Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How larger should the US be?
No larger than it is today, 50 states and territories 52 59.09%
US and Canada 7 7.95%
US and Mexico 3 3.41%
US, Canada and Mexico 2 2.27%
The whole North America (including Central America and the Caribbean) 4 4.55%
North America and South America 2 2.27%
US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand 1 1.14%
The developed world (North America, Europe, Japan, Australia) 2 2.27%
The western world (The Americas, Europe, Australia, New Zealand) 1 1.14%
The whole world (North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, Antarctica) 14 15.91%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 02:52 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,840,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
This also makes it obvious that Mexico's claim to the US southwest is ridiculous.... Those territories were part of SPAIN not Mexico, if that is the case then Quebec should claim the entire American great lakes and American South minus Florida.
Empire of Mexico 1922:

The Central American part later became the Federal Republic of Central America, which fell apart in 1841. The Mexical Cession was in 1848 and the Gadsden purchase in 1853, so no, Mexico has no claim. But the area was a part of Mexico once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 03:00 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,913,122 times
[quote=Ariete;39561451]Empire of Mexico 1922:

? 1822

Old 05-12-2015, 04:04 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,413,461 times
Quote:

This is a map of which European country owned what in North America.

Source: The Prestigious Department of History of the Humboldt University.

Unlike Canada, the US was relentless at only allowing English to be used on its new territories, there were laws that prohibited French and Spanish from being spoken.

This also makes it obvious that Mexico's claim to the US southwest is ridiculous.... Those territories were part of SPAIN not Mexico, if that is the case then Quebec should claim the entire American great lakes and American South minus Florida.
I think your map shows Spain's area as more extensive than it was. New France extended farther onto the great Plains than what that's showing and Britain extended somewhat further inland.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:29 PM

10,139 posts, read 15,024,668 times
Man, the US already is the third largest country in the world (bigger than 99% of countries) and the OP wants for the US to be even bigger?

Say no to greed! The US is not even overpopulated for Pete's sakes!

Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,906,261 times
Quote:

This is a map of which European country owned what in North America.

Source: The Prestigious Department of History of the Humboldt University.

Unlike Canada, the US was relentless at only allowing English to be used on its new territories, there were laws that prohibited French and Spanish from being spoken.

Complication in red - More people speak Urdu in the Greater Toronto Area than French nowadays....

Old 05-12-2015, 08:22 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,949,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I'd love to see the US to annex Canada at the very least. Other Anglo countries like the UK, Australia and NZ would be a bonus...How I long in every fiber of my being to become American...

I hope you are joking about that last bit. The US isn't really long for this world. Right now the Gov of Texas is calling his National Guard to monitor the US Army due to fear of a Fed tyrannical takeover of Texas. Hawaii wants out and it is all congealing. Americans hate each other such that the Fed Govt has become dysfunctional. The younger generation of Americans love Ayn Rand and believe in secession of states. Only a matter of time before the US breaks apart.

I wouldn't mind living in a small regional northeast nation that was like Canada. The end of the US would at least stop us from paying for and being the policeman of the world.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I hope you are joking about that last bit. The US isn't really long for this world. Right now the Gov of Texas is calling his National Guard to monitor the US Army due to fear of a Fed tyrannical takeover of Texas. Hawaii wants out and it is all congealing. Americans hate each other such that the Fed Govt has become dysfunctional. The younger generation of Americans love Ayn Rand and believe in secession of states. Only a matter of time before the US breaks apart.

I wouldn't mind living in a small regional northeast nation that was like Canada. The end of the US would at least stop us from paying for and being the policeman of the world.
Agree with everything with one correction; it's not the Texas National Guard but the territorial defense. Texas (and California too) have a military force separate from the National Guard. But yes, the governor there is convinced that the federal government is planning an invasion of Texas. As comical as this sounds, it goes to show how divergent the US has become.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:58 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,421,687 times
Quote:

Mexico's claim to the Southwest? What claim? Much of the Southwest was part of Mexico for a period, but I don't think Mexico makes claims to any part of it today.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Mexico's claim to the Southwest? What claim? Much of the Southwest was part of Mexico for a period, but I don't think Mexico makes claims to any part of it today.
It doesn't. Certain segments of the Mexican-American population do and they distort the history in order to do so.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,906,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Agree with everything with one correction; it's not the Texas National Guard but the territorial defense. Texas (and California too) have a military force separate from the National Guard. But yes, the governor there is convinced that the federal government is planning an invasion of Texas. As comical as this sounds, it goes to show how divergent the US has become.
I'm speechless about what you and Tom77falcons have had to say... I didn't realize things were so shaky down there. I personally prefer a strong and unified United States!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World