Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is overall better?
Rio de Janeiro 18 60.00%
Ho Chi Minh City 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 07:34 PM

1,002 posts, read 908,086 times

Advertisements

Yeah,I chose Rio de Janeiro.. the reason is that Ho Chi Minh City compared to Jakarta or Bangkok is still far below let alone comparing with Rio de Janeiro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 06:14 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
I think a comparison of Latin American cities vs Southeast Asian cities is really interesting as both regions are highly urbanized with countries in each region at very different levels of development. In this comparison, I lean heavily towards Ho Chi Minh on food though I recognize that greatly changes from person to person and I think Rio wins all the rest except for crime. On a more objective comparison, I think Rio takes it for the most part unless you heavily weight crime and inequality in the criteria which is a pretty reasonable thing to do.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:54 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Despite the fact that I am quite interested in HCMC and its level of development and amenities, I realize that a better analogue for Rio in Southeast Asia for level of development and infrastructure might be Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:21 PM

881 posts, read 923,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think a comparison of Latin American cities vs Southeast Asian cities is really interesting as both regions are highly urbanized with countries in each region at very different levels of development. In this comparison, I lean heavily towards Ho Chi Minh on food though I recognize that greatly changes from person to person and I think Rio wins all the rest except for crime. On a more objective comparison, I think Rio takes it for the most part unless you heavily weight crime and inequality in the criteria which is a pretty reasonable thing to do.

true but there is much more disparity in SEA, where there are fully developed countries, middle income and low income ones. Whereas in Latin America almost all countries have at least high HDI, or are close to be in that category.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
true but there is much more disparity in SEA, where there are fully developed countries, middle income and low income ones. Whereas in Latin America almost all countries have at least high HDI, or are close to be in that category.
True although the least developed in Latin America which is Haiti (0.498) is considerably worse off than the least developed in South East Asia which is Myanmar (0.578).

Old 09-17-2019, 04:57 PM

21 posts, read 17,103 times
I think Manila would be an interesting comparison.
Actually I googled Ho Chi M and didn't find anything in common with Rio de Janeiro.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:36 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
True although the least developed in Latin America which is Haiti (0.498) is considerably worse off than the least developed in South East Asia which is Myanmar (0.578).
Haiti is not really considered Latin America despite being Francophone. The poorest Latin American countries are Bolivia and Nicaragua.

Also despite having much less population, Latin American countries have more centres of development with sometimes 2-3 or more cities competing with the main city, whereas SE Asian countries tend to have one megacity and that's it.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 09-17-2019 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-17-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNationII View Post
I think Manila would be an interesting comparison.
Actually I googled Ho Chi M and didn't find anything in common with Rio de Janeiro.
Manila doesn't compare to Rio in development either. The closest comparison would be something like Bangkok. Not even Jakarta can match up.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Haiti is not really considered Latin America despite being Francophone. The poorest Latin American countries are Bolivia and Nicaragua.

Also despite having much less population, Latin American countries have more centres of development with sometimes 2-3 or more cities competing with the main city, whereas SE Asian countries tend to have one megacity and that's it.
If Haiti is not considered Latin America then what are they? They speak a latin based language and are according to this definition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_America

Also, the Spanish speaking country with the lowest HDI is Honduras (0.617) and not Bolivia (0.693) or Nicaragua (0.658)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...elopment_Index

Old 09-18-2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
If Haiti is not considered Latin America then what are they?
They're Afro-Caribbean. It's the most black majority country in the hemisphere. Their culture is predominantly West African rather than Latin, whereas in Hispanic and Lusophone America Latin is the predominant culture even in heavily Native American influenced cultures like Mexico and Peru. Africans are an important minority group in many LatAm countries as they are in the States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World