland!!

Picture it honey... Spring, sunny skies, the Matterhorn rising up in front of your eyes, and around you green lush mountains full of flowers, crystal clear lakes, cows with bells in the distance, air so clean you can feel it clean your lungs!!! Even in Geneva the quality of the water is as good as Evian water (Evian is nearby)

Switzerland is truly truly truly pristine, it's one of the most well organized, clean, safest and just wow places I've been to!!!

Where in Australia can you find this?

Courtesy Berneroberland

courtesy: Swiss-world

Courtesy: European-wonders

Courtesy: geneva-travelpod

Courtesy: international-studies-laussane

Courtesy: swiss holiday

Courtesy: gruyere-tourism

Courtesy: Gruyere-tourism

courtesy: beautiful-switzerland

Courtesy: prowatches-swiss hublot

Courtesy: swiss chocolatiers world

Courtesy: Chamonix online

Sky anyone honey?
Courtesy: European wonders

Yeah Canadians might vote for Australia because it resembles Canada, but have you seen Canada? AHEEEM!!!! most of it it's flat and sparsely populated, and most cities outside Montreal are pretty much big suburbias with nothing to do other than stay in doors because it's freezing cold most of the year!!! (WOW I WANNA GO LIVE IN EDMONTON NOW! OR WINNIPEG!! THE CULTURE, THE CLASS!!! "roll eyes")

Australia is also quite repetitive, Australians go on and on and on about the beaches (Ive seen better beaches in South America), the variety of the landscapes (most of it it's reddish desert with some jungles in northern queensland and some mountains around New south wales), about the variety of animals (Australia is not even among the top five most bio-diverse places on the planet)

not being offensive

just realistic

and yes go to google earth and go around brisbane, melbourne, sydney, it's mostly suburbia and highways like the US!

not to even mention the fact that if you get tired of clean air, lush mountains, good chocolate, cheese you can hop on a train and go to Paris in 3 hours, or go down to the mediterranean in a matter of four hours, or spend a day shopping in Milan, or

If you get tired of same old same old Australia where do you go?

oh and weather: Australia can be hell in the summer, I was told most people don't even go out during the day in summer in places like Adelaide because it's infernally hot! Switzerland's summers it's 25 degrees, sun, go to a lake have a picnic and swim naked in the middle of a beautifil mountain valley!!
You really don't get it, HONEY. You clearly don't know what pristine means, HONEY. NONE of the pictures that you showed (violating forum rules BTW) are pristine in the slightest, HONEY.

Here you go, have some education, it's free. Pristine | Definition of pristine by Merriam-Webster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 03:54 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,956,021 times
You're telling me what australia looks like when I live here.

We have tropical rainforests, world class wineries, mountain ranges, the great Barrier reef and the islands surrounding them, great hidden beaches, temperate bushland and temperate rainforests, cities with green spaces, and nice country towns with as much history as you can fit into 200 years.

I'm not denying that switzerland is a wonderful place, because from the pictures you've provided, it looks wonderful. I'm just trying to clear up some misconceptions you may have about Australia.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:56 AM

73 posts, read 156,377 times
Quote:
IT IS, trust me I have been all over the world and few places wow'ed me like Switzerland!!

Picture it honey... Spring, sunny skies, the Matterhorn rising up in front of your eyes, and around you green lush mountains full of flowers, crystal clear lakes, cows with bells in the distance, air so clean you can feel it clean your lungs!!! Even in Geneva the quality of the water is as good as Evian water (Evian is nearby)

Switzerland is truly truly truly pristine, it's one of the most well organized, clean, safest and just wow places I've been to!!!

Where in Australia can you find this?

oh and weather: Australia can be hell in the summer, I was told most people don't even go out during the day in summer in places like Adelaide because it's infernally hot! Switzerland's summers it's 25 degrees, sun, go to a lake have a picnic and swim naked in the middle of a beautifil mountain valley!!

I have to agree that the scenery in Switzerland is spectacular with the alps and lakes, but you still can't get beaches or rainforest like you do in Australia. Both are beautiful in their own right.

You'd actually be surprised at how hot and humid switzerland can get in summer... in the summer of 2013 it was surprisingly hot, I seem to recall a few weeks of being in the mid 30's and rather humid. Having said that, it obviously still isn't as hot as australian summers on average.

Yes, being clean, organised, and safe is good... but it does come at a price. Everything is sterile and robotic. People don't seem to have life or a soul here. They are just concerned about working and making money. In Australia you get the feeling that there is more life to the place.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:56 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ View Post
Switzerland

- Very unfriendly and unwelcoming people
- People seem depressed and never laugh or smile, almost robotic without a soul.
- Racism and Xenophobia
Swiss are not unfriendly, they won't just talk your head off like Americans or Australians! Swiss are Europeans so when they are YOUR FRIENDS, you WILL have a friend for a life time who'll go above and beyond for you!!!

they are very quiet but loyal people.

While Australians chitchat like Americans but ask them for a favor and they'll be surprised because they don't really know you, (they just talked a lot to you it's all)

About racism and xenophobia, I don't know in what world you got this idea that Swiss are racist and Australians are open and friendly.... There is ongoing lynching of indian university students in Melbourne (australia's most liberal welcoming city), if that happens in melbourne imagine what it must be like in Wollongong or Bogondongo Queensland for people of color!

Go to youtube and type racism Australia, you'll see tons of videos of Australians openly screaming and offending Asians, blacks, arabs on public places while everyone just sit around filming sometimes even laughing!!!

There is even a video of an australian anglo threatening to physically fight an African woman and her baby because she was talking on the phone and then he storms out of the train wagon screaming, go back to Africa you black B****!!!

I didn't see that kind of behavior in Switzerland.... the swiss are cold and quiet, but once you get to know them, they are like family!

Old 04-26-2015, 03:58 AM

Quote:
I have to agree that the scenery in Switzerland is spectacular with the alps and lakes, but you still can't get beaches or rainforest like you do in Australia. Both are beautiful in their own right.

You'd actually be surprised at how hot and humid switzerland can get in summer... in the summer of 2013 it was surprisingly hot, I seem to recall a few weeks of being in the mid 30's and rather humid. Having said that, it obviously still isn't as hot as australian summers on average.
I lived in Switzerland... Swiss hot is 29 degrees (I lived in Geneva in 2013) Nyon Exactly!

Australia hot is 56 degrees!!!!

Old 04-26-2015, 04:01 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Swiss are not unfriendly, they won't just talk your head off like Americans or Australians! Swiss are Europeans so when they are YOUR FRIENDS, you WILL have a friend for a life time who'll go above and beyond for you!!!

they are very quiet but loyal people.

While Australians chitchat like Americans but ask them for a favor and they'll be surprised because they don't really know you, (they just talked a lot to you it's all)

About racism and xenophobia, I don't know in what world you got this idea that Swiss are racist and Australians are open and friendly.... There is ongoing lynching of indian university students in Melbourne (australia's most liberal welcoming city), if that happens in melbourne imagine what it must be like in Wollongong or Bogondongo Queensland for people of color!

Go to youtube and type racism Australia, you'll see tons of videos of Australians openly screaming and offending Asians, blacks, arabs on public places while everyone just sit around filming sometimes even laughing!!!

There is even a video of an australian anglo threatening to physically fight an African woman and her baby because she was talking on the phone and then he storms out of the train wagon screaming, go back to Africa you black B****!!!

I didn't see that kind of behavior in Switzerland.... the swiss are cold and quiet, but once you get to know them, they are like family!
show me these on going "lynchings "

Do you even know what a lynching is?

Your posts are so ignorant. You should be embarrassed, but please,continue to make a fool of yourself.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:04 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,643 times
Quote:
I lived in Switzerland... Swiss hot is 29 degrees (I lived in Geneva in 2013) Nyon Exactly!

Australia hot is 56 degrees!!!!
The hottest temperature ever recorded in Australia was 50.7 C.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:05 AM

Quote:

Yes, being clean, organised, and safe is good... but it does come at a price. Everything is sterile and robotic. People don't seem to have life or a soul here. They are just concerned about working and making money. In Australia you get the feeling that there is more life to the place.
Australia is just as overruled as Switzerland....

it is in fact one of the most suburban places on the planet meaning most of its is pretty lawns, big houses that look alike and miles and miles of nothingness, just sterile pretty robotic suburbias!!!

over 90% of Australians live in Suburbias
Globalization, Suburbanization and the Creative Workforce: Findings from Australian Suburban Communities | Terry Flew - Academia.edu

Australians are ok, they don't strike me as friendly... friendly to me it's Africans who invite you over and cook for you and the whole family sit around talking to you and making you feel like a family member.

Australians are pretty much like americans, they smile and chit chat (the Australian anglo women though are catty, they were always very "competitive" with me, you know that female I am gonna compete with you kinda thing), the men are ok.

They are talkative, I wouldn't call them friendly thought, and of course if you're black or asian then anglo-aussies probably will treat you differently.... don't think a european gets the same smiles a somalian gets in Australia!

Old 04-26-2015, 04:10 AM

73 posts, read 156,377 times
Quote:
Sure, if you want to invest at least 5+ years into the CHANCE of that person accepting you as a friend. That is how long it usually takes here. I've known other expats who have been here as long as 10 years and haven't been able to make a single friend. They live a lonely, depressed life and are only here for the money.

Quote:

I do agree with you there, Australians are openly racist. Swiss are equally as racist, but in a passive way. With aussies what you see is what you get, with the swiss you don't always know because they will just talk about you behind your back. The Swiss have been trying to restrict foreigners for years, its always the biggest hot topic in politics here. They are even MORE unfriendly to foreigners here, you just get the feeling you're unwelcome in their country.

So yes, both countries are racist, just in different ways. Swiss are definitely more xenophobic though.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:14 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,956,021 times
Quote:
Troll detected. I'm such an idiot for actually arguing with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World