Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most similar to California?
Mexico 3 9.68%
Chile 11 35.48%
Australia 4 12.90%
South Africa 1 3.23%
Spain 14 45.16%
France 0 0%
Portugal 2 6.45%
Italy 4 12.90%
Greece 0 0%
Israel 0 0%
Turkey 1 3.23%
Morocco 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 10:41 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times

Advertisements

California is seen by some as being it's own country due to it's large size, population and economy. It's Mediterranean temperate climate is also different than anything else found in the U.S. I feel like the countries listed all share some topographic similarities to California. I'm wondering which is the most similar overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 02:28 PM

321 posts, read 334,035 times
Spain.

No wonder it was called 'New Spain' back when California was under Spanish rule. As much as it covered not only California but Mexico and some areas of Western USA, I think they came up with the name through California.

Chile is a second option but California lacks fjords and overall isn't all that similar to Southern Chile.

Along with Mexican Baja California and adjacent areas, they make up a continuum of close lands, but it seems to me that most of the California biome lies on US soil if you know what I mean.

Those are my bets.

Last edited by Oraculo; 06-08-2018 at 02:39 PM..

Old 06-08-2018, 06:31 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
What about Italy?

Old 06-08-2018, 07:22 PM

518 posts, read 398,310 times
I voted Spain

Old 06-08-2018, 08:55 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
I think Chile narrowly inches out Italy, which IMO inches out Spain. Chile has three important features not seen in Spain; the first is high mountains not too far from the coast. The second highest mountain range actually. The Sierras are not nearly as high as the Andes but more rugged and higher than any in Spain. The second is the presence of volcanoes in those mountains. This Italy also shares but Spain does not as far as I know. The third are deserts. Chile takes deserts to another extreme compared to CA having the driest in the world but CA has the one with the hottest recorded temperature. CA also has the Colorado Desert subregion of the Sonoran which usually has the highest average North American temperatures. It also has expansive sand dunes in places. Spain as far as I know has nothing like this. Both Chile and CA also have a fertile central valley. California shares a feature with both Spain and France in being rather cool and damp in the north but warm and milder in the south. Chile is opposite of course being south of the Equator and the changes are more extreme.

California, Spain, Chile, France, and Italy all share a reputation for producing great wine

Old 06-08-2018, 09:27 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think Chile narrowly inches out Italy, which IMO inches out Spain. Chile has three important features not seen in Spain; the first is high mountains not too far from the coast. The second highest mountain range actually. The Sierras are not nearly as high as the Andes but more rugged and higher than any in Spain. The second is the presence of volcanoes in those mountains. This Italy also shares but Spain does not as far as I know. The third are deserts. Chile takes deserts to another extreme compared to CA having the driest in the world but CA has the one with the hottest recorded temperature. CA also has the Colorado Desert subregion of the Sonoran which usually has the highest average North American temperatures. It also has expansive sand dunes in places. Spain as far as I know has nothing like this. Both Chile and CA also have a fertile central valley. California shares a feature with both Spain and France in being rather cool and damp in the north but warm and milder in the south. Chile is opposite of course being south of the Equator and the changes are more extreme.

California, Spain, Chile, France, and Italy all share a reputation for producing great wine
I think you are wrong about Spain....I have been to Spain twice and chose it from the list.

Spain does have high mountains near the coast, the highest mountain in Spain is located
in southern Spain in the Sierra Nevada (sound familiar) at about 3500 meters or 11,500 ft,
highest mountain in Europe outside of the Alps!

Old 06-08-2018, 10:17 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I think you are wrong about Spain....I have been to Spain twice and chose it from the list.

Spain does have high mountains near the coast, the highest mountain in Spain is located
in southern Spain in the Sierra Nevada (sound familiar) at about 3500 meters or 11,500 ft,
highest mountain in Europe outside of the Alps!
I stand corrected on mountains. What about the deserts and volcanoes? If Spain lacks those, it can't be Chile.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:48 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Northern Mexico, Chile and Spain.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:55 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I stand corrected on mountains. What about the deserts and volcanoes? If Spain lacks those, it can't be Chile.
Spain has a desert area around Almeria, that is where some of those famous 60s
“spaghetti” westerns were filmed, like “Fistful of Dollars”.

As for volcanoes...Spain has them but they are in the Canary Islands,
tallest one reaching almost 13,000 ft.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:41 AM

570 posts, read 508,691 times
Australia’s coasts feel a lot like California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World