Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: São Paulo vs Seoul - Skyline Comparison (immensity, density, etc.)
São Paulo 5 29.41%
Seoul 11 64.71%
Tie 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 10:03 PM

424 posts, read 465,530 times

Advertisements

São Paulo might just be the only city in all of the Americas that has built vertically to the same degree of an east Asian mega-city (i.e. residential towers stretching beyond the horizon).

I thought it might be interesting to find out what others think of this with the comparison of São Paulo to Seoul.

How do the skylines of these two cities measure against each other in immensity, density, and architectural quality/merit?

Seoul:

São Paulo:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 05:56 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
Seoul for me. Not just more variety in architecture but also complemented by the surrounding mountains and Namsan Mountain in the center. Sao Paulo looks like all the buildings are the same color and height.

Old 05-29-2021, 07:50 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Seoul for me. Not just more variety in architecture but also complemented by the surrounding mountains and Namsan Mountain in the center. Sao Paulo looks like all the buildings are the same color and height.
Agreed.

Sao Paulo looks utterly depressing to me.

Old 05-29-2021, 08:09 AM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Seoul for me. Not only do I like the building layout more, but the contrast against the mountainous backdrop is stunning.

Old 05-29-2021, 08:35 AM

529 posts, read 556,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
How do the skylines of these two cities measure against each other in immensity
If something is immense, it means it's so big/large that it cannot be measured, and therefore two objects cannot be compared in terms of their immensity...

Anyway I find both skylines horrible.

Old 05-29-2021, 01:52 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Sao Paulo has impressive density, but nothing that really sticks out or has much height. Seoul looks kind of souless.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:50 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,209 times
I lived in Seoul a few years and it has a lovely location. Its surrounded by mountains especially to North ans south with a Singular mountain in the middle called Namsan. There is a wide large river in the middle. Seoul has a lot of new high rise buildings especially in the last 20 years in 30 to 40 floor range. Older midrise and under 20 floor buildings are being torn down. Most of the country is built by a few companies that make generic beige blocks. With names like Hyundai and Lotte. From the street level or even buildings Themselves it is hard to see the skyline because of the wall of buildings. But the mountains and from the riverbanks, you are able to see great panoramas of the city skylines.
S.P. is cool but looks old and while there is variation I do like the more organic feel to it versus Seoul where they build 30 copy paste of the same buildings in the subdivision with names like Lottle Castle 101, Lotte Castle 102, 103 etc. But overall despite the copy paste, there has been a lot more individuality and height variations on commercial office buildings and new mega developments which have tall residential with maybe a small office or shopping mall below. But the new Megamall in Seoul looks so out of place.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:13 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
I lived in Seoul a few years and it has a lovely location. Its surrounded by mountains especially to North ans south with a Singular mountain in the middle called Namsan. There is a wide large river in the middle. Seoul has a lot of new high rise buildings especially in the last 20 years in 30 to 40 floor range. Older midrise and under 20 floor buildings are being torn down. Most of the country is built by a few companies that make generic beige blocks. With names like Hyundai and Lotte. From the street level or even buildings Themselves it is hard to see the skyline because of the wall of buildings. But the mountains and from the riverbanks, you are able to see great panoramas of the city skylines.
S.P. is cool but looks old and while there is variation I do like the more organic feel to it versus Seoul where they build 30 copy paste of the same buildings in the subdivision with names like Lottle Castle 101, Lotte Castle 102, 103 etc. But overall despite the copy paste, there has been a lot more individuality and height variations on commercial office buildings and new mega developments which have tall residential with maybe a small office or shopping mall below. But the new Megamall in Seoul looks so out of place.
I also like how there's the N Seoul Tower on the top of Namsan Mountain, offering 360 degree views of the surrounding city and the mountain with the tower makes it a unique background. Personally the best part of Seouls skyline is the Gangnam area, especially from across the Han River.

Old 06-01-2021, 03:43 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
It's been 5 years since I went to Seoul. The new lotte world tower was been constructed at the time. Can't say I like it very much, its just too tall.

Seoul looks good because of all the mountains, my in laws live out near achasan. Without them it would not be very nice at all in my opinion.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:33 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
It's been 5 years since I went to Seoul. The new lotte world tower was been constructed at the time. Can't say I like it very much, its just too tall.

Seoul looks good because of all the mountains, my in laws live out near achasan. Without them it would not be very nice at all in my opinion.
Sao Paulo may have many more parks and trees on the street however. In terms of people per square km, Seoul is twice as dense as Sao Paulo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World