Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 10:23 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,381,498 times

Advertisements

Do you feel safe where you live? Do you think you are loosing your privacy over the latest terrorism incidents?What are your thoughts in what your country could do and how far would you allow government to intervene

I currently live in Brazil. There hasn't been any terrorist attacks here but safety is a major concern and the population seems to be split on how far authorities can go to fiz the situation. Honestly i would like to see military intervention here, i would rather a big brother scenario than living with the constant fear of violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 12:06 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Sydney hasn't gotten any terrorist attacks (unless if you count the 2014 Lindt café siege). But yes, this is getting scary. I have a feeling that we're next. It could even be the "big" one where one of our landmarks are destroyed. The good thing is that most of our Muslims are of Lebanese and Iraqi descent. They're one of the more moderate Muslims out there. UK, on the other hand, has North African and South Asian Muslims. They tend to be more radical than the others.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:47 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
I am more afraid of being hit by a car than of being in a terrorist attack.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:50 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Yes, I feel completely safe.
No, I am not losing my privacy.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:32 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
These days getting hit by a car is reason for a terrorism investigation.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:09 AM

146 posts, read 174,720 times
I'm more afraid of the paranoia surrounding terrorism when I visit Dublin Airport as opposed to actual terrorism since the latter is incredibly rare.

I have no doubts that the Irish government is kissing the UK government's ass in regards to handing them personal data (internet searches, private purchases, background information) without the informed consent of Irish people; but to be honest, I don't think that most people in this country could care much.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:18 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Yes, statistically it is, but the people perception is really different.

Until yesterday I would have said that people feel relatively safe, but after what happened yesterday night in the city center of Turin I've really seen how people are much more afraid for the possibility than how they admit to be.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...c-firecrackers

All that panic just for a firecrackers, and I don't think that they would have mistaken it for a real explosion if they weren't afraid of terrorists.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:35 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
These days getting hit by a car is reason for a terrorism investigation.
well, not in that sense I mean.

I honestly never think about this kind of attack here, but I don't live in an area with big gatherings, and I do have many muslim friends. My perception is quite different I guess.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:58 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times
I'm more afraid of things like cardiac arrest, cancer, traffic accidents, or natural disasters, than terrorist attacks that only happen every once in a blue moon, and I suggest everyone to do the same.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:13 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I'm more afraid of things like cardiac arrest, cancer, traffic accidents, or natural disasters, than terrorist attacks that only happen every once in a blue moon, and I suggest everyone to do the same.
It is what's behind the terror attacks that is a concern to me, not the attacks themselves. It's a huge movement to upend the Western way of life. For every terrorist who attacks there are millions more who sympathize with him around the globe. According to PEW, roughly 14% of Muslims feel that terrorism is at least sometimes justified. That's a whole big mess of people to ignore.

That doesn't take into account those who will vote peacefully to change our way of life once given the opportunity. You can forget about LGBT rights, abortion rights, women's rights, freedom of expression and much more if they ever get enough voting power.

So while you rightfully minimize the odds of being a victim, the bigger picture is more concerning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World