Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:51 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A dozen or more respected international watchdog organizations have observed Russian elections, and while defects are found in every country, none of them came away with the opinion that you seemed to have formed before you even considered any facts.

Don't you think there have ever been "widespread protests" in the USA, among disgruntled people who wished an election had gone a different way? Which you hold as evidence of rigged elections. There seems to be a camp of people who automatically shout that elections are unfair, whenever the majority votes for a candidate that the Amerians didn't tell them to vote for. To use your words, incredibly naive.

Where did I say the nation was "unanimous behind Putin"? If you want to dispute what I said, dispute what I said.
Every respected international watchdog has observed big defects after every single election. Just google and you will find a lot of data.

I never said widespread protests are a sign of rigged elections, but in democratic nations you can protest legally, in Russia you can't. In Russia illegal protests are the only method to do so, as you can't protest in the voting booth.

I didn't say you said that the nation is unanimous behind Putin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 11:17 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

but in democratic nations you can protest legally
Oh yeah? I have personally bailed friends out of jail in the United States of America, for standing quietly and peacefully on public sidewalks with (or without) protest signs. My stepdaughter, a working journalist, was arrested on a street corner, along with protesters who were quietly and peaceably assembled, and rounded up indiscriminately and hauled off to jail. The police knew she was a reporter, and confiscated her camera.,

Last edited by jtur88; 10-28-2015 at 11:26 AM..

Old 10-28-2015, 11:23 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Oh yeah? I have personally bailed friends out of jail in the United States of America, for standing quietly and peacefully on public sidewalks with protest signs. My stepdaughter, a working journalist, was arrested on a street corner, along with protesters who were quietly and peaceably assembled, and rounded up indiscriminately and hauled off to jail. The police knew she was a reporter, and confiscated her camera.,
Well, then you US guys should do something about it.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Well, then you US guys should do something about it.
We can't. We do not live in a democracy. Violent protest is the only available means. Just like the Russia you described..

So back to the topic. Why don't we "US guys" feel comfortable in Russia?

Last edited by jtur88; 10-28-2015 at 12:22 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 05:50 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Every respected international watchdog has observed big defects after every single election. Just google and you will find a lot of data.

I never said widespread protests are a sign of rigged elections, but in democratic nations you can protest legally, in Russia you can't. In Russia illegal protests are the only method to do so, as you can't protest in the voting booth.

I didn't say you said that the nation is unanimous behind Putin.
Oh but you can, you CAN protest legally in Russia, or what do you think all these protests are - illegal?
No Ariete, they are conducted in accordance with official government's permission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMNkQfwtWc4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVX9Wa2fsnc

You can see the same pictures of the areas cordoned off by police, showing you direction in which you can "proceed with your march" in the US.
Truth to be told, the US is a police state - increasingly so, run by those on top with money, while still using slogans of "freedom and democracy." It was not a case a decade ago, yet after the fall of the Soviet Union it seems to be a case.
And that's what Putin loves to point at - those spontaneous protests in the US, quickly dispersed by police.
He loves to repeat that "that's how it's done in the West, so everything should be done only according the the law, protests including."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World