Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:06 AM

844 posts, read 1,064,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post

Seriously, I think that the United States has the best overall diversity of food, with quality being very high depending on where you go to eat it.
I second your opinion. The USA is one of largest, most varied countries on earth, with the economy and a country of immigrants, it only makes sense to have top quality food, from all over and within.

Last edited by Aztecgoddess; 02-12-2016 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:40 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
Tall Traveler.-
Logically this matter of good or bad food in USA refers to the average american man.

You are from of americans that have of international culture in tourism food etc.

The trouble eating right or wrong is not money but custion of 3 things.

1)Educate the exquisite taste reiterating no junk food.
2)Have fondness for gastronomy
3)Living a culture that promotes eating all right

1)For example if you live place where is usually food precooked or with very much spice you eat or with many various spices that masks all the delicate tastes like end not can enjoy good gastronomy.
2)There are americans who are not interested in the food too .It is the case of american man that filling fuel a gas station and while eating any food there at that gas station this man does eat like car refueling

In Spain everyone is interested in the food and there are hundreds of associations in Northern of Spain including his uniform and decorations of the friends Paella , friends of the Fabada etc etce
3) In Spain,France Italy the most modest people gather like a party just to eat well in a restaurant or in the field.
In my town in Northern of Spain almost every month there is a day that people go to eat recalling a historic date and eating a menu that is of the quel special day with office companions or of friends.

In a region of Spain Basque country there are thousands of associations men(now also of women)where they meet in a place with a huge kitchen after work every day and all make delicacies of gastronomy they eat very cheerful commenting these gastronomic works of a every amateur chef.-

You can say me if this things are possible today in USA ?,-

Note,.T Traveller If you want see a city very beautiful and rich of the overturned on eating well Paradise of gastronomy go in Northern Spain go San sebastian,-
Yes, 100%.

I think a lot of Europeans think that America "doesn't have history" or "doesn't have culture," so we don't do things like this. It is totally bogus.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:35 PM

570 posts, read 605,064 times
415 s 2K.
No way this do not I do not think this things what do you say .I just think that only that there is a particularity that of americans average has the little interest for gastronomy in the most people will in part it is like also in the british people .The enthusiasm of the food is typical in the mediterranean culture because the gastronomy is paramount for they and in anglo Saxon-culture in my experience not too
And the gastronomy only is things of minorities americans although are very well prepared in gastronomy this people.But are minorities.
I ask you if possible that you think in USA cities like to San Sebastian in Spain of the which I reported in my previous post-.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:48 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,283 times
Taste of foods is subjective.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:31 PM

570 posts, read 605,064 times
Britt 89.-

Good quality in food is good thing but refine and exquisite taste is necessary to be added for a good gastronomy.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:03 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
It's because we eat more, so our opinions are larger.

Seriously, I think that the United States has the best overall diversity of food, with quality being very high depending on where you go to eat it.

^^^ This AND quality food is expensive.

Less than 1% of imported food is inspected, so there is lot of stuff other countries have banned long time ago. Some countries produce junk exclusively for export to the US - they don't sell it to their own.
Lots of people in the US cannot afford quality food, and lots of people are not informed/don't want to be informed/ or don't care about what they eat, where the food come from, what are the ingredients, what food considered to be healthy, how to cook healthy even from basic ingredients. Many don't cook. Period. However all want to have a state-of-the-art kitchen
There is still general wish to get lots of food for the money. Quantity is still more important than quality.
Portions are huge, and lots of Americans travelling overseas are complaining about the taste and size of food served in Europe. (see some threads on our Travel Forum)
Not to generalize or stereotype, but many people don't know how real (unprocessed) food taste like.
Enormous marketing that push items like sugary cereals, salted snacks and fast food put children's long-term health at risk by promoting unhealthy eating habits. And old habits die hard.
The latest changes are minuscule - food companies have been increasing their advertising to children for chips and other junk foods, even as marketing of healthy snacks such as yogurt has not kept pace.
Fast food is among the most heavily advertised sectors of the United States, and we all know the quality of their food, although the same chains modified their food to the higher European standards.

There are places that sell/serve good, healthy, quality food in the US. But many people have no access to it, or means to buy it.
Diversity is great - you can buy food, try almost every ethnic food from around the world. But that is mostly available in big (bigger) cities, where many ethnic groups are present. Small towns don't have those choices.
The quality of the ingredients is also not always good. The preparation not always sanitary...

Fine restaurants exist - again in bigger cities, but the food is not affordable to many.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:09 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Does gastronomy have something to do with gas and astronomy?

Old 02-12-2016, 02:23 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britttt89 View Post
I would say they do have some of the highest quality food in the world. Stores like trader joes and whole foods offer WAY better food (especially produce) than what you can get hear in Canada. The worst time I ever ate a whole foods orange I was absolutely blown away by the quality and taste of it.

^^^ I wonder where the oranges came from, as they don't grow in Canada...
And I disagree about the "highest quality of food"...
Canada is KNOWN for way better quality of food. Maybe the variety is not so great, and prices are not so low, but generally they have very high standards on the quality and safety. Many of the junk products in the U.S are not allowed to be sold in Canada.

You can read some comments about Canadian food here:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...3124007AAsMkV0

BTW: there are some Whole Food Stores in Canada...

Old 02-12-2016, 02:39 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Interesting traditions in your area, OP. The thing about food in the US is that there is tremendous variety. Not counting the fast-food places (I don't know anyone who eats in any of those), there are restaurants offering the cuisine of many parts of the world. I'm not sure there's that much variety in European cities and towns, especially quality restaurants serving whatever: Chinese (various regional traditions), Thai, Mexican, French, Italian, Russian/E European, now there's Mongolian, Ethiopian, Indian, Himalayan, Afghan, etc.

It's easy to get fast food restaurants, and then say that you have variety: fast-food Chinese, Mexican, etc. But to have high quality restaurants that are affordable is more of a challenge.

There's a culture of healthy eating in the US; there's a significant percentage of the population that don't eat packaged food, buy only organic (clean, no pesticides, etc.) foods, and make everything fresh at home. There are large grocery chains nation-wide and regionally that specialize in this type of food, and even the more common grocery stores now have "organic" sections.

On the other hand, there are people who are not so nutritionally conscious, and people who can't afford the organic food. So one can't generalize about American eating habits.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:42 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britttt89 View Post
I would say they do have some of the highest quality food in the world. Stores like trader joes and whole foods offer WAY better food (especially produce) than what you can get hear in Canada. The worst time I ever ate a whole foods orange I was absolutely blown away by the quality and taste of it.
The food industry in the U.S. is well known for using additives, that are banned in most other countries. For example U.S. bread manufacturers use a chemical additive to make the bread softer. It's the same additive that is used in the production of yoga mats or sneaker soles. Delicious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World