Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 09:55 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 16 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 981,578 times

Advertisements

NYC
LA
Tokyo
Shanghai
Hong Kong
Dubai
Moscow
London
Paris
Singapore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 05:45 PM

3,552 posts, read 2,341,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Same with Cairo and Athens. The pyramids are not even within the city and take out the acropolis and Athens is a dvmp
The Pyramids are literally surrounding on 3 sides by development a 10 minute walk away. Arbitrary administrative limits aside, they are in Cairo, no more than LaDefense is "part" of Paris.

Taking out the Acropolis is like taking out the Eiffel Tower in Paris, the Colosseum in Rome, the Tokyo Tower in Tokyo or Sydney's Opera House. Those structures are the reason the cities are instantly recognizable.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:12 PM

30,655 posts, read 18,269,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I agree about Istanbul but not really about Venice. It's both well-known and unique looking. Whereas a lot of people might simply label a view of Tokyo as some random Asian megalopolis.
I can see the argument about Tokyo, but ultimately disagree, specially when we start putting Mount Fuji in the background as I often see panoramas of the skyline include.

I think Venice is pretty distinctive--especially for the seasoned traveler and "cultured" person. I just wouldn't put it as top 10 personally.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:21 AM

570 posts, read 510,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
The Pyramids are literally surrounding on 3 sides by development a 10 minute walk away. Arbitrary administrative limits aside, they are in Cairo, no more than LaDefense is "part" of Paris.

Taking out the Acropolis is like taking out the Eiffel Tower in Paris, the Colosseum in Rome, the Tokyo Tower in Tokyo or Sydney's Opera House. Those structures are the reason the cities are instantly recognizable.
Those cities have in common a very famous landmark, but they are distinguishable for more reasons. Paris has the Louvre, the arc de Triomphe, Montmartre. Rome has the Vatican, the fountains, the pantheon. Sydney has a super famous bridge, the shape of the harbour, a famous fireworks show in NYE.

Cairo and Athens?

Old 04-08-2020, 07:25 AM

Another city distinguishable that hasn’t been mentioned is Berlin.
-The famous Brandenburg Gate
-The Reichstag building
-Fractions of the wall. You see a wall with a graffiti and it must be Berlin
- the tv tower
- the Victoria column

Old 04-08-2020, 04:08 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,733,559 times
Quote:
Another city distinguishable that hasn’t been mentioned is Berlin.
-The famous Brandenburg Gate
-The Reichstag building
-Fractions of the wall. You see a wall with a graffiti and it must be Berlin
- the tv tower
- the Victoria column
Hardly. You don't see the Brandenburg gate or the Reichstag in every shot of the city and a little wall isn't going to tell you much, the tv tower is the most visible but who can identify a city from a tv tower?

Even Cartagena, Colombia is more distinguishable, you've got the unique shape of the harbour & peninsulas, the San Felipe fort & walls, the Popa hill, the San Pedro Claver church, the cathedral and the clocktower. Put a statement bridge between any of the islands/peninsulas and you'll have one of the most recognisable cities in the world.

Cartagena_Colombia_cs-b9a2c77a9fe3-1 by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

Cartagena de Indias
by Alejandro Gonzalez, on Flickr

Cartagena de Indias, Colombia by R. Halfpaap, on Flickr

Evening in Cartagena by xin forum, on Flickr

Paisaje Cartagena 3 by David Covo, on Flickr

Convento-La-Popa-Hill-Castillo-San-Felipe-de-Barajas-Cartagena-Caribbean-Colombia by Juan Ortiz, on Flickr

The Castle by Carlos A. Aviles, on Flickr

Cartagena de Indias by Louis Vest, on Flickr

Cartagena - by Gordon M1, on Flickr

Cartagena Image-from-iOS-1 by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

Fuerte de San Felipe de Barajas vista aérea by David Covo, on Flickr

Old 04-08-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Hardly. You don't see the Brandenburg gate or the Reichstag in every shot of the city and a little wall isn't going to tell you much, the tv tower is the most visible but who can identify a city from a tv tower?

Even Cartagena, Colombia is more distinguishable, you've got the unique shape of the harbour & peninsulas, the San Felipe fort & walls, the Popa hill, the San Pedro Claver church, the cathedral and the clocktower. Put a statement bridge between any of the islands/peninsulas and you'll have one of the most recognisable cities in the world.

Cartagena_Colombia_cs-b9a2c77a9fe3-1 by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

Cartagena de Indias
by Alejandro Gonzalez, on Flickr

Cartagena de Indias, Colombia by R. Halfpaap, on Flickr

Evening in Cartagena by xin forum, on Flickr

Paisaje Cartagena 3 by David Covo, on Flickr

Convento-La-Popa-Hill-Castillo-San-Felipe-de-Barajas-Cartagena-Caribbean-Colombia by Juan Ortiz, on Flickr

The Castle by Carlos A. Aviles, on Flickr

Cartagena - by Gordon M1, on Flickr

Cartagena Image-from-iOS-1 by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

Fuerte de San Felipe de Barajas vista aérea by David Covo, on Flickr
The Brandenburg gate is very iconic and it’s a symbol of Berlin and unification (The fall of the wall. I have been to Cartagena and it’s not distinguishable. It’s very similar to Panama City or San Juan.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
The Brandenburg gate is very iconic and it’s a symbol of Berlin and unification (The fall of the wall. I have been to Cartagena and it’s not distinguishable. It’s very similar to Panama City or San Juan.
Neither Panama or San Juan are made up of peninsulas or islands like New York's Manhattan which is a long strip that jets out into the sea like Bocagrande and Castillogrande, Cartagena - this is distinguishable. Panama doesn't have a massive fort and San Juan hardly has any walls or a hill-top convent (it's completely flat) and neither have a Florence/St.Paul's style massive domed church or a cathedral with a a renaissance style tower/spire.

The Bradenburg gate is not in every shot of Berlin, it can't be, it's too small and low, plenty of arched/columned monuments the world over. Sure it has symbolism but the actual structure is generic and I repeat, is an insignificant presence in a panoramic shot of the city.

Berlin City Skyline Panorama
by Frank, on Flickr

Berlin - Skyline Sunset Colours by Jean Claude Castor, on Flickr

Time lapse of Berlin skyline at night by Szecska, on Flickr

I'll show this to people in my work place and 80% will be like And we're in Europe! Not to mention Germany is an ultra-famous country worldwide. Budapest is more distinguishable!

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 04-08-2020 at 07:59 PM..

Old 04-08-2020, 10:28 PM

I defy someone to show me a city that snakes on the ocean like this forming lagoons within the urban footprint...would be good to know.

Cartagena of Indies

Cartagena de Indias Colombia by ARTExplorer, on Flickr

071014_085 by Jairo Rico Calvano, on Flickr

360 Cartagena by Andrés Uribe, on Flickr

12 January 2016 Cartagena (207) by Paul Featherstone, on Flickr

Cartagena de Indias by José María Arboleda C., on Flickr

Cartagena 61d5486fb7e3ff42fb89dbfea64c8459 by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

Cartagena 397_630 by Jon Aracataca, on Flickr

Buceo Cartagena Colombia by Buceo Cartagena Colombia Cartagena Divers, on Flickr

CTG 4499403028_6084a40616_b by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

CARTAGENA by AVM608, on Flickr

Cartagena_from_the_Air copy by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Vista desde The Beach Hostel by Ximena Carrillo, on Flickr

Old 04-09-2020, 03:03 AM

61,812 posts, read 87,269,132 times
Really... None of them ^^^^

Paris
Dubai
Moscow
Sidney
Tokyo
Berlin
Rio de Janeiro
New York
Istanbul
Singapore

Plus many more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World