Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your favourite genre of music
Pop 3 5.56%
Rock 11 20.37%
Reggae 0 0%
Metal 5 9.26%
Hip Hop 4 7.41%
House/Dance 2 3.70%
R&B 3 5.56%
Jazz 2 3.70%
Classical 7 12.96%
Other 17 31.48%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:42 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times

Advertisements

Progressive house. Then progressive rock / post-rock.

Other genres I listen to are ambient, classical, psychedelic trance and movie soundtracks. Trance works in small amounts, but as 90% of it is crap, I have a low tolerance of it. Early 2000's trance is good. Same with metal. Some is ok, most of it is crap. I used to listen to 70's rock and neofolk, but quite lost it now.

Pretty much anything from martial industrial to rap via dark ambient goes, if it's good.

Genres I hate are: hip hop, R 'n B, country, dubstep and black metal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 09:41 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
This is a way to test the poll system for once and for good. It's a topic we haven't debated here on the World forum either. Would be interesting to see which kind of music is more popular from users coming from certains countries even though i don't think City Data is a large enough sample nor the right one
http://www.city-data.com/forum/music/

Old 03-23-2016, 10:29 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
New rock- Muse, Awolnation, etc.

This is my addiction....
I can't sit still when I listen to songs like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJsAOwWqXf4

Old 03-23-2016, 10:34 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
To answer seriously, I mostly enjoy guitar-based music, although to be honest I have got pretty specific tastes, and I have an obsession for certain genres / periods, mostly 80's hardcore / punk, and the DIY culture in general, from 90s emo to noise-rock bands of the same period, and I have digged pretty far into some regional scenes or certain periods.

For older rock music I really like 70s german krautrock, and in general the early post-punk scene. I am not really into heavy metal and subgenres, even though some of these bands were great. I also like some pop/psychedelia stuff of the mid late 60s and I enjoy some 50s stuff.

I have listened to a lot of rap music in the past, I think most rap / hip hop from the beginning to the 90s is great, and I like a lot of stuff from the early 2000s. These days I almost don't listen to rap music anymore, modern mainstream rap is atrocious.

I like some black/soul music, some reggae, some jazz, but I can't say I really understand these genres at all. Same goes for classical / baroque / orchestral music, some of it I enjoy but I generally prefer the more recent stuff over the classics. I cannot stand Opera, which is a pity for my girlfriend.

I like some singer / songwriter stuff. I like some experimental rock as well, I enjoy most new-wave.

Electronic music in general is some of the most difficult music for me to listen to, I can't stand most of basic techno stuff, although recently I have tried to listen to it with a different ear, I think it is completely different than to listen to regular songs and I can see why it would be relevant musically.

Most modern popular music is like white noise to me, I can't even pay attention to it.

Also, more interesting question, what do you use to listen to music to ? Who still uses CDs / cassettes / vinyl records ? Who listens to music in a different way than plugging the computer / phone to cheap speakers ?

I'm curious about that because I collect records / tapes / sometimes (rarely) CDs, and I have the material to play them, but when I speak to friends who are, say, 25, some of them have never even entered a record store or bought music and that is a pretty depressing thought for me.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:10 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Also, more interesting question, what do you use to listen to music to ? Who still uses CDs / cassettes / vinyl records ? Who listens to music in a different way than plugging the computer / phone to cheap speakers ?

I'm curious about that because I collect records / tapes / sometimes (rarely) CDs, and I have the material to play them, but when I speak to friends who are, say, 25, some of them have never even entered a record store or bought music and that is a pretty depressing thought for me.
Only computer and phone these days (mp3). I have a ton of CD's, but rarely listen to them. The tapes I had I got rid of when I moved at some point, but only in 2004 or something.

But yeah, I'm still the generation who bought their first music on tapes, used to tape songs from the radio and later browsed music stores. We also went to Tallinn for cheap pirate CD's (well, mostly booze, but CD's too).

Old 03-23-2016, 11:21 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
I'm not that into music, but I listen to 60s-80s rock, 70s-90s electronica (Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Aphex Twin), some hiphop from the 90s, movie soundtracks.

Generes I dislike: Tropical house (the Kygo crap), black metal / death metal.

I use Spotify.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:24 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Yeah, I use mostly mp3s as well, but when I have the funds I buy some records (if I can find them), they are also artifacts and memories. I also have friends who release records, so it is also a way to own something special. I love vinyl but I would never go to a record store buy a $35 reissued Pink Floyd LP (or the like), that makes absolutely no sense to me. New vinyl is overpriced to the extreme.

I can not really pay attention to music being streamed from the computer, I think physical formats and their various inconveniences (storage, weight, unpracticality) kinda force you to really pay more attention to it, but I have already enjoyed played in mp3 format on a (quality) mp3 player with nice earbuds.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:56 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,411,364 times
Orchestral/symphonic backgrounded pop and rock.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:10 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,051 times
By the way, house/dance is a close second to hip hop. In reality i listen to most genres, the ones i can't really stand are Neapolitan neomelodic music (unfortunately still popular in this swath of Italy), black metal, hardcore rock, death metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I'm not that into music, but I listen to 60s-80s rock, 70s-90s electronica (Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Aphex Twin), some hiphop from the 90s, movie soundtracks.

Generes I dislike: Tropical house (the Kygo crap), black metal / death metal.

I use Spotify.
When taken into small quantities Tropical House isn't shabby. It's a momentary success anyway in the same way had integrated elements of country and soul music into dance and house a couple years

I mostly use Spotify but also Youtube when listening to music. I have several CDs, most of them old ones that used to be my mother's and my father's but they must have been buried from several layers of dust. It's been years since i last used one of them.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:18 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post

Do you think the speakers of the crappy stereos most of us could muster to purchase back when CDs were a thing were any better to play music in than the stuff you can easily get nowadays? Because you make it seem like speakers' quality has decreassed, when it couldn't be further from the truth.
Same with headphones (Although hipsters purchase those expensive headphones that are really not very good, but then again, they also use Apple products so you can't expect them to choose wisely).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World