Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington D.C. vs New York City on worldwide recognition
Washington D.C. 9 17.65%
New York City 42 82.35%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 04:45 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,040,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And both Korea and Egypt are planning new capitals, so you can add those countries.

I would also add Nigeria, Netherlands, Germany (debatable, but Berlin certainty isn't the largest, wealthiest or most important metro, though it's probably the best known)
I forgot about Nigeria, Lagos is a lot more famous than Abuja.
What city in the Netherlands is more famous than Amsterdam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I know about half of these but maybe that's just me then.
You misunderstood me.
I said those countries have a city more famous than its capital not if people know the capital.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:58 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I forgot about Nigeria, Lagos is a lot more famous than Abuja.
What city in the Netherlands is more famous than Amsterdam
The Hague is the official seat of govt. in the Netherlands.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think it's pretty well known that Amsterdam and Berlin are the Dutch and German capitals respectively.
But Berlin isn't the largest or richest or most important city in Germany. And Amsterdam isn't the capital, at least not per this discussion.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post

Disagree with the bold. That is speaking from an Italian perspective, i fail to think of a Croatian city that's more well known than Zagreb, maybe that's because you vacationed in Split or Dubrovnik but they aren't as well known even though they are just over the Adriatic Sea and roughly 200 kms of distance air-wise from Northern Apulia.

As for Bolivia, La Paz is the capital, what other city is more well known than it? Same goes for Ecuador with Quito as the Galapagos are a group of islands, Guayaquil a little known industrial city and Cuenca a touristic but i would say still relatively little known place.

For Colombia it's harder, Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena are close. Same goes for China with Shanghai and Beijing but i still would give the latter a little margin for political and historical reasons. As for India, New Dehli is just a modern suburb of Dehli, i struggle calling it a different city
Sucre is the capital of Bolivia.

Quito/Guayaquil was the only 50/50 for me, I know Guayaquil isn't that famous worldwide but most people haven't heard of Quito either.

Never met anyone that went to Zagreb but i have met hundreds that went to Split.

Medellin is slighly more famous than Bogota outside politics thanks to Pablo Escobar (most famous Colombian ever)

Without Shanghai most of China would still be stuck in the 80's.

Mumbai is more famous than Delhi, Bollywood plays a big part in that.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
But Berlin isn't the largest or richest or most important city in Germany. And Amsterdam isn't the capital, at least not per this discussion.
Are you telling me that i don't know what the capital city of my country is?

Old 05-13-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Are you telling me that i don't know what the capital city of my country is?
I think you know exactly what I'm saying.

And, yeah, if you are arguing that Amsterdam holds the primary govt. functions of Netherlands, analogous to a Washington or London or Paris or Berlin, then yeah, you aren't being honest.

Who is the technical head of state in Canada? Queen Elizabeth. Who is the actual head of state in Canada? Prime Minister Trudeau.

Who is Canada's equivalent to Obama or Merkel? Trudeau or Queen Elizabeth? You're arguing Queen Elizabeth, I'm saying Trudeau.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:07 PM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
The Hague is the seat of the government but Amsterdam is still the capital.

And which city in Germany has a larger population than Berlin? It's probably not the richest, but it is the largest city not only in Germany, but in the whole German speaking world, which is basically just 3 countries, but still.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I think you know exactly what I'm saying.

And, yeah, if you are arguing that Amsterdam holds the primary govt. functions of Netherlands, analogous to a Washington or London or Paris or Berlin, then yeah, you aren't being honest.
Just because the parliament is located in Den Haag doesn't make it the capital city.
Why do you think they called Manhattan New Amsterdam and not New Den Haag?

Old 05-13-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The Hague is the seat of the government but Amsterdam is still the capital.

And which city in Germany has a larger population than Berlin? It's probably not the richest, but it is the largest city not only in Germany, but in the whole German speaking world.
Nope. The Ruhrgebiet, and Frankfurt are larger metros. The Ruhr is, by far, the largest German population center.

Berlin is the third largest German metro, slightly larger than Munich and Stuttgart. And Berlin has only the sixth largest German urban economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World