Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 10:44 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
People are basing their opinions on this based on what's on Wikipedia. LOL

I remember when I was a college student. The professors made it very clear that if it was discovered that any student used Wikipedia as a source for their essays/projects/thesis/etc, they would receive an automatic F.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.liv...wikipedia.html

Wikipedia for the most part is reliable and accurate, the reason why you can’t source it is because it’s not a source in it of itself. It’s a summarization of conglomeration of sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 11:19 AM

622 posts, read 427,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
So why isn't Siberia part of your definition of western civilization? Slavs make up over 80% of the Siberian population and many of the indigenous population has become russified and adopted the orthodox faith, though many have also remained shamanistic or Buddhist.

That being said I looked at the wiki pages of other languages, and most of them put Latin America in a special category, and non of them consider Russia part of the Western world.

German / Italian / English

French

Spanish

Russian

I think the reason why most other people are reluctant to put Latin america squarely into the west is because Latin America has a rich history and culture that is a bit isolated from the rest of western Europe. And then some others only view some Latin Americans as western (those in the far south) while the ones further north are more of a quasi western.
Whoever made this map was extremelly ignorant.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
So what is your opinion on how to categorize eastern Europe, Caucuses, Sub-Saharan Africa and the Philippines?

You can be Christian and speak a Latin based language and still be considered outside of the west, for instance Romania.

By ignorant Americans that probably vote Trump. Romania and Latin America were part of the west centuries before your country came into existance. I don't consider the US part of the west.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:55 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times
Which are the western countries?
* Those who said that themselves are western, and
* Those that nobody else would deny that they are western.

As I said in another topic, I used to consider Latin America as part of the West due to the cultural heritage, but in the contemporary geopolitics it makes more sense to divide the world into West-East-South, and in this case Latin America is definitively part of the south, grouped with Subsaharan Africa.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:44 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Which are the western countries?
* Those who said that themselves are western, and
* Those that nobody else would deny that they are western.

As I said in another topic, I used to consider Latin America as part of the West due to the cultural heritage, but in the contemporary geopolitics it makes more sense to divide the world into West-East-South, and in this case Latin America is definitively part of the south, grouped with Subsaharan Africa.
What about Japan

Old 08-25-2018, 09:58 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
What about Japan

Japan is an Eastern country.

Their culture and values are heavily influenced by Buddhism and sinitic traditions, aside of their own Shinto tradition, which is also millenarian and has no connection to the western culture. Obviously, they have a sustainable and enduring multi-party democracy which is a typical feature of the western countries, but both the culture space and the geographic place put them definitively in the East.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:30 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Japan is an Eastern country.

Their culture and values are heavily influenced by Buddhism and sinitic traditions, aside of their own Shinto tradition, which is also millenarian and has no connection to the western culture. Obviously, they have a sustainable and enduring multi-party democracy which is a typical feature of the western countries, but both the culture space and the geographic place put them definitively in the East.
Politically and economically, Japan is a U.S ally with an industrialized economy.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
So what is your opinion on how to categorize eastern Europe, Caucuses, Sub-Saharan Africa and the Philippines?

You can be Christian and speak a Latin based language and still be considered outside of the west, for instance Romania.

South Africa is Western, so Phyllipmesm Easrern Europe is westernm of coursem caususes toyo. Our culture comes from there,

Old 08-26-2018, 10:13 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Quote:
And they are an island nation with a constitutional monarchy, and they like to drink tea.
I never really thought of how much British and Japanese cultures overlap. Also why does everyone on this forum act completely clueless whenever you bring up "the west".

Old 08-27-2018, 04:42 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Israel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World