Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 12:41 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
No offense, but I find Melbourne to be a boring place with poor infratructure/amenities relative to its population size if compared to other cities(that has a similar population) in the world. Its beaches and skiing(very little snow!) are also very subpar on a global level.
That's okay. No place is perfect and I prefer a slower pace. I don't do nightlife except late night food and bars. I love Brisbane too, but it's summers are a little hot for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 02:02 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,381,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
No offense, but I find Melbourne to be a boring place with poor infratructure/amenities relative to its population size if compared to other cities(that has a similar population) in the world. Its beaches and skiing(very little snow!) are also very subpar on a global level.
Just out curiosity which "other cities" are you referring to?

Old 04-03-2017, 01:17 PM

22 posts, read 46,480 times
History of Las Vegas
Public transport of LA
Government of Pyongyang
Attractions of Baltimore
Safety of Caracas
Summer nightlife of Riyadh
Winter nightlife of Nome
Traffic of Atlanta
Bike lanes of Sydney
Nature of Mogadishu
Climate of Kano
Multiculturalism of Johannesburg

That would be a perfect horrible city for me. Alas, that does exist, it's called Detroit!

Old 04-03-2017, 01:26 PM

22 posts, read 46,480 times
But really:

Here are my top cities:

Valencia
Lisbon
Budapest
Taipei
Barcelona
Munich
Hamburg
Hong Kong
Singapore
LA/San Diego only for weather

Old 04-03-2017, 02:08 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Seriously. I'm NOT a city person at all, but the fact that nature was just a short walk/bus ride away prevented me from feeling trapped and encouraged me to move around and be active. And it's this sort of atmosphere that makes people nicer and happier (I know some people have said that Vancouverites are cold and unfriendly, but I found them to be quite the opposite). People aren't meant to sit indoors all day everyday with no greenery in sight; it's depressing and suffocating.
You have to come back in summer. The city lives outdoors then.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:59 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I'll go with Bangkok, just a great fun city with awesome food at low prices and party atmosphere.
As long as you have a western income I would agree! Its hard to explain but I feel more 'alive' in Bangkok than any other city in the world. I dream of a bowl of Tom Yum soup from my favourite restaurant in the city and I can't find an adequate imitation anywhere else.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:53 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
As long as you have a western income I would agree! Its hard to explain but I feel more 'alive' in Bangkok than any other city in the world. I dream of a bowl of Tom Yum soup from my favourite restaurant in the city and I can't find an adequate imitation anywhere else.
When I say how nice the Thai are and they always smile (LOS), Thai say yes because you are not Thai. My comment that Bangkok is the world's best city is because it is so energetic, so party focused, the food is outstanding, there is joy and happiness to be had and plenty of nice hotels and apartments. I get it that an expat on an expat salary helps a lot.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:03 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
When I say how nice the Thai are and they always smile (LOS), Thai say yes because you are not Thai. My comment that Bangkok is the world's best city is because it is so energetic, so party focused, the food is outstanding, there is joy and happiness to be had and plenty of nice hotels and apartments. I get it that an expat on an expat salary helps a lot.
Agree with all and with all that the value is incredible for a western tourist. After a cheap one hour Wat Pho Massage you feel brand new

Old 04-05-2017, 05:48 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
This is the first time I see you being critical to Taiwan and I'm glad.
Well, that's ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I've said the architecture in Taipei is often horrid, the economy in regards to wages versus cost of living isn't great for a lot of younger folk in Taipei, and the pollution and humidity can really get to you. I've said these things several times before I'm sure.

I still really like the place though. It's good fun.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
What city in the world meets your standard of perfect and if you don't believe there is a such thing as a perfect city, what city in the world comes the closest to it?

Pretty simple question.

Me personally, I would go with Barcelona. It has perfect scenery, perfect weather, and perfect urban environment to go with an astounding food scene, nightlife scene, outdoor recreation scene, and social scene. The city is top notch architecturally, by public transport, by the feel and liveliness of the pedestrian experience, and lots of smart and good looking people.
For most people i would suggest pretty much any city in Switzerland, i was just there recently and everything was so nice, clean, safe, everyone is so nice, the scenery is amazing everywhere you go. people just leave there bicycles outside of stores not locked up. however it is pretty expensive but you can make it by if you seek out the cheap spots..

For me i spend a lot of time in the Phoenix area and i love it, its just a basic city with plenty of amenities, a nice large airport, my type of weather, i love the whole vibe of the American southwest, the desert is absolutely beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World