Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you vibe with the most?
London 30 34.09%
Sydney 15 17.05%
Toronto 12 13.64%
New York City 31 35.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 07:11 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times

Advertisements

Ive been to all 4... and Sydney i vibed with the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 08:42 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Ive been to all 4... and Sydney i vibed with the most.
Even though I ranked NYC first among most of the criteria, I also voted Sydney.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:13 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,821,788 times
New York

London

Sydney

Toronto

Old 05-05-2020, 03:33 AM

570 posts, read 508,988 times
Toronto shouldn’t be on this list lol those cities are on a different league. I fail to see the appeal of NYC, but I can understand the hype, as I was very excited when I arrived there the first time. Then, as soon as I got to spend more time there I couldn’t wait to get outta NYC. My completely opposite experience in Sydney and London, Paris too.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:05 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
I wouldn't say Sydney is in a totally different league compared to Toronto. They're definitely comparable even though I gather a majority of people would prefer Sydney.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:10 AM

In terms of Sydney vs. Toronto on the OP's metrics:

Architecture TIED
People/Diversity TIED for people,TORONTO for diversity
Food TORONTO
Nightlife TIED
Standard/Quality of Living SYDNEY
Economy SYDNEY
Politics TIED
Climate and Environment climate to SYDNEY, but TORONTO has better air quality on average I am pretty sure
Education TIED
Entertainment (museums, theaters, music scene, dance) TORONTO
Infrastructure and Transportation SYDNEY
Surroundings SYDNEY for the city and environs, TORONTO for wider geographic location
Fashion TIED
Literary/Cinematic/Televisual impact and exports SYDNEY for the uniqueness of its contribution, TORONTO for sheer volume

Old 05-05-2020, 07:51 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was just going to chime in that Toronto was getting a bit short-changed in this respect. I'd argue that for the average City-Data person, or the average person in general, the ease of building a nice comfortable life in Toronto is greater than in the other two.

Now, things change a bit if you add Sydney to the mix. It's more similar to Toronto in this respect. I don't know how I'd compare it in terms of COL but in terms of overall QOL it arguably either just squeaks by Toronto or Toronto just squeaks by it. (I'd probably give a slight edge to Sydney though.) Both cities have their advantages but they're often different in nature.
I would love to see Sydney one day. From the outside looking in I got the same impression as you stated. I figure it would be 1st in QOL, based on the typical metrics we use to measure that sort of thing.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:06 AM

468 posts, read 616,273 times
Sydney's really having an "it" moment. It's actually a beautiful city that flew under the radar for many years because of its distance. But I think times are changing, as global travel becomes more common and more affordable.

Through The Gap by Alexander Golder, on Flickr

Looking up at Centrepoint by VirtualWolf, on Flickr

Crown Sydney by cnd, on Flickr

Sydney2018-262 by Adam Lee, on Flickr

Sydney lights from the harbour bridge by Fleur Walton, on Flickr

Last edited by shirleyeve; 05-05-2020 at 09:19 AM..

Old 05-05-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
Sydney's really having an "it" moment. It punches very highly.

London's influence is waning.

NYC's still the centre of everything.

Tokyo is a massive sprawling megapolis.
The fourth city in this discussion is the other TO - Toronto.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:42 AM

570 posts, read 508,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In terms of Sydney vs. Toronto on the OP's metrics:

Architecture TIED
People/Diversity TIED for people,TORONTO for diversity
Food TORONTO
Nightlife TIED
Standard/Quality of Living SYDNEY
Economy SYDNEY
Politics TIED
Climate and Environment climate to SYDNEY, but TORONTO has better air quality on average I am pretty sure
Education TIED
Entertainment (museums, theaters, music scene, dance) TORONTO
Infrastructure and Transportation SYDNEY
Surroundings SYDNEY for the city and environs, TORONTO for wider geographic location
Fashion TIED
Literary/Cinematic/Televisual impact and exports SYDNEY for the uniqueness of its contribution, TORONTO for sheer volume
If Montreal was still the largest and financial capital of Canada things would be different.
Architecture / Nightlife / Entertainment. Montreal wins over Toronto and Sydney and don’t have anything to envy to London and NYC. In fact, I had way more out at night in Montreal than in London and NYC. Everything is easy to get to and it’s safer too, sorta like Berlin. Toronto is such a boring city and inspiring city. I found the architecture ugly, just soulless skyscrapers and that ugly CN tower. Sydney and Australia in general have a problem with people being obnoxious and getting out the control because of too many drinks. Lastly, I have had better food quality in Australian cities than in Canada... and no hidden fees like in Canada and the USA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World