Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2021, 07:44 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,049,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwlari View Post
What a lovely summer!

And not, I am not Irina, grow up, each time somebody says anything mildly disagreeing about the UK you behave like a child and accuse them of being Irina.
Seriously Irene, can you not understand the difference between climate and weather!? The first two weeks of July in London the temperatures were akin to Ibiza and the days were cloudless.......does that mean we can claim it has a Meditteranean climate!?

Brave New World has posted links with REAL facts concerning the British weather, neither you or anybody else have posted anything to prove that London is always rainy and cold........you can't, because its simply not true. Now if you have any REAL data that shows otherwise then we're not going to believe you.

Simples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 07:58 AM

66 posts, read 43,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Seriously Irene, can you not understand the difference between climate and weather!? The first two weeks of July in London the temperatures were akin to Ibiza and the days were cloudless.......does that mean we can claim it has a Meditteranean climate!?

Brave New World has posted links with REAL facts concerning the British weather, neither you or anybody else have posted anything to prove that London is always rainy and cold........you can't, because its simply not true. Now if you have any REAL data that shows otherwise then we're not going to believe you.

Simples.
If you call me Irene one more time I will put you in my ignore list as your accusations of me being some random woman you are familiar with (On a very personal level it seems) are pure non-sense.

You have random days of bright blue skies and warm weather, but that is due to global warming and it's often a few weeks a year and then it's back to cloudy, damp, random showers for days on end.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwlari View Post
If you call me Irene one more time I will put you in my ignore list as your accusations of me being some random woman you are familiar with (On a very personal level it seems) are pure non-sense.

You have random days of bright blue skies and warm weather, but that is due to global warming and it's often a few weeks a year and then it's back to cloudy, damp, random showers for days on end.
What absolute nonsense! You do actually have some real 'facts' you can post to back this up right?

Old 07-30-2021, 08:18 AM

27,232 posts, read 13,521,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What absolute nonsense! You do actually have some real 'facts' you can post to back this up right?
I don't think Irene has ever heard of the Four Seasons.

In case you don't know Irene, they are Spring - Summer - Autumn - Winter.

Each season brings different weather.

The Italian composer Antonio Vivaldi Vivaldi wrote a rather famous piece of music about the Four Seasons.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:26 AM

49 posts, read 54,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Yes, stereotypes do exist for a reason. Typically that reason is ignorance.
Stereotypes are usually inaccurate and can only be applied to the minority of people. Some Americans idolize Trump even though most of the population are level-headed and despise him. Just like some of the British population are posh and snobby but in reality the vast majority are the opposite, even people who like the Royal Family tend not to be overly posh themselves. That posh English accent depicted in American movies is not accurate, very few people in Britain talk like that.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover2458 View Post
Stereotypes are usually inaccurate and can only be applied to the minority of people. Some Americans idolize Trump even though most of the population are level-headed and despise him. Just like some of the British population are posh and snobby but in reality the vast majority are the opposite, even people who like the Royal Family tend not to be overly posh themselves. That posh English accent depicted in American movies is not accurate, very few people in Britain talk like that.
Yes there are plenty of stereotypes on this globe that are so 'stuck' it makes you wonder if they will ever been shaken off! Apparently frenchmen don't all ride bicycles wearing blue and white stripey jumpers and a beret with a string of onions around their necks.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:35 AM

49 posts, read 54,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuari0deldia View Post
That’s actually not entirely true. Have you seen the weather forecast in London and compared to NYC’s, Istanbul, etc? It’s just cold and rain. The weather here is so sh#t. I just moved to London recently and although I live the city, the weather here really sucks. Summer here is as cold as winter in Sydney. Sure we had some days with really warm weather but now it’s very cold and rainy. A couple of nights ago it went down to 12C and the next days the temperature will be be between 13-19C.

People in Britain are acclimatised to the weather that they know and no nothing of other climates. That's why people in England think its 'hot' when its 20 degrees and sunny even though that's about the same temperature as an air-conditioned room! England is cloudy almost everyday in winter but in spring and summer gets some sunny days. Even in the sunniest months it is still cloudier more days than sunny and tends to rain as much as half of the days in the month. London has warmer summers than anywhere else in Britain and is still only low 20s on an average day. The current average temperature in London now in late July is similar to Istanbul/New York in late September. London gets some sun in summer but most days are overcast.

It's only when British people emigrate abroad that they realise just how cloudy England is in comparison to other places. Sydney isn't even a very sunny city but still gets much more sunshine than even the sunniest parts of Britain. I moved to Manchester from New York and was shocked how cold and cloudy the summer was especially compared to the US where 30 degrees and sunny most days is the norm. When it hit 20 in Manchester even with no sun most people were wearing t-shirts whereas that would be light jacket weather in New York. So is London cold and rainy all of the time in summer? Of course not. Is it cold, overcast and rainy most of the time, yes, however it is warm in summer compared to the rest of Britain which is several degrees colder in July and August.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
People in Britain are acclimatised to the weather that they know and no nothing of other climates. That's why people in England think its 'hot' when its 20 degrees and sunny even though that's about the same temperature as an air-conditioned room! England is cloudy almost everyday in winter but in spring and summer gets some sunny days. Even in the sunniest months it is still cloudier more days than sunny and tends to rain as much as half of the days in the month. London has warmer summers than anywhere else in Britain and is still only low 20s on an average day. The current average temperature in London now in late July is similar to Istanbul/New York in late September. London gets some sun in summer but most days are overcast.

It's only when British people emigrate abroad that they realise just how cloudy England is in comparison to other places. Sydney isn't even a very sunny city but still gets much more sunshine than even the sunniest parts of Britain. I moved to Manchester from New York and was shocked how cold and cloudy the summer was especially compared to the US where 30 degrees and sunny most days is the norm. When it hit 20 in Manchester even with no sun most people were wearing t-shirts whereas that would be light jacket weather in New York. So is London cold and rainy all of the time in summer? Of course not. Is it cold, overcast and rainy most of the time, yes, however it is warm in summer compared to the rest of Britain which is several degrees colder in July and August.
People in Britain DO NOT think 20 degrees is hot, thats nonsense, London is NOT cold, overcast and rainy most of the time..........perhaps you haven't seen the link that BNW posted:-

http://www.floodsax.co.uk/news/which...ies-in-europe/

If it was rainy most of the time London would NOT be one of the driest cities, it would be a scientific impossibility no!?

Old 07-30-2021, 08:49 AM

66 posts, read 43,120 times
If I were a billionaire my pick for places to live would be:

PERMANENT RESIDENCE:
Monaco

WINTER:
Seville (Spain), Rome (sunny, not cold but cool winters, no snow (I do not like snow))

SPRING:
Madrid, Lisbon (Sunny, mild weather)

SUMMER:
Switzerland (Spectacular weather, amazing lakes and forests to picnic and do summer things at)

AUTUMN:
Paris (Fantastic and alive, with no annoying tourists)

Outside Europe:

To isolate from humanity, I'd spend my time at a private island in the Caribbean (Akin to Mustique, the island Princess Margaret lived in)

I'd go to Mexico city a lot which is extremely fun, the city with the most culture, history in north America and the best food anywhere in the Americas.

I'd go shopping in China. (Top notch selection of goods when you can afford them. Amazing diversity of goods for the rich)

I would also go to Morocco.

Sorry but I would not consider neither the US nor the UK for anything. They are just not interesting in my book.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:59 AM

27,232 posts, read 13,521,447 times
Quote:

The UK has similar weather to Northern France, which is 20 miles off the coast, and the Benelux countries, whilst countries such as Switzerland have far more rain.

The UK also has less severe winters than Northern Europe.

Most people in the UK do go abroad to the Mediterranean, and Europe is quite compact compared to many continents and it's only 638 miles as the crow flies between London and Nice in the South of France, which amounts to a couple of hours on a standard passenger plane.

The cheapest price that I googled is £14 one way, although I am sure you could get a combined return ticket for around £30.

A lot of young people just buy a tent and head for the South of France or the Mediterranean, which has numerous camp sites, and you can have a fairly cheap holiday going by budget airline.

In terms of Manchester it's in the Pennines hills and receives more rain, indeed the western hills in the UK account for a good deal of the UK's rain, with the east and areas such as East Anglia being far drier. Rainfall therefore varies from region to region in the UK.

You can see the rain fall distribution in the map in the Meteorological Office link below -

How much does it rain in the UK? - Met Office

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-30-2021 at 09:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World