Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
LA 41 43.62%
Sydney 53 56.38%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 03:49 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times

Advertisements

Both great cities, however Sydney with it's beautiful harbour, the largest natural harbour in the world, edges ahead.

Sadly LA also has some well documented problems, and Australia has a better health and welfare system, as well as lower rates of crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 01:27 PM

910 posts, read 367,209 times
Beaches - LA - while Sydney beaches are scenic, they are small. LA and OC beaches are huge with piers and far more fun. Weather - LA - sunny, blue sky, and dry most of the year. Sydney much more humid, and rains a lot more. People - LA - the people in LA are warm, outgoing and friendly. Sydney people a little more colder and reserved. Cuisine - LA - one of the great food capitals of the world. COL - LA - they both have high housing prices, but most consumer products cheaper in LA. Downtown - Tie - DTLA has cooler architecture, and big grand theatres, but Sydney CBD has its best shopping. Famous Attractions - LA- several world famous and endless. Sydney a bridge and opera house. Cultural Amenities - LA- from sports to museums has more of everything Shopping - LA in a landslide. If you can't find it in LA, it doesn't exist. Overall Vibe- LA - while Sydney is beautiful and clean, for the tourist LA has far more interesting things to do. If you are bored in LA, you are bored with life.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:55 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
Beaches - LA - while Sydney beaches are scenic, they are small. LA and OC beaches are huge with piers and far more fun. Weather - LA - sunny, blue sky, and dry most of the year. Sydney much more humid, and rains a lot more. People - LA - the people in LA are warm, outgoing and friendly. Sydney people a little more colder and reserved. Cuisine - LA - one of the great food capitals of the world. COL - LA - they both have high housing prices, but most consumer products cheaper in LA. Downtown - Tie - DTLA has cooler architecture, and big grand theatres, but Sydney CBD has its best shopping. Famous Attractions - LA- several world famous and endless. Sydney a bridge and opera house. Cultural Amenities - LA- from sports to museums has more of everything Shopping - LA in a landslide. If you can't find it in LA, it doesn't exist. Overall Vibe- LA - while Sydney is beautiful and clean, for the tourist LA has far more interesting things to do. If you are bored in LA, you are bored with life.
Sydney is my least favourite Australian city so in that regard it has a lot in common with LA for me...my least favourite US City.

I get that you aren't serious in your analysis and there is much to quibble with, but your Downtown section has me wondering if you have ever even been to either city.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Sydney is my least favourite Australian city so in that regard it has a lot in common with LA for me...my least favourite US City.

I get that you aren't serious in your analysis and there is much to quibble with, but your Downtown section has me wondering if you have ever even been to either city.
I live in LA, and visited Sydney once, so maybe I came across as a little bias. I stand by everything I wrote comparing the 2 cities. The Sydney beaches were scenic, beautiful, and clean, but I found them rather small and limited. LA has the 26 mile (42 kilometers) beach bike path, which is basically one continuous beach, with every single activity you could possibly enjoy. I thought Southern California beach culture was superior to Sydney beach culture. As for the Downtown, yes Sydney CBD is more lively than DTLA, because Sydney's upscale shopping is mostly in the CBD. The buildings in the Sydney CBD are mostly bland, with a few nice older buildings mixed in. DTLA has lower end shopping, because most of LA's great shopping is in several other places like Mid-Wilshire or Beverly Hills. DTLA once had the highest concentration of theatre's in the world. Many of these historic masterpieces of architecture have been restored to their former glory. I didn't see anything in Sydney CBD that rivaled them. Also DTLA has some modern day masterpieces like Disney Hall and Staples Center. So I gave DTLA and Sydney CBD a tie. What other issue do you feel I am not serious in my analysis, and that you have so much to quibble about?

Old 04-24-2021, 08:56 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Of the "world class cities", I feel as if LA and Sydney have a lot in common. Which is more appealing/desirable to you? No specific criteria but some things to think about before voting:
-Beaches
-Weather
-People
-Cuisine
-COL
-downtown
-famous attractions
-cultural amenities
-shopping
-overall vibe
Why compare LA with Sydney? LA has 3 times as much people with Sydney.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Why compare LA with Sydney? LA has 3 times as much people with Sydney.
Agree, LA is so much larger than Sydney. LA has more of everything. More and bigger museums, shopping, sports, stadiums, cultural amenities, famous attractions, etc. Far more famous people live in LA than Sydney, including many rich and famous Australians. Sydney is popular on this forum, but is not as well known in America as you would think. Most Americans are ignorant of other countries, they would not know what the name of that bridge is. Now some might recognize the opera house, but it isn't exactly the Statue of Liberty.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:54 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,544 times
Quote:
Agree, LA is so much larger than Sydney. LA has more of everything. More and bigger museums, shopping, sports, stadiums, cultural amenities, famous attractions, etc. Far more famous people live in LA than Sydney, including many rich and famous Australians. Sydney is popular on this forum, but is not as well known in America as you would think. Most Americans are ignorant of other countries, they would not know what the name of that bridge is. Now some might recognize the opera house, but it isn't exactly the Statue of Liberty.
I agree with that, plus people tend to categorise LA with Hollywood and the film industry. But no one ever categorise Sydney as a major hob for the film industry. LA is a unique city, just like Sydney.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:57 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Quote:
Any of us who have traveled extensively in the US, as I have are well aware that Sydney and Australia are not well known.

Right at the moment a good number of our rich and famous have returned, probably temporarily, because of the openness of the economy and particularly because of the movies being made at the moment.

I wonder on your trip, did you get to the Australian Museum in Sydney, the Powerhouse, the Art Gallery of NSW, the Museum of Sydney, the Museum of Contemporary Art, the National Maritime Museum, the Mint, the Jewish Museum?

Did you get to Randwick racecourse, the Sydney Cricket Ground, the Olympic precinct, to Chinatown, to the State Theatre, the Capital Theatre, the Lyric Theatre, to Centennial Park and Bicentennial Park?

There is a lot more to Sydney than the bridge, the Opera House and Bondi Beach.

Old 04-25-2021, 07:55 AM

Sydney is a beautiful city, and I enjoyed my time there. I could definitely live there. I did go to some of the places you mentioned, but not all of them. I found the quality of the museums good, but more on a Toronto level, than an LA level. Los Angeles has some incredible unique museums like Getty Center, Getty Villa, Huntington Library, and California Science Center, which has the Space Shuttle Endeavour. I have been a long time reader on this board, and have always thought LA was underrated, and maybe Sydney a little overrated. Some people even wrote that Sydney has more famous attractions than LA, I mean get real! Lets be honest the movies have made locations in LA world famous. Many Americans hate LA, and they vote accordingly on this board. I live near Laguna Beach, and just love it.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:24 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Sydney is a beautiful city, and I enjoyed my time there. I could definitely live there. I did go to some of the places you mentioned, but not all of them. I found the quality of the museums good, but more on a Toronto level, than an LA level. Los Angeles has some incredible unique museums like Getty Center, Getty Villa, Huntington Library, and California Science Center, which has the Space Shuttle Endeavour. I have been a long time reader on this board, and have always thought LA was underrated, and maybe Sydney a little overrated. Some people even wrote that Sydney has more famous attractions than LA, I mean get real! Lets be honest the movies have made locations in LA world famous. Many Americans hate LA, and they vote accordingly on this board. I live near Laguna Beach, and just love it.
So you don't live in LA. I think you made a good decision not to live there though. Laguna Beach is far nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World