Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 09:26 AM

565 posts, read 672,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post
-Verdun Montreal : high crime rate, low income area
Wrong on both counts! Verdun is a gentrifying, family-friendly area, full of ex-Plateau Mont-Royal residents who moved away when they had kids, and French immigrants.

This is Wellington street, the neighbourhood's "main street" : Corner Wellington st and Galt st

And these are typical residential streets :

Last edited by begratto; 11-25-2015 at 09:39 AM..

Old 11-25-2015, 09:29 AM

565 posts, read 672,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Verdun in Montreal is hardly a ghetto. Probably the closest thing in that city that you could refer to as a ghetto is Montréal-Nord.

Even there, Montréal-Nord has a bad reputation with people who have never been there, but this is pretty much as bad as it gets. Not exactly ghetto-like.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:40 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Even there, Montréal-Nord has a bad reputation with people who have never been there, but this is pretty much as bad as it gets. Not exactly ghetto-like.
Agreed.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:05 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
It depends on what you like, like or dislike for places if often very subjective.

There are ghettos in Canada contrary to what you claim.

-Regent Park in Toronto is mostly populated by low income people, it's an impoverished area of Toronto known for its crime and gang activity.

-Malton Mississauga: Another area known for its high unemployment and large impoverished multicultural population.

-Downtown Eastside Vancouver : Area known for its large poverty, drug and violence.

And many more.....

Racism does exist in Canada, and in fact it can be quite brutal especially towards the native indigenous population.
Canada's racism problem? It's even worse than America's.
Here is a report about the brutal institutionalized racism towards the indigenous Canadians. They are in worse condition than Africa-Americans!

https://books.google.be/books?id=&dq...i-D4sQ6AEIJTAB
An interesting insight into Canada's racism and quiet discrimination..... NO CANADIAN EXPERIENCE, NO QUALIFIED FOR THE JOB!

Canadians personally have never come across as polite to me.... if anything I find them to be overly nationalistic and constantly comparing themselves to Americans and in the process degrading Americans and putting them down! In fact I've met a very large number of Canadians and they all had this strange sense of superiority, it's almost as if they were expecting me to be honored that I had met a person from Canada and then being puzzled I wasn't blown apart by the fact they were Canadians!

Canada has some of the coldest most brutal winters anywhere in the world. It can be so devastatingly cold that cities like Montreal have underground cities built in so people do not have to go on the street!

Canada participated in the war effort against Nazi Germany but so did many other countries from around Europe and the world!

Europe is large and differs from country to country!
It's not violent.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:13 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's not violent.
True too. DTES in Vancouver is grotty but it's also kind of a tourist attraction. People walk through there with their kids to show it to them - during the daytime of course.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:10 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Well, neither are European "ghettos" dangerous. Sure there are poverty and social exclusion, but to say that they are dangerous is more than a stretch. And most of Europe doesn't have the same gang culture as North America has. Not maybe because Europeans are more peaceful, but that we have a very competitive rival to street gangs - football hooliganism. Most of European OC is in hand of hard-core criminals, biker gangs and mafia-style organisations.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:48 AM

Location: The worlds most liveable city in the worlds most livable nation! "The most beautiful place on Earth"
52 posts, read 47,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, neither are European "ghettos" dangerous. Sure there are poverty and social exclusion, but to say that they are dangerous is more than a stretch. And most of Europe doesn't have the same gang culture as North America has. Not maybe because Europeans are more peaceful, but that we have a very competitive rival to street gangs - football hooliganism. Most of European OC is in hand of hard-core criminals, biker gangs and mafia-style organisations.
I have seen some very bad places in western Europe that don't exist in Canada. I have been to Belgium and Sweden and was shocked at what I saw. Sweden is also the world rape capital and I didn't feel safe there. I also don't think Europeans are peaceful. They started humanity's biggest conflicts and enslaved and exterminated continents of people. Now they are suddenly peacelovers as long as there American troops stationed in their provinces. The Europeans are just taking a breather FTM, IMO. I don't know about Finland but I mean the western European countries.

Canada is the most peaceful country in the world for our size and population.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:49 AM

Location: The worlds most liveable city in the worlds most livable nation! "The most beautiful place on Earth"
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Well from an economic standpoint, Italy is not doing so well. Germany and the UK are doing better. One thing i guarantee, it is very hard at the moment to find a job in Europe, unless you have some really valuable skill, still it is not easy. Honestly, i think you should be more open minded and try other countries while you are in Europe... don't be so quick to judge.
Where else do you think I should go? Spain?

Old 11-25-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
It depends on what you like, like or dislike for places if often very subjective.

There are ghettos in Canada contrary to what you claim.

-Regent Park in Toronto is mostly populated by low income people, it's an impoverished area of Toronto known for its crime and gang activity.

-Malton Mississauga: Another area known for its high unemployment and large impoverished multicultural population.

-Downtown Eastside Vancouver : Area known for its large poverty, drug and violence.

And many more.....

Racism does exist in Canada, and in fact it can be quite brutal especially towards the native indigenous population.
Canada's racism problem? It's even worse than America's.
Here is a report about the brutal institutionalized racism towards the indigenous Canadians. They are in worse condition than Africa-Americans!

https://books.google.be/books?id=&dq...i-D4sQ6AEIJTAB
An interesting insight into Canada's racism and quiet discrimination..... NO CANADIAN EXPERIENCE, NO QUALIFIED FOR THE JOB!

Canadians personally have never come across as polite to me.... if anything I find them to be overly nationalistic and constantly comparing themselves to Americans and in the process degrading Americans and putting them down! In fact I've met a very large number of Canadians and they all had this strange sense of superiority, it's almost as if they were expecting me to be honored that I had met a person from Canada and then being puzzled I wasn't blown apart by the fact they were Canadians!

Canada has some of the coldest most brutal winters anywhere in the world. It can be so devastatingly cold that cities like Montreal have underground cities built in so people do not have to go on the street!

Canada participated in the war effort against Nazi Germany but so did many other countries from around Europe and the world!

Europe is large and differs from country to country!
But low income North Americans live like most people in Sweden and Belgium. Low income in Canada means something different than in western Europe. Also in Vancouver we actually have a balmy almost Mediterranean climate. We just don't have the ghetto racism culture that is so prominent at least in those two western European nations. We have immigrants and they are successful and integrated instead of living in slums because we have discovered the secret to being a open minded and tolerant culture. I don't really want to talk about this though, I am interested moreso in what countries to visit and how to avoid the dangerous areas.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:10 PM

14,317 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada number one View Post
Also in Vancouver we actually have a balmy almost Mediterranean climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World