Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2021, 10:15 AM

49 posts, read 54,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
They are not the only European, the weather in European regions surrounding the UK is fairly similar, and in terms of Tenerife, a lot of people just go there to enjoy moderately warm weather during the winter rather than to sunbathe, and a lot of such Brits are actually OAP's and not working, hence they can take advatage of the cheaper winter prices or do you think we can all just go on holiday at the drop of a hat.

Then again the average Brit gets a holiday entitlement including public holidays of 33.5 days, compared to an average of 10 days paid holidays in the US.

One of my colleagues visited Tenerife in January when it was only 21 degrees and said everyone at his resort was sunbathing. Even early in the morning when it was only 17-18 degrees there were still quite a lot of people sunbathing whilst the Spanish lifeguards had hoodies or jackets on with their shorts. He said apart from English there were some Scottish and Irish there and even a French couple from Brest. Not even any Scandinavians there when I asked since they have gloomy winters too and he said there were some when he visited in October when it was 25-26 degrees but no Spanish tourists then, that would be too cold for them to sunbathe, especially considering it can be windy there.

During my eleven years living in England I only visited one canary island, Lanzarote. It was a beautiful island with great views but in November it was only 23 degrees and windy, me and my wife froze even with our sweathsirts on poolside while the English found it warm, although at night a lot of English people were in sweatshirts or jackets when it dipped down into the upper teens. I visited in June expecting it to be hot but it was only 24-26 degrees and windy most days, not much different from November although warmer in the evenings but still cold. I know it gets warmer than that but mid 20s and windy, most people from warm countries would find the Canaries too cold in summer, despite it being warm, it is borderline warm and the very high wind speeds make it feel cold sometimes even during the day! In the US nobody would sunbathe if it were 25 degrees and windy. But that's what happens when you live in a consistently cold climate so it makes sense that people become very acclimatised, also a culture where lots of people seems to wear shorts even when its not unseasonably mild for them. Lots of people wear shorts in the US too but only when it's hot, only a very very small number do it when its cold and those who do are adequately dressed upper body.

And yes I agree that the system in Britain is miles better than America, especially considering America is a joke with the lack of holidays with some sick days being used as holidays in many professions. You don't need to insult it, we're adults, most adults I met in UK were mature I'd appreciate you act the same. Britain triumphs over US in healthcare, and employment rights most people have said that. But as a teacher in the US and previously Britain I enjoyed my summer off in both countries, the US mostly considering it was actually summer weather and not just very long days and fully bloomed trees being the only giveaway to somebody unfamiliar with Britain that it was actually summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
As already explained, the weather varies and most of the rainfall is on the hills in the UK.

As already explained Irene, the UK has seasonal weather and the seasons are different.

The UK also receives weather similar to the European regions which surround it, whilst Southern, Northern and Eastern Europe often have more extreme weather.

If you consider being in total darkness in a Scandinavian winter as better weather than the UK than that's up to you.

The UK has every reason to count itself lucky in terms of weather, especially when you look at the extreme heat and extreme cold that exists across the globe, indeed the worst you can say about the British weather is that it is mild. Whilst the culture caters for this very weather.

Oh no not more mild weather.

Whilst Forest fires range across the world, or ice storms bring down pylons or hurricanes and tornados destroy everything in their path, lets have a discussion about the mild British weather, which is not dissimilar to Northern France and other regions close to the UK.

The seasons in Britain vary slightly in that winter is extremely cloudy, summer is only very cloudy, moderately cloudy on good years. The temperature also barely differentiates even though a lot of people dress like its scorching hot in summer even if its 18 degrees, cloudy and windy. January in Manchester is around 7 degrees July is 20 thats 13 degrees of a difference. New York which is unvaried in temperature in comparison to many other parts of the US gets 3 degrees in January and 30 in July. That is variation. UK is unvaried in temperature and cold all year, just less cold in summer and more cold in winter. Yes, Britain can experience rain sun and clouds all in the same day but so can most places in the US, unless you live somewhere abundantly sunny like Southern California, Vegas or Arizona.

Well Britain is almost as dark as parts of southern Scandinavia in winter with it being black outside at 7.45 am and 4.30 pm in December. I'd prefer the many countries in southern Europe or Australia or the US or the tropics where the winter days aren't painfully long and overcast. I also prefer snow in winter as its real winter weather, Scandinavia gets snow, UK gets an inch then shuts down all public transport, whilst most of the winter it just rains. UK is lucky to avoid catastrophe with no extreme summer or winter temperatures but I'd rather live in a place where its a little uncomfortable for some of the year due to extreme weather if it means I can actually enjoy pleasant heat and sunshine other parts of the year. Summer weather in England is painful, even when it is warm its barely warm and lasts a week at most. When I lived in England every 'warm' day we got I'd sit and hope the temperature got a bit warmer but it never did until I just got used to the fact that it very rarely goes above 25 in Manchester, only a few days a year.

And finally I am not this Irene person. You've obviously had arguments with her before on different forums and it's none of my business. I am an American man who used to live in England from 2008 to 2019 but moved back to the US then. From this thread, which I initially started, she appears to be an Australian woman but I could be wrong and most of her points appear more correct than yours so far, maybe because she's actually lived in somewhere where the sun shines for more than a few days on the sunniest months and experiences real heat and knows that the low 20s temperatures are not warm but cold, especially for summer daytime weather. Add ten degrees to that then you have heat. UK is a great country but the weather is beyond appalling, especially the farther north you go.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:33 AM

90 posts, read 67,528 times
Quote:
Heat waves sometimes go on all summer.

July was a decent enough month, and there will be more warm weather in August.

If you prefer extreme weather then go back to Australia.

London gets most of it's sunshine in the summer months, June, July and August, although Spring can also be very pleasant. It's called having seasons, in other words you don't get much sunshine in Autumn (Fall) and Winter. It doesn't take a genius to work out, whilst in terms of winters, they are generally quite mild.

I guess you just can't handle all that mild weather, and can't wait to get back to extreme weather conditions.

As for what disgusting weather looks like -

Australia fires: A visual guide to the bushfire crisis - BBC News (2020)

With wind chills 30 degrees below zero Sunday, the coldest day of the season so far, cold is here to stay, forecasters say -Sun Times (2021)

Oh no not more mild weather in the UK, how are we going to cope.

The weather in London is actually better than many cities in Europe, and the climate is similar to other nearby parts of Europe.

If you want warmer weather take a train to the South of France and Med, it's only around 2 hours and on a budget Budget Airline will be less than £30 each way.

People have a go at London's weather, however a lot of major cities have far more extreme and even dangerous weather, and subsequent dangerous animals.

LOL

And the Uk doesn’t have extreme weather? A few days ago London couldn’t cope a storm. The whole city was in a complete chaos. The hospitals even asked patients to stay away, but yeah! according to you London doesn’t have extreme weather and it’s a dry city.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57965298

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/25/weath...ort/index.html

and for Australia you can’t compare a country that is 3,078% larger than the UK.
Sydney doesn’t have extreme weather. It has a mild climate with warm and sunny winter and hot summers. There’s AC everywhere not like here, and that’s why people struggle. I went to the tube last week and it was horrible.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:36 AM

90 posts, read 67,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The guy obviously doesn't live anywhere near to London
Lol I’m in central london right now it was raining before now it’s a bit sunny but COLD. The coldest summer I’ve experienced in my life.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuari0deldia View Post
LOL

And the Uk doesn’t have extreme weather? A few days ago London couldn’t cope a storm. The whole city was in a complete chaos. The hospitals even asked patients to stay away, but yeah! according to you London doesn’t have extreme weather and it’s a dry city.

and for Australia you can’t compare a country that is 3,078% larger than the UK.
Sydney doesn’t have extreme weather. It has a mild climate with warm and sunny winter and hot summers. There’s AC everywhere not like here, and that’s why people struggle. I went to the tube last week and it was horrible.
I visited my brother in Brisbane and it was warmer in July there in winter than Manchester in summer and much sunnier too! Even if the days were much shorter. Just be grateful you don't live in Manchester as its colder and cloudier there than London! 16 degrees in Manchester now, 17 in London and Sydney's high temperature for 31 July is 22 degrees during winter! Even in New York it first hits 22 degrees for the first time around the time of the Spring Solstice March and very seldom for more than a day or too before it gets cold again. New York is getting its coolest weather in 6 weeks this week and its still 26-28 during the day and upper teens at night, our coolest nights in 6 weeks.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:53 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diwlari View Post
Employment opportunities:
USA

Healthcare:
UK

Crime:
UK

Education:
UK

Food:
NEITHER

Government:
NEITHER

COVID Response:
NEITHER

Weather:
USA

Health:
UK

People:
Loud, ignorant, pompous versus arrogant, miserable, stuck up. NEITHER.
Sounds like you arent hanging out with the right people

Old 07-30-2021, 10:57 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuari0deldia View Post
LOL

Only an area of London's east end near Stratford was badly effected and had two close two hospitals actually lived in London you would know this.

You don't live in London my friend, as the major hospitals were not effected and you would know this if you lived in the city and the whole city was not in chaos.

In terms of major floods that did far more damage, other parts of the world have seen those in recent months, whilst extreme heat and fires have effected the US.

Australia has dangerous droughts and fires, that are only going to get worse if global warming predictions prove to be correct, yet you seem more concerned with much milder weather in the UK.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Drizzle is NOT common in London, most rain in London comes in the form of showers.
Nowhere in the UK gets heavy downpours regularly, all the rain is light rain and mostly sporadic, although some days it rains all day. If you lived somewhere with real heavy rain you'd know. Rain in the US is much heavier and long lasting than England, but also much less frequent.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:08 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover2458 View Post
The seasons in Britain vary slightly in that winter is extremely cloudy, summer is only very cloudy, moderately cloudy on good years. The temperature also barely differentiates even though a lot of people dress like its scorching hot in summer even if its 18 degrees, cloudy and windy. January in Manchester is around 7 degrees July is 20 thats 13 degrees of a difference. New York which is unvaried in temperature in comparison to many other parts of the US gets 3 degrees in January and 30 in July. That is variation. UK is unvaried in temperature and cold all year, just less cold in summer and more cold in winter. Yes, Britain can experience rain sun and clouds all in the same day but so can most places in the US, unless you live somewhere abundantly sunny like Southern California, Vegas or Arizona.

Well Britain is almost as dark as parts of southern Scandinavia in winter with it being black outside at 7.45 am and 4.30 pm in December. I'd prefer the many countries in southern Europe or Australia or the US or the tropics where the winter days aren't painfully long and overcast. I also prefer snow in winter as its real winter weather, Scandinavia gets snow, UK gets an inch then shuts down all public transport, whilst most of the winter it just rains. UK is lucky to avoid catastrophe with no extreme summer or winter temperatures but I'd rather live in a place where its a little uncomfortable for some of the year due to extreme weather if it means I can actually enjoy pleasant heat and sunshine other parts of the year. Summer weather in England is painful, even when it is warm its barely warm and lasts a week at most. When I lived in England every 'warm' day we got I'd sit and hope the temperature got a bit warmer but it never did until I just got used to the fact that it very rarely goes above 25 in Manchester, only a few days a year.

And finally I am not this Irene person. You've obviously had arguments with her before on different forums and it's none of my business. I am an American man who used to live in England from 2008 to 2019 but moved back to the US then. From this thread, which I initially started, she appears to be an Australian woman but I could be wrong and most of her points appear more correct than yours so far, maybe because she's actually lived in somewhere where the sun shines for more than a few days on the sunniest months and experiences real heat and knows that the low 20s temperatures are not warm but cold, especially for summer daytime weather. Add ten degrees to that then you have heat. UK is a great country but the weather is beyond appalling, especially the farther north you go.
The UK weather is changing due to climate change, and it's predicted that heat waves of 40c will be regular events within ten years, whilst winters have become much warmer.

This does not bode well for other parts of the world that are already have extreme climates, if a country with a moderate climate is set to become more extreme.

Areas of the US and Australia could become uninhabitable and even Southern Europe could have serious problems.

The stark picture of how British summers could look in the years ahead comes as a new report from the Met Office reveals that 2020 was the third warmest, fifth wettest and eighth sunniest year on record.

UK to hit 40C on regular basis even if global warming is limited, scientists have warned - ITV News (29th July 2021)

How summer 2021 has changed our understanding of extreme weather - The Conversaton (30th July 2021)

UK summer temperatures may hit 40C even if global warming is limited to 1.5C, scientists warn - Sky News (29th July 2021)

As for Manchester it's in the pennine hills and therefore receives a lot of rain, and it average 810 mm (31.9 in).

Then again lots of cities have high rainfall rates -

Zurich in Switzerland averages 1,135 millimeters (44.7 inches) which is far more than Manchester.

Geneva has even more rain at 1468 mm | 57.8 inch per year.

Brussels manages about 820 millimeters (32 inches), which is slightly more than Manchester.

Amsterdam's annual rainfall is 844 mm | 33.2 inch.

Naples, Italy get 1008 mm or 39.7 inches of rain

Turin, Italy gets 981 mm or 38.6 inches of rain

Munich (Germany) gets 967 mm or 38.1 inches of rain.

Düsseldorf (Germany) has 956 mm | 37.6 inch of rainfall.

Cologne (Germany) has 989 mm | 38.9 inch of rainfall

And I can go on and on and on.

Yes Manchester has rain but no more so than many other cities, and given the horrors that climate change could unleash then a mild climate seems very welcoming at this moment in time.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-30-2021 at 11:41 AM..

Old 07-30-2021, 11:27 AM

66 posts, read 42,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover2458 View Post
Nowhere in the UK gets heavy downpours regularly, all the rain is light rain and mostly sporadic, although some days it rains all day. If you lived somewhere with real heavy rain you'd know. Rain in the US is much heavier and long lasting than England, but also much less frequent.
I agree, the UK has a kind of rain that while it's not a lot in volume, it is dreadful and can hang for days and days.

You also have those pretty gray low skies that make everything extremely gloomy while there is not a single drop of rain anywhere. Just cloudiness.

Rio de Janeiro for example is wetter than London but in Rio you have bright blue tropical skies then around 4 or 5pm the heat causes a massive storm that drops enormous amounts of water for an hour or so, and then it lets up bringing back those blue skies just so you can enjoy a nice fresh evening and a beautiful sunset.

That never happens in London. In london low hanging heavy clouds, or this damp light rain that just never goes away!

In Rio more water falls in a single storm lasting an hour, than in London in a whole month of continuous light rain and gray skies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World