Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 02:38 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times

Advertisements

No, but gotta admit one thing I like about America is how seriously people take security in the sense that even the laws protect you, if someone invades your property you're allowed to shoot him? Impossible where I live in post-communist eastern europe, here the mentality is mostly "everyone owns everything", some commie utopia bs.

To give you an idea of how bad it is, I just read a news about some stupid kid (20+) from a village who randomly attacks people and the villagers...organized protest against him. Like wtf? Don't tell me they don't have one guy to shoot the culprit...I bet if this is america or a normal country the hooligan will be dealt with and not "protested" as if this is norway or some sort of left-wing country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 06:08 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've heard this from some Australians before, on more than one occasion.

I have always reassured them that in spite of the scary headlines, your chances of being shot when visiting the United States remain extremely low.
I've been here 56 years, the last 20 in a marginal section of Boston. The only time I was a victim of a crime was when my snowblower was stolen from my garage. Conversely, my wife spent 4 months in Leiden Holland and had her bike, her wallet, and her jacket stolen all at different times and different circumstances.

Life in the U.S. for the vast majority of Americans is very peaceful.

Old 06-28-2022, 02:30 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I've been here 56 years, the last 20 in a marginal section of Boston. The only time I was a victim of a crime was when my snowblower was stolen from my garage. Conversely, my wife spent 4 months in Leiden Holland and had her bike, her wallet, and her jacket stolen all at different times and different circumstances.

Life in the U.S. for the vast majority of Americans is very peaceful.
Whoopy-doo. The majority of Americans don't get shot on any given day. That is a really low standard to judge how peaceful a society is.

Fact is that American schools have to have armed guards, locked doors, and active shooter drills to keep the kids safe. That is not a sign of a peaceful country. People in peaceful countries don't do that. The US is one of the most violent countries in the world.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 06-28-2022 at 02:40 AM..

Old 06-28-2022, 03:56 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Whoopy-doo. The majority of Americans don't get shot on any given day. That is a really low standard to judge how peaceful a society is.

Fact is that American schools have to have armed guards, locked doors, and active shooter drills to keep the kids safe. That is not a sign of a peaceful country. People in peaceful countries don't do that. The US is one of the most violent countries in the world.
Armed guards and locked doors at school is NOT a good look that's for sure! It sounds more like a prison!

Old 06-28-2022, 05:15 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Armed guards and locked doors at school is NOT a good look that's for sure! It sounds more like a prison!
The situation is truly depressing. The worst part is that as was proven in Texas, even armed guards and locked doors can't stop school shootings. So turning the schools into prisons is all for nothing.

The US is in a downward spiral, and I don't see any possible solution. The closest comparable country I can think of is Somalia, which is a gun free for all like the US, but even they don't have school shootings like the US does. Yeah Somali gangs shoot and kill each other, but who shoots school children? Who does that? Well of course the answer is, Americans.

Old 06-28-2022, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

Interesting that you don't mention the thousands of blacks being killed by other blacks every year which is the real reason our violent crime rate is out of whack with the rest of the developed world.

Remove the black murder rate and we are Canada.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:24 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Interesting that you don't mention the thousands of blacks being killed by other blacks every year which is the real reason our violent crime rate is out of whack with the rest of the developed world.

That’s still Americans killing other Americans.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:59 AM

1,651 posts, read 867,120 times
Quote:

Are those black people not Americans? At the end of the day, it's still Americans killing other Americans regardless of their racial identify. To point out otherwise is just a means of deflection. But since we are playing those games allow me to take a stab at it. Most homicides are men killing other men. So, if you take gender out of the equation, America is the most peaceful country on earth.

Old 06-28-2022, 11:05 AM

1,651 posts, read 867,120 times
Quote:

Are those black people not Americans? At the end of the day, it's still Americans killing other Americans regardless of their racial identify. To point out otherwise is just a means of deflection. But since we are playing those games allow me to take a stab at it. Most homicides are men killing other men. So, if you take gender out of the equation, America is the most peaceful country on earth.

Old 06-28-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Not a good analogy, all nations have a 50% male population, all nations do not have 6% of their male population committing 50% of their homicides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World