Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On a scale of 1-10, how "developed / first world" is the USA?
1 5 4.10%
2 1 0.82%
3 2 1.64%
4 3 2.46%
5 6 4.92%
6 23 18.85%
7 17 13.93%
8 29 23.77%
9 13 10.66%
10 23 18.85%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 02:04 PM

14,347 posts, read 11,742,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I see your point but at the same time is it really fair to throw blacks under the bus like that? The vast majority of blacks in the USA are not immigrants, they are American as apple pie.
What does immigration have to do with anything? The point was that lily white US states basically have the crime statistics of lily white Northern European countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 02:12 PM

27,624 posts, read 28,723,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What. You left out Benelux? They’re the core constituent countries from where the EU runs and how the various European economic and political agreements came to pass.
Yes, I agree that Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg are also comparable to the United States. But I wanted to keep the comparison by including only the big 5 western European countries.

Western Europe has better social programs and public transportation than the United States. The United States has higher salaries for professionals and bigger houses than western Europe. On balance, it is the same overall standard. There is more of an individualistic or pioneer spirit in the United States. I just depends on what you prefer.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:17 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,734,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
What does immigration have to do with anything? The point was that lily white US states basically have the crime statistics of lily white Northern European countries.
Southern European countries are just as safe if not safer. Sweden has a higher homicide rate than Spain, Portugal, Italy or Greece and the micro-states of Andorra and San Marino are the safest anywhere in the world.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:41 PM

37,231 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
Well, there's a couple of things odd about that. The part that's true is that among US demographic groups, the black population has a somewhat higher homicide rate as both victims and perpetrators. However, that demographic is also generally in both more urban environments and on average less wealthy. That being said, even the safest US states generally has a higher homicide rate than Northern European countries--outside of the former Soviet Bloc (and yea, sometimes the Baltics are classified as Northern European). Meanwhile, there are European countries in the former Soviet Bloc that have homicide rates about as high as the worst of US states and there are among the states with the highest homicide rates states with very small black populations as a proportion of their population.

So yea, there's arguably lots of inaccuracies.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:54 PM

37,231 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes, I agree that Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg are also comparable to the United States. But I wanted to keep the comparison by including only the big 5 western European countries.

Western Europe has better social programs and public transportation than the United States. The United States has higher salaries for professionals and bigger houses than western Europe. On balance, it is the same overall standard. There is more of an individualistic or pioneer spirit in the United States. I just depends on what you prefer.
Well, it's odd to consider that as keeping the comparison if you're not including the core countries at the heart of the EU which also lead to the creation of the EU. Oh well, I'm guessing you were just hoping to get the population numbers kind of matched?

I agree those countries overall aren't that different from the US states overall. The only real negative thing is that the inequality in regards to what happens when you're towards the bottom half of the food chain doesn't lend for great social mobility. It's sort of like the comparatively large shift downwards in rankings that the US gets compared to most Western European countries when you go from the regular ol' Human Development Index to the Inequality-adjusted Human Development Index. The US compared to the world still comes out looking good, but not so much compared to Western European countries and certainly not to Nordic countries or Switzerland.

That's why I'm curious as to what the 1 for this scale is assuming the 10 is like one of them nice Nordic countries. Is that low end of the scale supposed to be more like South Sudan, Chile or Italy?

I think on those scales, I'd say the US is a 8, a 5, and a 3, respectively.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:56 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Realistically it's an 8 despite what some pessimists think.

If "10" is like the top Nordic countries (Norway, Iceland, Sweden) and 9 are the highly developed European countries (i.e. Germany, Netherlands) and Singapore, then it stands to reason US is around 8 along with Canada, UK, Japan, New Zealand etc.

7 would be France/Italy/Greece
6 would be Qatar/Chile/Croatia
5 would be Russia/Turkey/Romania
4 would be China/Mexico/Brazil
3 would be Phillipines/Indonesia/Vietnam
2 would be India/Bangladesh/Pakistan
1 would be Nigeria/Syria/Kenya
0 would be Somalia/Niger/Central African Republic

At minimum it can be "7" but I feel like France and Italy have bigger problems than the US. If you scale 0-10, nevermind 1-10, across over 200 countries there is absolutely no way the US can be below the top 30% of developed countries (top 60), and realistically is easily in the top 20% (top 40).
I have to agree with this. A lot of the low scores for the U.S. seem to be (probably subconsciously in many cases) more political than analytical.

Trump is POTUS so the U.S. gets a bad score from many people. (Similarly when Obama was POTUS, Tea Party types who are the other half of the population would have given low scores due to a perception he was ruining the country.)

When I am visiting the U.S. as an upper middle class individual the level of development and standard of living I am basking in is definitely a 9 or 10 and close to the top the world has to offer. (In some ways it might even be higher than in my own country, which would also rank very highly.)

If I were living in the U.S. I would still be living in that 9-10 level and as I've already said, while there is large underclass the majority of Americans are living in the "9-10 America".

Old 04-23-2020, 05:15 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,420,498 times
Quote:
My point was it is pointless to blame blacks for the violence. They are a part of America and have been for a while. They are not some seperate entity that came and "skewed" your numbers.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:25 PM

26 posts, read 19,392 times
After having traveled outside the country, some of the "first worldly" aspects of the US I may have taken for granted were:

-Stable Government
-Stable Currency
-General perception of safety
-Flushing TP down the toilet / Potable tap water

I consider myself pretty critical of the US, but I still believe the poor here are much better off than poor people in probably most of the world.

I think we have the potential of becoming a legitimate developed nation if we can realize healthcare, education, justice, and national security shouldn't be operated for profit.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:44 PM

14,347 posts, read 11,742,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
My point was it is pointless to blame blacks for the violence. They are a part of America and have been for a while. They are not some seperate entity that came and "skewed" your numbers.
I think it's very relevant; if someone is afraid of the "high crime statistics" in the US, they need to know that high crime correlates with certain demographics, and there are plenty of areas which have quite low crime.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:51 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,420,498 times
Quote:
I think it's very relevant; if someone is afraid of the "high crime statistics" in the US, they need to know that high crime correlates with certain demographics, and there are plenty of areas which have quite low crime.
So the entire opioid crisis is in Black communties? People stealing to get their fix are all Blacks? School shootings are all Blacks? All the people in tent cities shooting heroin in California are all Blacks?

There are also black commnunities that have quite low crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World