Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What country in the world has the most FREEDOM?
USA 31 31.63%
Canada 16 16.33%
Mexico 2 2.04%
Australia 6 6.12%
Czech Republic 0 0%
Netherlands 6 6.12%
Hungary 2 2.04%
Romania 0 0%
Denmark 2 2.04%
Finland 4 4.08%
Norway 6 6.12%
Sweden 2 2.04%
United Kingdom 1 1.02%
Greece 1 1.02%
Italy 1 1.02%
Spain 0 0%
Turkey 0 0%
Germany 0 0%
Switzerland 4 4.08%
Colombia 2 2.04%
Philippines 0 0%
Japan 2 2.04%
Thailand 0 0%
Brazil 0 0%
Other 10 10.20%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 07:59 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times

Advertisements

This is an objective question. Freedom is measured by various agencies worldwide, and as of 2018, there are only three countries in the best situation in all the performance indicators, concerning economy, politics, religion, press and speech: Switzerland, Ireland and New Zealand. As Switzerland is the only country in the world working as a direct democracy, it's safe to say that Switzerland is the most free country worldwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 10:07 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
This is an objective question. Freedom is measured by various agencies worldwide, and as of 2018, there are only three countries in the best situation in all the performance indicators, concerning economy, politics, religion, press and speech: Switzerland, Ireland and New Zealand. As Switzerland is the only country in the world working as a direct democracy, it's safe to say that Switzerland is the most free country worldwide.
It’s still pretty subjective: what is “freedom”, what’s the best way to assess it, what contributes to or guarantees it in each society given its size, demographics and economy, and how do you realistically and pragmatically assess how each country compares against those criteria. Each one of those requires a pretty subjective assessment.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:58 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
I fail to see the link between direct democracy and freedom.

I do agree, that direct democracy is good, but it's only as good as the prevailing attitudes of the citizens.

For instance. In Spain, and Canada, equal marriage has existed since 2005. Those gay citizens would argue that they are less free in Switzerland ,which if finally, hopefully, going to have equal marriage this year

Last edited by Natnasci; 02-20-2019 at 11:29 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I fail to see the link between direct democracy and freedom.

I do agree, that direct democracy is good, but it's only as good as the prevailing attitudes of the citizens.

For instance. In Spain, and Canada, equal marriage has existed since 2005. Those gay citizens would argue that they are less free in Switzerland ,which if finally, hopefully, going to have equal marriage this year
On the other hand, are gays more likely to suffer prejudice in Switzerland than in Canada or Spain?
The law in Brazil allows gay marriage; however, it is generaly regarded as a strong taboo in the brazilian society.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:13 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
Quote:

Civilian police? I've never heard the term used in Canada. What do you mean by it?
This is what he said in the video (7 minute mark): "the police is hidden where you least expect it" "they (the police) also drive in unmarked cars" "so, if one is about to turn a corner and hasn't the turn signal turned on when an unmarked police car is on the back, they will stop you shortly after and apply you a fine without squeamishness". And obviously if you dare to try a bribe they will arrest you inmediately. Also he says they fine you with 500 dollars if you use your smartphone when driving.
In other videos he talk about what can happen to you if you don't collect the poop of your dog, too.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
On the other hand, are gays more likely to suffer prejudice in Switzerland than in Canada or Spain?
The law in Brazil allows gay marriage; however, it is generaly regarded as a strong taboo in the brazilian society.
Yet, those gay Brazilians are freer because of the law that allows gay marriage. What also counts are laws that protect minorities from other discrimination in employment and housing.

My point is, that LAWS not a lack of laws, or lax laws, give MORE freedom in protecting peoples rights.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
This is what he said in the video (7 minute mark): "the police is hidden where you least expect it" "they (the police) also drive in unmarked cars" "so, if one is about to turn a corner and hasn't the turn signal turned on when an unmarked police car is on the back, they will stop you shortly after and apply you a fine without squeamishness". And obviously if you dare to try a bribe they will arrest you inmediately. Also he says they fine you with 500 dollars if you use your smartphone when driving.
In other videos he talk about what can happen to you if you don't collect the poop of your dog, too.
Well there are no civilian police. There are police in unmarked cars, called ghost cars.

Still, seriously? He is complaining because he can't drive unsafely? Bribe the police!! Is Argentina that corrupt?

Old 02-21-2019, 09:34 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
Quote:
Well there are no civilian police. There are police in unmarked cars, called ghost cars.

Still, seriously? He is complaining because he can't drive unsafely? Bribe the police!! Is Argentina that corrupt?
He is NOT complaining at all bro! He is only comparing it with latinamerican mentality/organization. In fact he moved there because he agrees with that system and way of life. No need to get sensitive/defensive buddy!

Old 02-21-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Yet, those gay Brazilians are freer because of the law that allows gay marriage. What also counts are laws that protect minorities from other discrimination in employment and housing.

My point is, that LAWS not a lack of laws, or lax laws, give MORE freedom in protecting peoples rights.
I don't know what are laws in other countries, but marriage in Brazil - both gay and straight - has no practical advantages at all in most cases. The law grants to single people living together the same rights and duties of married ones, what is called here as "união estável" (stable union). It only makes easier some contracts for insurance or children adoption, but the lack of marriage also doesn't represent a major obstacle.

I'm not gay, so I'm not the best person to make statements about this... but if I were, I think I would rather prefer to live in a country where I can walk anywhere withouth fear of suffering violence than in a country with more rights "de jure", but not "de facto".

Old 02-21-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
He is NOT complaining at all bro! He is only comparing it with latinamerican mentality/organization. In fact he moved there because he agrees with that system and way of life. No need to get sensitive/defensive buddy!
I'm not getting sensitive.

You did say " Canada winning? lax laws there?, mmm i don't know. .."

By stating " Canada winning?..." in answering the question which country has the most freedom?, it sounds like you are equating more laws with less freedom.

If your point was to state that Canada isn't lax in laws, which I agree, I did not get that from your post. It was very unclear.

Last edited by Natnasci; 02-21-2019 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World