Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
Lisbon 35 58.33%
San Francisco 25 41.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:13 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
- Location - Lisbon by a long way. Located in the most interesting continent on earth but also close to one of my favourite places Morocco! Cheap flights to the rest of Europe and Africa and just that much closer to more places in Asia.

- Weather - I'll go with S.F on this. I can bear summer heat but I prefer the year round temperate climate of S.F.

- Culture - Lisbon and not even close. I love Portugal and Portuguese culture.

- Architecture - Lisbon - not even close. Lisbon has some of the most colourful and interesting architecture around. Love the colourful tile work. Also love the Moorish influence. There are extensive blocks of old mid-rise architecture that you simply don't typically have in N.A.

- Food - Lisbon. S.F has better fine dining but I love the cheap eats everywhere you go in Lisbon I'd love some bacalhau - right now! Pasteis De Nata and coffee in the morning is divine!

- Night scene - Lisbon. Its in Europe so already at a huge advantage in this category - but the nightlife in Lisbon is alive and on oozing onto the streets in ways S.F or typical N.A cities could only dream of.

- Infrastructure - Overall i'd probably go with S.F on this one. Lisbon has a decent Subway system but it also has a smaller airport and the general condition of the city isn't on par with S.F.

Which one would you pick? To work - S.F.. Let's face it better opportunities but to live Lisbon. Its in my top 5 cities in the world to live if I could!
I really liked the nightlife, food and architecture in Lisbon too. As far a a European tourist destination I think it is very underrated.

I had Italians trying to convince me not to go, they kept telling me it was 'poor,' I'm so glad I never listen to other people's opinions about other countries. I hated Rome and loved Lisbon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 10:37 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I think SF can get VERY cold. When I was in Lisbon it was cloudy but it did feel a little warmer.

Another positive is that now I know how to speak Portuguese, I would love to live in Lisbon, I thought it was a beautiful city.

I need to build an online business so that I can move. I have a friend who lives in different countries, he works online. I'm jealous of that lifestyle.
That makes two of us.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
I really liked the nightlife, food and architecture in Lisbon too. As far a a European tourist destination I think it is very underrated.

I had Italians trying to convince me not to go, they kept telling me it was 'poor,' I'm so glad I never listen to other people's opinions about other countries. I hated Rome and loved Lisbon.
I only went there because I got a really cheap flight out of Toronto to it in 2014. I was so glad I went. I thought, well what the heck its a cheap flight how bad can it be - the weather was better than my hometown at the time so why not. It was spur of the moment. So yeah, Lisbon and Portugal in general was one of those places where I went in with mediocre expectations and was just blown away. The city is very walkable and interesting. You don't get one dominant form of urbanism either so it is always visually interesting and different. On the way back to Canada I had a long layover in Ponta Delgada and also fell in love! Soooo i'm going back to Portugal in June

Old 04-05-2017, 07:13 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
I only went there because I got a really cheap flight out of Toronto to it in 2014. I was so glad I went. I thought, well what the heck its a cheap flight how bad can it be - the weather was better than my hometown at the time so why not. It was spur of the moment. So yeah, Lisbon and Portugal in general was one of those places where I went in with mediocre expectations and was just blown away. The city is very walkable and interesting. You don't get one dominant form of urbanism either so it is always visually interesting and different. On the way back to Canada I had a long layover in Ponta Delgada and also fell in love! Soooo i'm going back to Portugal in June
That is very cool that you are returning in June. I would love to explore other areas, I only made it to Lisbon and Sintra. I'm currently looking at tickets to snatch up a deal.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:23 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Wow that is ****ing crazy.

Average net salary of $950 for a capital city in Europe is remarkbly bad though. Unbelievable.
numbeo's numbers are nothing more than bull**it

Lisbon doesn't have less wage than the average wage in Portugal according to the official european EUROSTAT source

numbeo puts also some shi**y numbers on Spain, Italy and other countries. I think the internet trolls who hate those countries just rise up the prices and put fake low wages

Old 04-05-2017, 09:07 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post

Lisbon doesn't have less wage than the average wage in Portugal according to the official european EUROSTAT source

numbeo puts also some shi**y numbers on Spain, Italy and other countries. I think the internet trolls who hate those countries just rise up the prices and put fake low wages
I also think that their figures are bs but people keep saying that they are pretty accurate so I guess there's some truth to them.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:42 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I also think that their figures are bs but people keep saying that they are pretty accurate so I guess there's some truth to them.
Maybe for US cities and another cities or countries it can be true, but for Portugal, Spain or Italy (and probably more European countries but I didn't look at more) they are very far from being true.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:00 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post

According to OECD Portugal's net full time wage is 1100 euros.
According to Eurostat, net annual earning (full-time employees in enterprises with 10 or more employees) is 1200 euros.

This is average, not full time, hence an average net wage of 950 euros for Lisbon sound pretty accurate.

Last edited by Camlon; 04-07-2017 at 06:28 AM..

Old 04-07-2017, 12:00 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Lisbon by far.

Weather: Lisbon

Culture: Lisbon, not even close.

Architecture: Lisbon, not even close.

Food: Lisbon, SF is way too precious.

Night scene: Lisbon, SF blows for night life.

Infrastructure: Lisbon

Old 04-08-2017, 02:54 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Which one would you pick? To work - S.F.. Let's face it better opportunities but to live Lisbon. It's in my top 5 cities in the world to live if I could!
That's pretty much the dilemma when considering any European city, especially southern Europe (and several other otherwise desirable places around the world).

Quote:
I need to build an online business so that I can move. I have a friend who lives in different countries, he works online. I'm jealous of that lifestyle.
I too did this over a span of some twenty years, ranging some 15 cities over three continents, including California for around two years, during which San Francisco a substantial portion of that time, and including Portugal for around two years, during which Lisbon a substantial portion of that time.

Problem with staying for too long in a country like Portugal or Italy is that you become enmeshed in their long-term structural fiscal problems, acceptable - I suppose - if you have family invested there, but sterile if you are trying to build equity on your own, so a deal-breaker for me at least.

In comparison, the US is a tax haven just by following the rules, even California.

Last edited by bale002; 04-08-2017 at 04:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World