Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country in the world is the most similar to United States?
Canada 52 77.61%
United Kingdom 3 4.48%
Germany 2 2.99%
Australia 8 11.94%
New Zealand 1 1.49%
South Africa 0 0%
The Bahamas 1 1.49%
Singapore 0 0%
China 0 0%
Ireland 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 04:10 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Similar geography? In what way?
Zimbabwe was also a former British colony.
We have nothing on Australia's killer snakes. Only India and Africa can compete with that.
Aren't there zoos all over the world?
Blacks in Australia are entirely different than they are in the US and you know it.
Similar hair color????
Australia has a prime minister, not a president and it is a commonwealth country, not a republic and is a parliamentary system, not a congress. These differences make Australia very much more like Canada.
The SeaWorld in AU is a different company that licenses the name.

A good portion of the rest of that is shared by many other countries as well.
1. their land mass is about the same with mountains, deserts, and grassy fields
2.doesn't change that we're both British colonies
3.Yes, we have lots of rattle snakes and the such
4.we both have an extremely high per-capita of zoos compared to other countries
5.Blacks in Australia were prosecuted against by the whites, segregated culture exists in both countries
6.yup
7.like the poster above stated, the influence is there
8.not many places have a seaworld at all, including canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 04:13 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well , I'm a Canadian and I'm telling you that Canadians on average are NOTHING like Yankees. Half of us speak English and that's about it for similarities.
Half? Umm ok.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:05 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Definitely Canada.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:30 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zektor View Post
This is the funny thing... the country that loves to use and abuse the label "wester" and "western world" the most is the States. However they are outliers and only borderline "western" in many ways.

1) big gap between rich and poor
2) monolingual country
3) Highly religious compared to the majority of "Western" countries.
Monolingual? Umm have you been to Miami, El Paso, Chinatown in San Francisco, or the bayous of Louisiana? English may be the de facto language but finding a foreign language is certainly not hard here. It's such a diverse place.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:58 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
not really, big out doors, costal cities, BBQ and red necks in the center, liberals on the coast. similar geography, previous British colony, mass execution of indigenous populations. lots of guns (at least before the 90s in Australia's case), history of racism. killer snakes, lots of zoos, political capital pre-designed city, whites and blacks, similar food, fat people, fast food, mines and oil, corrupt politicians, some climate change denialism (I know, that's not a word), similar hair color, same presidential system, democracy, fought in Vietnam and Iraq war, tons of troops, car based cities, west coast considered newer and more artsy while the east is where all the established cities are, cookie cutter suburbs, crime, clean good neighbor hoods, large film industry, lots of Chinese investments, similar weather to the mountain west, skiing, similar sized landmass, has a coral reef, young population, growing economy unlike Italy and other EU nations, same language (English), killer sharks, SeaWorld, boardwalks, mountain ranges, flat plains, Christian majority. we're pretty much the same country.
The west is not artsy.
Corrupt politicians? Which ones?
Hair colour? This is a **** take, right? Lol
The best one is "same presidential system" lmao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
No killer snakes in the US? Really?

There's nothing real about 'the Commonwealth' beyond a minor sports competition every few years. There is actually a fair amount of US influence in Australia's system of government, much more so than is the case for Canada.

The 'washminster" system is certainly unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
1. their land mass is about the same with mountains, deserts, and grassy fields
2.doesn't change that we're both British colonies
3.Yes, we have lots of rattle snakes and the such
4.we both have an extremely high per-capita of zoos compared to other countries
5.Blacks in Australia were prosecuted against by the whites, segregated culture exists in both countries
6.yup
7.like the poster above stated, the influence is there
8.not many places have a seaworld at all, including canada
#5, I think you'd find any nation colonised has a similar past

Old 07-29-2016, 06:12 PM

431 posts, read 521,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I think the Netherlands, Denmark and Sweden should be in the poll instead of South Africa, Singapore and China.
The USA is absolutely nothing like Sweden or Denmark.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:16 PM

431 posts, read 521,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well , I'm a Canadian and I'm telling you that Canadians on average are NOTHING like Yankees. Half of us speak English and that's about it for similarities.
LOL give me a break. You should be lucky you guys are being compared to us
On a serious note literally all of my Canadian friends (1 from Vancouver (who says ya'll), 2 from Toronto, 1 from Edmonton) all act American. If I were to have a random conversation with them at a bar or on the street without knowing their nationality I would instantly think they were from the US. Get off your high horse you guys are not that different.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:16 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Definitely Canada.
Fancy seeing you over here

Old 07-29-2016, 06:38 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
Why do people always seem to take the worst aspects of america and say we are nothing like that, its fat people and guns and ugly cities and race problems,gangs etc . America also leads the world in inventions and patents and medical innovation, nobel prizes and funding for scientific research, we are all on personal computers and awaiting the new inventions and innovations and start ups and cool trends and new companies coming out of america

Instead of always talking about the worst aspects of america which countries have the kind of space program you see in Houston and space coast, or a Silicon valley or Austin or Seattle with tons of new tech companies . I dont think any country in the world has been able to recreate the silicon valley and american kind of entrepreneurship and start up culture?

Old 07-29-2016, 06:51 PM

1,147 posts, read 717,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
If the US is barely western then where would it be?
In its own universe. There is no place quite like it.

The other "Western" countries share principles that the U.S. still rejects. In fact, I've often heard Americans expressing something along the lines of "this is America, we don't want to be like them or the rest of the world."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World