Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 03:25 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,192,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
I don't think there is a single correct answer to the OPs question. It depends on what your goals, ambitions and priorities are. If you want to become the next Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg, to grab as big a piece of the pie as you can, then the USA is for you. If you are deeply religious (like I used to be) and want to find like-minded people, then the USA is also for you. If you want to... simply live, enjoy family, friends, nature etc, then some places in Europe are definitely for you. I used to admire the US deeply, but now I would take the Germanic Europe over it hands down.

Family, friends, nature... ? Germanic Europe is a sort of hippie-like heaven ? Oh cool !

I hope my little intervention make as much sense as this whole thread.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:51 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,576,675 times
There are another things that make Europe as whole way better since 20 years or so, just the lower baptize rates and the lower religious marriage rates. So, it's really good how most European countries become so secular.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:15 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Plus, they're used to a strong welfare state. Though the opp'ty to brag about marrying an Amerikanski biznessman has some allure.
Who, Russians? "Strong welfare state?" Of course not.
That "strong welfare state" is long gone after Americans made sure in the nineties that they've sold neo-liberal ( or is it "libertarian"?) ideas to Russia as the bag of goodies, as the ultimately "successful model." It might be successful for America for some time, because America accumulated enough of money to pour funds into the gaps between the rich and poor - be that through generous donations via churches or governmental funds, but in Russia that didn't have all that capital, capitalism was (and still is) rather vicious, with no "welfare state" to speak of. That's why you can see older people begging on the streets and that's why children are taken away from poor families. ( Something unheard of back in Soviet times of course.) And those desperate villages with desperate inhabitants that can't make ends meet? They are simply left to "die out" ( yet another unheard of thing during "welfare state of Soviet times.")
So speaking about "mail brides" - by now Russians are aware what America is all about and that you need to be married into certain class and certain income level, because without it, your life there is anything but certain. ( That's why you'll hear more about "scheme artists" targeting Americans for money rather than real desire to move to the US.)
So no, I think that overall Europe is more desirable destination in this respect, although I don't know how much demand and for what specific countries there is.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:40 PM

1,248 posts, read 824,229 times
Erasure, can't rep you again, but you are absolutely right. Back in the 90es the Russians (including Russian girls) used to believe America was some kind of paradise where everyone can make a ton of money while doing almost nothing. The ideal from the Hollywood movies. Now they know this is not so, although there is still some fascination with the "cool" America left.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Erasure, can't rep you again, but you are absolutely right. Back in the 90es the Russians (including Russian girls) used to believe America was some kind of paradise where everyone can make a ton of money while doing almost nothing. The ideal from the Hollywood movies. Now they know this is not so, although there is still some fascination with the "cool" America left.
Well thank you, but I meant to ask you about your other post - "I don't think there is a single correct answer to the OPs question. It depends on what your goals, ambitions and priorities are. If you want to become the next Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg, to grab as big a piece of the pie as you can, then the USA is for you. If you are deeply religious (like I used to be) and want to find like-minded people, then the USA is also for you. If you want to... simply live, enjoy family, friends, nature etc, then some places in Europe are definitely for you. I used to admire the US deeply, but now I would take the Germanic Europe over it hands down."

So what happened down the road? What made you change your mind?

P.S. As far as "Russians believing in the US as some kind of paradise in the nineties ( it actually started at the end of the 80ies) - that is a yes. This sentiment is long-gone by now of course, and the movie from the nineties "Brother" ( with a cult status in Russia) probably identifies this sharp turn in the attitude.
Now interestingly enough, today Russians do not acknowledge the existence of the "left" in America.
They consider the US as a "one - party system" basically, and refer to Washington as "Obkom."
( That's an acronym from Soviet times - "Ob" - abbreviation from "oblastnoy" ( regional) "kom" - "Committee."
( As in "regional committee of the Communist party" - they use this acronym just to convey the feeling of what they are referring to, when they speak about Washington. That it's basically a one-party system, the same way it was in the Soviet Union.)

Last edited by erasure; 11-11-2015 at 11:10 PM..

Old 11-11-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
I am an immigrant to US.

Years back it was a tough choice for me, today it's much easier; US. I'm glad I made the right choice.

The majority of immigrants to Europe are openly hostile to the countries they or their parents chose to migrate to.
The US migrant community is more diverse.
I think that if you are an immigrant and a male, you are basically better off in the US than in Europe.
May be for women it's different (being married into the local families,) but for men - no, they will be accepted much easier in the US than in Europe.
And the more time is progressing the more it's a case.
Europe is really for Europeans - that's the way I see it, even if they are quite tolerant.
Because "tolerant" and "welcoming" is not one and the same thing.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:03 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Here is your bingo card:

This is hilarious. Well done! When you live here, you have to listen to this kind of crap all the time.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:10 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
If the patriotic zeal of New Yorkers was too much for you, it's a good thing you didn't go to Texas. You probably would have had a heart attack.

Their patriotism isn't for the US, it is for their state. Just take a look at how often you see their state flag flying from houses.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Their patriotism isn't for the US, it is for their state. Just take a look at how often you see their state flag flying from houses.
That's because we have an awesome state flag.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:43 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I've known plenty of Texans. I think it's for both. FYI, I was going to say "Alabama" instead of Texas, but I thought Texas would translate better for a European audience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World