Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On a scale of 1-10, how "developed / first world" is the USA?
1 5 4.10%
2 1 0.82%
3 2 1.64%
4 3 2.46%
5 6 4.92%
6 23 18.85%
7 17 13.93%
8 29 23.77%
9 13 10.66%
10 23 18.85%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 02:55 PM

37,250 posts, read 39,538,577 times

Advertisements

OP, what's the scale? Is '1' bottom of developed countries or bottom of all countries? What's '5'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 11:24 PM

676 posts, read 651,073 times
Realistically it's an 8 despite what some pessimists think.

If "10" is like the top Nordic countries (Norway, Iceland, Sweden) and 9 are the highly developed European countries (i.e. Germany, Netherlands) and Singapore, then it stands to reason US is around 8 along with Canada, UK, Japan, New Zealand etc.

7 would be France/Italy/Greece
6 would be Qatar/Chile/Croatia
5 would be Russia/Turkey/Romania
4 would be China/Mexico/Brazil
3 would be Phillipines/Indonesia/Vietnam
2 would be India/Bangladesh/Pakistan
1 would be Nigeria/Syria/Kenya
0 would be Somalia/Niger/Central African Republic

At minimum it can be "7" but I feel like France and Italy have bigger problems than the US. If you scale 0-10, nevermind 1-10, across over 200 countries there is absolutely no way the US can be below the top 30% of developed countries (top 60), and realistically is easily in the top 20% (top 40).

Old 04-23-2020, 05:41 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,976,604 times
I think a lot of Scandinavians who believe their nation is so much safer and cleaner than America don't realize that America is far larger and more diverse and therefore harder to govern.

The reality is the U.S. crime rate is skewed because blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime. But go to somewhere like North Dakota or Maine, predominantly white states, and you'll see that the crime rate there is comparable with Denmark.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:04 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,451,206 times

Don't by the hype, most of America is a backwards suburb with high levels of convenience. Homeless are the mentally troubled or drug addicted, not a whole undergrowth in the population like in Brazil.

It has better services and qualities than Europe, and would anyone here question if western Europe was 'developed'?

Old 04-23-2020, 07:20 AM

6,575 posts, read 12,086,403 times
I gave it a 6, and I was feeling generous. As others mentioned, the health care, infrastructure, crime rates, income gap, etc. really make America look third world compared to other developed first world nations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you are smart, educated and hard-working, I'd give the United States a 10 out of 10. It is among the best countries in the world in terms of standard of living.

If you are average or mediocre and just want to coast through life, then it's still an okay country but your options are going to be limited. I think post #3 pretty much sums it up.
In America if you're not a celebrity, pro-athlete, CEO, politician, or a millionaire in general, then you are nothing. Just a number, another part of a machine. You work long hours for little pay and a crappy health care system, just to make your big boss richer. But that's how capitalism is supposed to be, they say. You're supposed to smile and be happy that you live in America, the greatest country in the world. You're not allowed to have an opinion if it's different from them. They'll tell you to get out if you don't like America, and go live in a country like North Korea or Venezuela since those are your only choices. Any country that's not America is like one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I gave it a 5, kinda in the middle (I call the US a 2nd world country). I'm sticking by that it's great if you can make a lot of money (tech is a big one), otherwise Europe gives a better overall package and Asia is cheaper, sans probably Hong Kong and Singapore. Both Europe and Asia being remarkably better at what we would call QOL. I can't find a single pothole in Tokyo and we're renting a whole house for what would amount to around $650/mo in Shinjuku, home of the world's busiest train station and one of the biggest nightlife/red light districts. Amazing.
Japan is the greatest country in the world, and is surprisingly not as expensive as people make it out to be. The rent/mortgage is cheap if you don't mind living in a small space. You won't find anything in NYC for that price, or barely even in Atlanta in the worst neighborhoods. Tranportation costs is what will get you, but then again you don't need a car in Tokyo so that helps as well.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:45 AM

27,650 posts, read 28,750,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
It has better services and qualities than Europe, and would anyone here question if western Europe was 'developed'?
Population of United States = 331 million

Population of United Kingdom + France + Spain + Germany + Italy = 324 million

I agree that the United States is the most comparable to these 5 countries as a group. Most other first world countries, except for Japan and South Korea, are too small in population to be properly compared with the United States.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:04 AM

37,250 posts, read 39,538,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Population of United States = 331 million

Population of United Kingdom + France + Spain + Germany + Italy = 324 million

I agree that the United States is the most comparable to these 5 countries as a group. Most other first world countries, except for Japan and South Korea, are too small in population to be properly compared with the United States.
What. You left out Benelux? They’re the core constituent countries from where the EU runs and how the various European economic and political agreements came to pass.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:28 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,425,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

The reality is the U.S. crime rate is skewed because blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime. But go to somewhere like North Dakota or Maine, predominantly white states, and you'll see that the crime rate there is comparable with Denmark.
I see your point but at the same time is it really fair to throw blacks under the bus like that? The vast majority of blacks in the USA are not immigrants, they are American as apple pie.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:55 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,737,855 times
Some people need to understand a major source of all this. It's fine stating the present scenario but what came before that makes these groups vulnerable and prone to crime?

A small snippet of a far far wider picture.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:02 PM

75 posts, read 67,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Realistically it's an 8 despite what some pessimists think.

If "10" is like the top Nordic countries (Norway, Iceland, Sweden) and 9 are the highly developed European countries (i.e. Germany, Netherlands) and Singapore, then it stands to reason US is around 8 along with Canada, UK, Japan, New Zealand etc.

7 would be France/Italy/Greece
6 would be Qatar/Chile/Croatia
5 would be Russia/Turkey/Romania
4 would be China/Mexico/Brazil
3 would be Phillipines/Indonesia/Vietnam
2 would be India/Bangladesh/Pakistan
1 would be Nigeria/Syria/Kenya
0 would be Somalia/Niger/Central African Republic

At minimum it can be "7" but I feel like France and Italy have bigger problems than the US. If you scale 0-10, nevermind 1-10, across over 200 countries there is absolutely no way the US can be below the top 30% of developed countries (top 60), and realistically is easily in the top 20% (top 40).

This ranking is false

Putting France 2 points behind is not correct
the quality of life in France is slightly worse than in Germany, but not 2 points between the 2 countries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World