Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 01:20 PM

570 posts, read 605,994 times

Advertisements

In my trip to New York I went San.Patrick s Cathedral and after mass I was surprised the enthusiasm with wich everyone sang the anthem .AMERICA AMERICA.-
Glad to see so much satisfaction.
It seemed to me they thought they lived in Paradise without comparison with other countries.-

Old 11-10-2015, 03:27 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,663,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
In my trip to New York I went San.Patrick s Cathedral and after mass I was surprised the enthusiasm with wich everyone sang the anthem .AMERICA AMERICA.-
Glad to see so much satisfaction.
It seemed to me they thought they lived in Paradise without comparison with other countries.-
If the patriotic zeal of New Yorkers was too much for you, it's a good thing you didn't go to Texas. You probably would have had a heart attack.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:40 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,013,845 times
I don't think you can just generalize.

Living in NY is very different from living in Nevada.
Living in Spain is very different from living in Poland.

Most people her on CD have not LIVED in all european countries to be able to really compare.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:49 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,892,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't think you can just generalize.

Living in NY is very different from living in Nevada.
Living in Spain is very different from living in Poland.

Most people her on CD have not LIVED in all european countries to be able to really compare.
With the further difference that Spain and Poland are two different countries whereas NY and Nevada are two different states.
Europe is MUCH more different than most people here think.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:59 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,013,845 times
Then there is the question, what do you mean with BETTER?

Better weather?
Better health system?
Better politics?
Better people?
Better culture?
Better chances of a comfortable living without working much?
Better chances of a higher salary?

What exactly does BETTER include?

I know that you can live better in Germany as compared to the US or Poland or most other countries when you are jobless or disabled. You will still have enough food and a place to live and get your medical needs taken care of.

If you are a hard worker or a genious, you will maybe have a better life in the US. Ideas and inventions are more supported there and chances of earning $$$$$$$$$ are much higher. Lots of crazy seeming people got rich there with their ideas while they would most likely have been laughed at in most European countries.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:59 PM

2,416 posts, read 1,538,987 times
American born having lived in Europe for years. In Europe I worked for a US entity, not having to deal much with local regulations. I've traveled all over the world. Currently living in the US.

Both places have lots of pros & a few cons. When compared against each other, those factors are highly individual. If you value mass transportation then Europe is your place. If you want low level of corruption in dealing with various entities, the US comes out ahead in my experience.

I don't see any right or wrong answer here. I do think some European countries are doomed to experience cultural suicide by opening up their borders to outsiders who appear unwilling to assimilate.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:22 PM

102,242 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
If you are a hard worker or a genious, you will maybe have a better life in the US. Ideas and inventions are more supported there and chances of earning $$$$$$$$$ are much higher. Lots of crazy seeming people got rich there with their ideas while they would most likely have been laughed at in most European countries.
This is a good point. It reminds me that in Germany, as in Russia (I don't know about other Euro countries in this regard), generally one has to have an advanced degree relevant to what one is doing in order to be able to do what one wants to do. For example, in order to get one's art shown in a gallery, one needs to have a university degree in art. In Russia, one has to be a member of the Artists' Union as well. In order to design jewelry and convince a shop or gallery owner to sell it, one needs to have the relevant degree just for the shop/gallery owner to speak to you and consider you and your work. Inventors have to have an engineering degree. In the US, anyone with talent can do anything they want, and if they're good enough, someone will take them seriously and will show their work, publish their book, produce their invention. Things are more formal in some European countries, and one has to prove one's qualifications.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:42 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,352,746 times
Wait, isn't Germany the country that constantly gets **** from the OECD, because they don't have enough people that completed studies at university-level? And isn't America the country where even a janitor has a BA/AA in General Studies?

Seriously, do people on here really think that you need to have a Masters degree for hanging some pictures on a wall, but there is totes no need to have studied in order to work as an astrophysicist at NASA?

Old 11-10-2015, 10:37 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,622,532 times
Here is more "food for a thought.."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/her...-us-2015-11-04

Old 11-10-2015, 11:10 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,570,473 times
Do Russian brides want to move to countries in Europe as they want to move to USA? If no, then USA wins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World