Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 06:43 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilJohn5 View Post
Thanks for that direct answer to my question. Do you happen to know off-hand how difficult it is to get one their system, how many hoops I'd have to jump through. I don't speak Portuguese so I guess that would be the first on. Thanks for your reply. btw, any idea how Brasil is handling the covid lockdown issues and vaccination push? Can you give more details on what "issues" are occurring there due to "mass coverage" you speak of?
So you are country shopping in search of some free health care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 11:22 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
I am trying to find out which countries if ANY gives free medical care to tourists who are staying there? OR, barring that any Country where their socialized medicine is EASILY accessible to tourist/non-resident living there? Many are listed as offering free care but it's only to Citizens. If you know of any sites that have information like that please tell me.
If you are dealing with cancer and live in the U.S., this site may be helpful:

40+ Financial Resources for Cancer Patients

Old 08-22-2021, 03:46 AM

164 posts, read 81,085 times
For emergency situations you will be covered worldwide.

However if you are not a citizen of the particular country you're in, healthcare won't cover you.

For Americans Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica are fantastic options as the price of treatments in those countries can be quite affordable if you have US income.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:55 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
Quote:
Thanks for that direct answer to my question. Do you happen to know off-hand how difficult it is to get one their system, how many hoops I'd have to jump through. I don't speak Portuguese so I guess that would be the first on. Thanks for your reply. btw, any idea how Brasil is handling the covid lockdown issues and vaccination push? Can you give more details on what "issues" are occurring there due to "mass coverage" you speak of?
It's quite complicated to answer.

Brazil has both public, tax-funded health care system, and the private system.
I don't know if a non-resident foreigner should have a healthcare insurance when travelling through air to Brazil, or if it's required depending on the country; all the times when I travelled to Europe I was required before the travel to hire a health insurance valid for the period of travel. However, the law states that everyone, regardless of being a citizen or not, has the right of receiving medical assistence.

What happens, however, is that the many public hospitals are usually overcrowded, especially in the largest cities. The bureaucracy is not complicated; I guess if you present the passport it's enough, but you will have to wait for many hours for getting attended.

As for the pandemics, well... Jair Bolsonaro is infamous for making all that he could and that he couldn't to harm the vaccination and the lockdowns; however, thankfully, both the Supreme Court and the Parliament are independent and he is under criminal investigation. So, the policies of lockdown and vaccination are being ruled mostly in state level.

I can talk mostly about São Paulo. More than 90% of the population in all the state received at least one jab and the healthcare system is currently under a manageable situation. There are no lockdowns, but you are still required to wear a mask and keep distance in public places. I know, however, that the situation in Rio is currently much worse due to the widespread prevalence of the Delta variant.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:37 AM

101 posts, read 97,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
It's quite complicated to answer.

Brazil has both public, tax-funded health care system, and the private system.
I don't know if a non-resident foreigner should have a healthcare insurance when travelling through air to Brazil, or if it's required depending on the country; all the times when I travelled to Europe I was required before the travel to hire a health insurance valid for the period of travel. However, the law states that everyone, regardless of being a citizen or not, has the right of receiving medical assistence.

What happens, however, is that the many public hospitals are usually overcrowded, especially in the largest cities. The bureaucracy is not complicated; I guess if you present the passport it's enough, but you will have to wait for many hours for getting attended.

As for the pandemics, well... Jair Bolsonaro is infamous for making all that he could and that he couldn't to harm the vaccination and the lockdowns; however, thankfully, both the Supreme Court and the Parliament are independent and he is under criminal investigation. So, the policies of lockdown and vaccination are being ruled mostly in state level.

I can talk mostly about São Paulo. More than 90% of the population in all the state received at least one jab and the healthcare system is currently under a manageable situation. There are no lockdowns, but you are still required to wear a mask and keep distance in public places. I know, however, that the situation in Rio is currently much worse due to the widespread prevalence of the Delta variant.
Thanks for the followup. The love of my life was from Fortaleza. Sounds like getting on the public insurance might not be that great if the medical systems is overburdened. I am looking at some complicated and expensive treatments so I don't know how that would play out. I imagine foreigners would opt for private hospitals and that means expensive. Do I read your reply correctly that all I might have to due is prsent a passport at a public hospital for treatment? Which cities are more likely to offer quality treatment and not be so crowded?

Old 08-26-2021, 05:52 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Why would any country's medical personnel offer free healthcare to non-citizens?

Old 08-26-2021, 07:41 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
Quote:
Thanks for the followup. The love of my life was from Fortaleza. Sounds like getting on the public insurance might not be that great if the medical systems is overburdened. I am looking at some complicated and expensive treatments so I don't know how that would play out. I imagine foreigners would opt for private hospitals and that means expensive. Do I read your reply correctly that all I might have to due is prsent a passport at a public hospital for treatment? Which cities are more likely to offer quality treatment and not be so crowded?
I cannot tell you for sure the issue about the passport. I have to admit that I had never met a foreigner which needed medical assistence, but at least there are decisions in favour of this. I'm not an expert in this area. Fact: private hospitals in Brazil are in general good, and most of people who can afford a health insurance opt to pay for this.

What I can tell you is that a good balance between quality and infrastructure in public healthcare is in general in the mid-size cities of the southernmost states.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:20 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Why would any country's medical personnel offer free healthcare to non-citizens?
Exactly. This thread is a perfect reason why they don't for non-emergency scenarios.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:57 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Exactly. This thread is a perfect reason why they don't for non-emergency scenarios.
In Canada permanent residents are eligible for free health care. Canadian citizens who are residents of foreign countries are not. If a Canadian citizen returns to Canada to live, they must prove residency in a province for three months before being eligible for free provincial health care.

That always made sense to me. Permanent residents contribute tax dollars to the system. Canadians living abroad do not.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:05 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
In Canada permanent residents are eligible for free health care. Canadian citizens who are residents of foreign countries are not. If a Canadian citizen returns to Canada to live, they must prove residency in a province for three months before being eligible for free provincial health care.

That always made sense to me. Permanent residents contribute tax dollars to the system. Canadians living abroad do not.
I think in every country foreign residents are eligible for healthcare as well, but you need to pay the premium (which is the case here) or contribute to the healthcare system however the country's law stipulates (pay taxes or whatever). The OP however seems to be asking if he could just visit another country, walk in a hospital, and get treated for free.

I guess Medecins sans frontieres do that, but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World