Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 08:40 AM

8,871 posts, read 8,461,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I feel badly for most travelling Americans as they are grouped as a nation and anti-Americanism is always in fashion no matter where you go just some times more than others. The US foreign policy is always being reflected upon the traveller and totally unfairly.

In Canada it's extremely common almost to the point of being the norm that when a Canadians is travelling outside Canada or the US, they have something on the baggage signifying that they are Canadians. It's not that they want to shove Canada down anyone's throat but rather they don't want to be confused as being an Americans. Americans are uniformly are the least welcomed and worse treated people no matter where they go. When someone finds out you are Canadian and not American overseas you get a totally different reaction from the locals. The Canadian could be a dick and the American super-nice but that doesn't matter, the American will be treated much worse.
What an absurd statement. Americans are amongst the most welcomed peoples in pretty much all tourist destinations around the world.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:11 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,298,897 times
Quote:
I feel badly for most travelling Americans as they are grouped as a nation and anti-Americanism is always in fashion no matter where you go just some times more than others. The US foreign policy is always being reflected upon the traveller and totally unfairly.

In Canada it's extremely common almost to the point of being the norm that when a Canadians is travelling outside Canada or the US, they have something on the baggage signifying that they are Canadians. It's not that they want to shove Canada down anyone's throat but rather they don't want to be confused as being an Americans. Americans are uniformly are the least welcomed and worse treated people no matter where they go. When someone finds out you are Canadian and not American overseas you get a totally different reaction from the locals. The Canadian could be a dick and the American super-nice but that doesn't matter, the American will be treated much worse.
Why do you think it's OK to completely make things up and spew them onto this forum?

I have been to many places in Europe and I have received nothing but respect and kindness. I have even had brief political discussions with people in Europe when they realize I'm American and it's always respectful. There have been a couple of teasing jabs but that's it.

I'd be willing to bet that Canadians are actually treated more indifferently.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:36 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,937,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Why do you think it's OK to completely make things up and spew them onto this forum?

I have been to many places in Europe and I have received nothing but respect and kindness. I have even had brief political discussions with people in Europe when they realize I'm American and it's always respectful. There have been a couple of teasing jabs but that's it.

I'd be willing to bet that Canadians are actually treated more indifferently.
He's right about the little Canadian flags on the backpacks and jackets though. You must have done something to make your friendly Canadian neighbours not want to be mistaken for American.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:31 AM

998 posts, read 884,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Really? There's countries in 2016 where you won't see any foreigners?
Yes specially out of their capital cities even in Brazil

Old 12-20-2016, 10:59 AM

8,871 posts, read 8,461,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
He's right about the little Canadian flags on the backpacks and jackets though. You must have done something to make your friendly Canadian neighbours not want to be mistaken for American.
No one wants to be mistaken as someone else. Some Canadians like their maple flag and that doesn't make them America-haters. I bet no single Austrian would want to be mistaken as German either, that doesn't mean that Germany has done "something" to Austria. Same goes for Belgians, Irish, Swiss ... virtually all smaller states that have larger neighbours with whom they have things in common.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:18 AM
F18

542 posts, read 530,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I explained my reasons for that in the post that you quoted. I have no intention of repeating them here.
The only Europeans that are somewhat strongly connected to a former empire are the British. No other country cares. Besides most Europeans prefer a functional country that cares about the well-being of its citizens rather than being a world empire.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:37 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,798,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
What an absurd statement. Americans are amongst the most welcomed peoples in pretty much all tourist destinations around the world.
For the most part, yes, but not always. I studied in Spain and traveled around Europe right after we invaded Iraq. People were not happy with Americans during that time, they had ALOT to say. A friend of mine was spit at in Italy when he was speaking English and was called something like 'war-monger' in Italian.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:38 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,952,341 times
Quote:

I know for some reason Canadians really believe this to be true, but it has not been my experience at all.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:44 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,798,412 times
Quote:
No one wants to be mistaken as someone else. Some Canadians like their maple flag and that doesn't make them America-haters. I bet no single Austrian would want to be mistaken as German either, that doesn't mean that Germany has done "something" to Austria. Same goes for Belgians, Irish, Swiss ... virtually all smaller states that have larger neighbours with whom they have things in common.
Well the Canadian mentality is very different, plus they have their own unique culture. They have many things to be proud of, I wouldn't want to be confused with being American if I was Canadian. Especially now, the US is schizophrenic, divided and aggressive.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:54 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,937,999 times
Quote:
Well, the Germans annexed Austria in the late 30s for starters . Still, I don't see Austrians wearing Austrian flags to prevent being mistaken for German. No, there is really something going on between Canadians and Americans that you are not telling us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World