Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 07:28 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
U.S.- needs reasonable gun control and fewer ignorant, knuckle-dragging voters (the fact that Trump is actually a viable candidate)

Germany- needs to be much more accommodating for women having children and working, and could probably be a friendlier country
The amount of ignorance in the he USA, is downright scary. I don't believe all these states, cultures and mindsets belong in the same country. It just doesn't work. Really bad mix of people and politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 10:05 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin loon View Post
Uk
My top ten
1. Abolish the monarchy
I'm sorry to tell this because you live in UK, you are the best to talk about... however, as I foreigner, I think the british monarchy is a major symbol of the british identity. More: Queen Elizabeth is often one of the first person (if not *the* person) which comes to the mind when someone talk about Britain.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:58 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I'm sorry to tell this because you live in UK, you are the best to talk about... however, as I foreigner, I think the british monarchy is a major symbol of the british identity. More: Queen Elizabeth is often one of the first person (if not *the* person) which comes to the mind when someone talk about Britain.
She also does not really affect the day-to-day governance of the country. While I am not a monarchist myself, I don't think eliminating the Queen's position is a priority issue.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:09 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
For the United States, I wish people here weren't so individualistic and thought a bit more collectively, for an example, "What would be best for my country?" Rather than, "What is the best for me?" I think if Americans thought this way things would be a lot different here. I think Americans, as a whole and mostly, are selfish. Sometimes what is best for the country is not the best for you.

So in other words, if there were two choices to any issue:
A) You pay more or give something up to live in a better/happier society, or
B) You get to have more money and your life doesn't change....

Most Americans vote B.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:08 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
For the United States, I wish people here weren't so individualistic and thought a bit more collectively, for an example, "What would be best for my country?" Rather than, "What is the best for me?" I think if Americans thought this way things would be a lot different here. I think Americans, as a whole and mostly, are selfish. Sometimes what is best for the country is not the best for you.

So in other words, if there were two choices to any issue:
A) You pay more or give something up to live in a better/happier society, or
B) You get to have more money and your life doesn't change....

Most Americans vote B.
We are a nation founded on the rights of the individual.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:58 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,660 times
I would like to see the move in Australia towards greater inequality reversed, from my experience this has increased sharply since the 90's when I was growing up and Australia has to some degree lost some of its cohesiveness and friendliness, there doesn't seem to have been any social benefit from this change even though we are ostensibly wealthier.

A couple changes I'd propose are:

1. Public funding of political parties - Corporate money has had an increasing subversive influence in Aus politics, the body politic is seen as needing to be corralled and managed rather than actually listening and acting on their concerns. Donations to political parties in my view should be banned as they corrupt the one vote, one value principle of democracy. Governments need to be enacting policies that are in the interests of the people they represent, this should go without saying but it's not happening.

2. Housing for all - Australia has possibly the largest housing bubble the world has ever seen and it is very difficult for the younger generation to buy their own property without going into considerable debt. Homelessness is on the rise and young people are staying in the family home longer. Public housing for those on low incomes has a ridiculous 10 year+ waiting list in Western Australia. Unfortunately it is hard to imagine housing reducing to affordable levels without also enduring a period of significant economic recession.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:51 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I would like to see the move in Australia towards greater inequality reversed, from my experience this has increased sharply since the 90's when I was growing up and Australia has to some degree lost some of its cohesiveness and friendliness, there doesn't seem to have been any social benefit from this change even though we are ostensibly wealthier.

A couple changes I'd propose are:

1. Public funding of political parties - Corporate money has had an increasing subversive influence in Aus politics, the body politic is seen as needing to be corralled and managed rather than actually listening and acting on their concerns. Donations to political parties in my view should be banned as they corrupt the one vote, one value principle of democracy. Governments need to be enacting policies that are in the interests of the people they represent, this should go without saying but it's not happening.

2. Housing for all - Australia has possibly the largest housing bubble the world has ever seen and it is very difficult for the younger generation to buy their own property without going into considerable debt. Homelessness is on the rise and young people are staying in the family home longer. Public housing for those on low incomes has a ridiculous 10 year+ waiting list in Western Australia. Unfortunately it is hard to imagine housing reducing to affordable levels without also enduring a period of significant economic recession.
Sounds just like the USA.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:03 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
1/3 of unionized workers in my country are public servants. We subsidize their way of life and in kind they reward us with a level of nepotism and cronyism that would make bastard feudalism look like a respectable political model.

I'm not a big fan of the union culture in this country as a whole.

Last edited by zortation; 09-04-2016 at 11:12 AM..

Old 09-09-2016, 01:00 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I would like to see the U.S. broken up into a minimum of 4 parts, it's way too big to manage!

Sheesh! California is roughly the size of Germany, and if Germany can stand alone, couldn't a combined Washington, Oregon and California stand alone even more so?

4 Presidential races would be far more interesting than just 1!!!

Old 09-09-2016, 01:28 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
AUS (in no particular order):

*Legalize gay marriage
*More theme parks and amusement parks in the capitals (most theme parks here are in the Gold Coast)
*VOTING SHOULD BE OPTIONAL, NOT COMPULSORY. A democratic country shouldn't fine those who do not wish to vote.
*Mathematics and sport should NOT be mandatory after the 8th grade.
*Control immigration when it comes to Islamic countries.
*Make jobs easier to get.
*Cheaper houses (buy and rent) - Sydney is becoming too expensive.
*Tertiary education should be much cheaper
*Improve the horrible, lazy TV ads we get nowadays. Back in the day they were of high quality with sweeping music and had interesting storylines. Now, all we get is a bunch of shills talking to the camera with ukulele music in the background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World