Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 09:13 AM

595 posts, read 719,913 times

Advertisements

Trump, Maduro, Putin, Kim Jong Un and Raul Castro and to a slightly lesser degree Merkel, Macron, Evo Morales and Macri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 10:36 AM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
In the United States:

Vladimir Putin

Kim Jong Un

Benjamin Netanyahu

Xi Jinping (popularized lately by Trump)

Angela Merkel

Theresa May (somewhat popular)

Justin Trudeau (somewhat popular)

Used to be popular before they croaked:

Saddam Hussein

Osama Bin Laden

Muammar Gaddafi

Hugo Chávez

Fidel Castro

Old 03-10-2018, 03:44 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,500,936 times
Castro was incredibly popular before he died in 2016.
There are essentially 2 ways to become a household name in the world:
1. Be the leader of a strong and influential nation
2. Be in stark opposition to the leadership of the strong nations

Old 03-11-2018, 07:33 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
For Canada:

The President of the United States is very well known no matter who it is. Name recognition in Canada is likely as high as that of Canada's own Prime Minister.

The President of Mexico is very rarely a household name.

The Prime Minister of the UK is a semi-household name depending on that person's star power: higher for Thatcher and Blair, lower for Cameron-Brown-May who IMO weren't really household names.

Vladimir Putin a household name at this point because he's been there so long and for other reasons . So was Gorbachev. Medvedev was not.

Same goes for German Chancellors. Merkel is very well-known these days. So were Kohl and Schmidt but Schroeder not really.

So it's not really a "default" that Canadians will all know the PM of the UK, the German Chancellor or the President of Russia no matter who it is.

Obviously Kim Jong Un, Moammar Qadaffi, Fidel Castro have or had name recognition.

I guess the Dalai Lama is a pretty recognizable figure to most people if he counts as a national figure.

In Quebec anyway the President of France tends to be a household name no matter who it is, as do certain other high-profile politicians over there like Marine Le Pen, Ségolène Royal, Philippe Séguin, Jean-Marie Le Pen. This was not always the case though but something that has developed over the past 20-30 years. (This is not really the case in the rest of Canada unless a French politician has some type of global star power - as Macron sort of enjoys right now.)

Old 03-12-2018, 10:23 AM

461 posts, read 546,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am surprised by how many are on your list.

The leader of Sudan is a household name in Colorado USA, for example?
I'm not sure what you're inferring, but the people in the Boulder CO area are extremely wealthy, fairly educated, and very politically active. If they care enough to hold Free Tibet rallies, then yes I'd expect them to know about Sudan and its leader's war crimes. We also have many African refugees, some from Sudan.

Me, I'm an Israeli American raised in New York. I know all kinds of stuff.

jb

Old 03-12-2018, 11:30 AM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
I guess the Dalai Lama is a pretty recognizable figure to most people if he counts as a national figure.
The Pope, the Dalai Lama and the Queen of England are household names pretty much everywhere in America.

They're the equivalent of celebrities.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:50 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Currently, I would say that all but the most willfully ignorant Americans would have at least a passing familiarity with the following, who make the news several times a week, if not daily:

Putin
Merkel
May
Un
Trudeau
Duterte (a tabloid/click-bait favorite more than influential)

Honorable mention:

Macron
Juncker

Old 03-12-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
I'm not sure what you're inferring, but the people in the Boulder CO area are extremely wealthy, fairly educated, and very politically active. If they care enough to hold Free Tibet rallies, then yes I'd expect them to know about Sudan and its leader's war crimes. We also have many African refugees, some from Sudan.

Me, I'm an Israeli American raised in New York. I know all kinds of stuff.

jb
It's nothing against Boulder or any other place in Colorado in particular. I don't happen to think the leader of the Sudan is a household name on the Upper West Side of NYC or in West End London UK either.

World-wise people are no doubt aware of atrocities going on in the southern part of that country, but saying the country's leader is a household name as a result is a huge stretch. (Though it sometimes happens - Bashar Al-Assad is close to being a household name in much of the world.)

Also, it's always a good idea not to mistake one's personal entourage for wider society.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:35 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
I was wondering if in your country, there are leaders of foreign countries that basically everyone knows about. Either because of geographic proximity, history, relationships, whatever.

Also which ones that we might think your compatriots would mostly know, but that are largely unknown.

For example, we can assume Donald Trump is a household name around the world - but is that really as true as we think?

Canadians like to think our current Prime Minister Justin Trudeau enjoys name recognition worldwide. I am sure that may be partly true, but I have no idea to what degree.

Please feel free to distinguish between the country and the person.

For example - Silvio Berlusconi is globally fairly well-known as a person, but generally speaking the leader of Italy is not well-known around the planet.
It's a pretty hard to answer since politics is usually spoken with friends, rather than strangers, except of course here.

I for one think it odd that everyone in Canada doesn't know certain leaders like Theresa May, Xi Jinping or Macron, etc, since everyone I associate with does.

It has everything to do with how interested one is in politics.

In the case of the US president, you can probably safely say every Canadian knows who the president of the US is. It's not just the stuff of news, but of comedy. Not just since Trump, but for a very long time.

So unless the person is some sort of fanatic about knowing all world leaders, you are going to get IMO two groups.

Those who pay attention to politics ( and here I should add or like to travel ) and know the leaders of countries that affect their own.

Plus, those who don't pay attention at all in Canada, and can name the PM of Canada, and the US president.

As for Trudeau....well he is much better known outside of Canada than Harper ever was.

How many here can name the leader of Slovakia? I couldn't, no real need to know, unless I was visiting, I'd make an effort.

By the way it's Andrej Kiska

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-12-2018 at 07:59 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 08:19 PM

Again. Do not mistake your entourage for wider society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World