Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mexico City or Cairo? (for a visitor)
Cairo 3 21.43%
Mexico City 11 78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 10:15 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I'm hoping that isn't the case, but also assuming it won't be. Buenos Aires and Santiago would seem to be relatively comparable to Mexico City (albeit different in a number of ways, and not quite as much of corporate centers), and not one person haggled me while I was in either.
TBH I walked around M.C quite a bit and I can't think of one example of being haggled. It is a non issue as far as i'm concerned. Cairo is a bit different. There is a general feeling in Egypt as in other places in the arab world whereby the people feel entitled to 'baksheesh' from Westerners. This is alive and well in Egypt. Khan al Khalili market is not for the faint of heart in Cairo. It is totally worth going but you must be used to the art of haggling or they'll roll over you!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khan_el-Khalili

Also DO NOT accept offers from people on the street to take you on tours. They will expect a hefty finders fee and take you to places to buy things before you even get to the overpriced tour.. I learned from many mistakes I made in my first trip to Egypt 10 years ago when I was a travel newbie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 08:19 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
What is the nightlife like in Cairo?
A lot of people go out at night, especially in summer.
I walked around at 2 am in a business area and there were crowds everywhere, mostly local people. I even wondered why they do not have to wake up in the morning.

However, if you want bars/clubs. They almost do not exist.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:40 AM

801 posts, read 1,514,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I went to Mexico City in 1991 and to Cairo in 2011. I do understand that both cities may have changed considerably, especially Mexico City.
However, my experience of when I was in both is that they were the worse places I have ever visited. In Mexico City at that time the begging by children and the aggressive hawkers were very distressing. In Cairo, just after the Arab spring, everywhere was overwhelmingly filthy. The hawkers were beyond anything I have experienced anywhere.
Giving a nearly 30-year old opinion on a city is pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World