Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 09:32 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,307,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanresources View Post
US:
Tighten immigration rules and enforcement
Ban lifetime politicians
Create actual separation of church and state
Remove the United States from the role of world police
Improve infrastructure (actually fix things this time, like roads, bridges, train tracks, etc)
Provide single payer health care (not the ACA crap)
I agree with all this, except that the current procrastination in infrastructure investment may prove to be a blessing in disguise: instead of fixing up 1920s-1950s technology infrastructure, we may have the opportunity to invest billions in 21st century infrastructure, leaving much of the old stuff obsolete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 09:41 AM

55 posts, read 63,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I agree with all this, except that the current procrastination in infrastructure investment may prove to be a blessing in disguise: instead of fixing up 1920s-1950s technology infrastructure, we may have the opportunity to invest billions in 21st century infrastructure, leaving much of the old stuff obsolete.
I don't think the roads/bridges we have now can even last that long. Many are in very poor shape.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:54 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I actually disagree with everything posted except for the infrastructure part.

Shows that it is EXTREMELY hard to find a public consensus.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:43 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,954 times
Germany:

Aim for a budget defict of about 1-2% of GDP instead of budget surplusses. Use the money for:
- more investments into education, higher use of more technological advanced teaching material.
- more investments into faster internet connections in rural areas.
- more investments into the infrastructure.

Changes in tax legislation:
- abolish the silly "Ehegattensplitting" and replace it with a "Kindersplitting".
- lowering the contribution for social insurance for lower income groups. A higher amount of welfare spending should be done with tax receipts.
- don't waste money by constantly raising the retirement benefits. Use the money to give incentives for younger people to bear more children.

- a stricter control of the intelligence agency.
- an independent department of investigation for police violence.
- battle lobbyism.
- rethink the energy transition.

- battle stupidity (way to many stupid people, but that's probably not a specific German problem).
- enhance consumer protection. Misleading companies have to face more serious punishment.

There are surely many more things that need improvements.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:48 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Yeah, lobbyism is something we should tackle too.

edit: no I mean... Finland is perfect its awsome perfect flawless. Here's 800 newspaper links to prove that:

Old 07-19-2016, 12:09 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
In Canada:

-Cheaper housing especially in major cities across the board.
-Better infrastructure and transit in cities
-Reduce the cost of living for people north of 60 through government subsidies so that they have a reasonable cost of living.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:15 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,435 times
U.S.

-End Citizens United and Super Pac's domination of the political system
- Get rid of unpaid internships
-Reduce the cost of public college tuition
- Decriminalize marijuana

Old 07-19-2016, 02:11 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
In America, I'd really like to see:
*K-12 schooling being year round (4 11 week sessions with 1 week off for fall break and spring break, 2 weeks off for winter break, and 4 weeks off for summer break)
*An improvement in the infrastructure.
*More land being protecting by the government, specifically parts of the Driftless Area.
*Campaign finance reform and term limits for senators and representatives.
*Tying government subsidies and grants to businesses with decent job creation.
*A law requiring all workers to have at least two weeks of paid vacation. Productivity would be higher and workers would be happier if they had a little more time for themselves.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:04 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
For Canada, if I could be granted a wish, I'd double the population. This would be assuming that they'd have all the housing, jobs, cities, etc., to go along with the wish.

Canada has almost 36 million people. But that population's spread out, almost in a thin line going from east to west, across our border with the U.S.. There's a long distance between major cities. I'd double our population, add some cities, and give us better population density. I'd make it a bit deeper, geographically. I think it would actually make our regions feel more united. We'd also have some of the economic and cultural advantages that countries with larger populations enjoy.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:17 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
If France could get rid of :
1. Islamists
2. Marxists
it would fare far, far better (would only have the usual problems first world countries have, like corruption, environmental problems, brainwashing by the media, stupid showbiz, obsession with certain sports, etc.).
The mix of islamic terrorism and violent Leftist thugs is killing right now the fabric of French society. No one needs them , they are just a scourge like the Black Plague in the Middle Ages, and just like the Plague, when one thinks they are eradicated, they come back with a vengeance. I wouldn't be surprised, although they are opposed on almost everysubject, that they merge one day, so enormous and venomous being their hate of our common western values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World