Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more vibrant between them?
NYC 65 48.51%
London 69 51.49%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:47 PM

317 posts, read 378,065 times

Advertisements

Pretty self-explanatory I think. Which is has more activities and stuff going around pretty much.

The reason I ask is because I have a cousin from South Jersey that recently visited London. He was telling me that he has a hard time understanding why people compare the two in terms of feel because London feels like a quiet town in comparison, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't just talking about parts outside the core either. Though he did acknowledge that he stayed in the more suburban parts which may have influenced his opinion a tad bit. It would be unusual for him to booster about NYC too considering he doesn't like the place and that kind of life much at all.

So just got me curious since I have never been to London personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 11:00 PM

122 posts, read 167,745 times
What would someone who only visited Long Island think of New York?

Old 07-02-2015, 12:42 AM

164 posts, read 160,091 times
Unlike your friend, I'm staying right in the core of London and this is my impression thus far:

Very similar in terms of vibrancy, but less 24 hours. There still many crowds after 2 am but fewer things are open.
Busier than NYC on weekends. Slightly less busy over weekdays.
At a guess - a bigger proportion of tourists to natives compared to NY though it's difficult to say.
Things feel more spacious with more pedestrian spaces so people are less crushed together into cramped crowds.
About half the city looks like it's under construction. New mid-rises and high rises going up literally everywhere. A lot of the streets being torn up and renovated.
Mediocre street food (I've yet to try the rated restaurants though).
Clean - clean, clean, clean, clean, clean, clean ... (Very big difference).
Smells about a thousand times better.
Pretty as heck - Much of the architecture is white stone and much more detailed than most of the buildings in NYC.
Stupidly expensive.
Many white British and Europeans. Fewer people of color compared to NYC.
Less congestion, more orderly with better public transport.
Grander - in the sweeping European historic styles mixed with modern buildings. Anyone who says that London feels like a village is an idiot, sorry.

Taken altogether, London is a very different creature to New York. It reminds me a bit of those visions of the future we had on TV as kids where everything is clean, modern and orderly but you also have that inimitable British feel in some places too.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:20 AM
SE9

219 posts, read 348,413 times
A perspective of walking in London...

Old 07-02-2015, 06:50 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
London has much lower density than NYC (less than half the density as NYC, on average) and so generally feels quieter. That said, there are some very vibrant parts of the city, especially around the West End.

But London is definitely less vibrant than NYC overall. In built form, it more resembles a gigantic, vastly more cosmopolitan Philly rather than a smaller version of NYC.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:58 AM

225 posts, read 216,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
A perspective of walking in London...

Try and top that.

Does anyone know the name of the music that starts at the 4 minute mark in the top video?

Old 07-02-2015, 07:28 AM

367 posts, read 409,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Maginot Line View Post
Does anyone know the name of the music that starts at the 4 minute mark in the top video?
It's from Stephen King's "The Stand" (the miniseries) if I'm not mistaken.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:19 AM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
London is pretty vibrant overall. But I don't feel there's anywhere in London that is quite as vibrant as Times Square and some other areas in Manhattan.

But at the end of the day, it hardly matters at all. It goes without saying they are both magnificent cities. London is the New York of Europe. New York is the London of North America.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:46 AM

367 posts, read 409,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
London is pretty vibrant overall. But I don't feel there's anywhere in London that is quite as vibrant as Times Square and some other areas in Manhattan.

But at the end of the day, it hardly matters at all. It goes without saying they are both magnificent cities. London is the New York of Europe. New York is the London of North America.
Central London's daytime population is 3.26 million (almost 4 million with tourists included).
Manhattan's daytime population is 3.1 million.

Both being vaguely similar in geographic size, the difference is in the distribution, as POC mentioned. London has more open spaces, squares, plazas, pedestrianized zones, for people to spread out, so it feels less crowded. But the overall vibrancy feels similar.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:45 AM

499 posts, read 793,767 times
Manhattan’s daytime population is approximately 3.94 million; the census defined daytime population omits almost one-fourth of the total, or nearly 800,000 people.
https://wagner.nyu.edu/files/rudince..._manhattan.pdf

Regardless, comparing the geographic island of Manhattan to an area defined as Central London is flawed since core New York does not equal Manhattan. Half the island is no more dense and often even less dense than many surrounding neighborhoods in the other boroughs. The bulk of that 4 million figure is spread throughout a handful of neighborhoods throughout the lower half of the island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World