Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 07:28 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,629,382 times

Advertisements

Wasn't there just a thread don this? Toronto architecture is not anywhere near NYC's ballpark and I am not sure why anyone would ever think it's remotely in NYC's league. Similarly, let's compare Wichita, KS bridge architecture to that of San Francisco. Why is there another thread on this? Please shut this thread.

Old 07-23-2023, 09:20 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randumyum View Post
I see this opinion repeated a lot around the Internet, and it didn’t gel with my viewpoint at all, nor my concept of history, so I just wanted to know what C-D thinks
I find the skyline of Toronto somewhat bland. And for decades in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, NYC built the most bland and uninteresting buildings imaginable. Architectural a dead zone. but the city has come alive again with all kinds of unique buildings and no matter what you think of pencil skyscrapers, t hey are redefining the NYC skyline.

Last edited by ABQSunseeker; 07-23-2023 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: correct grammar

Old 07-23-2023, 09:36 AM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Are we talking skylines or the nitty gritty vernacular of architecture from all over the city? I don’t really do skylines because frankly they are cliché and don’t always say much about the city.

Otherwise I pick Toronto. Yes it’s more modern, but there also seems to be more masonry vs that ugly siding we see in NY, even in suburbanites parts of the city proper. I’m not super enamored of Toronto’s inner ring townhouses but they are fairly unlike anything I’m used to seeing; this part of Toronto’s built environment seems pretty on par with a lot of NYC, nothing really sets either one apart in a big way. Suburban settings further out also seem to not be as enamored of this multistory house nonsense they like so much in the northeast as a whole. There also seems to be a bit more of a through line of midcentury type architecture as well in the burbs which I vibe with.

Old 07-23-2023, 01:08 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Are we talking skylines or the nitty gritty vernacular of architecture from all over the city? I don’t really do skylines because frankly they are cliché and don’t always say much about the city.

Otherwise I pick Toronto. Yes it’s more modern, but there also seems to be more masonry vs that ugly siding we see in NY, even in suburbanites parts of the city proper. I’m not super enamored of Toronto’s inner ring townhouses but they are fairly unlike anything I’m used to seeing; this part of Toronto’s built environment seems pretty on par with a lot of NYC, nothing really sets either one apart in a big way. Suburban settings further out also seem to not be as enamored of this multistory house nonsense they like so much in the northeast as a whole. There also seems to be a bit more of a through line of midcentury type architecture as well in the burbs which I vibe with.
When you speak of inner ring townhouses what style are you talking about? There is quite a bit of diversity there. The most prolific style of residential housing would be Victorian era Bay and Gable like this

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66714...8192?entry=ttu

Another prominent style is the Annex

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66854...8192?entry=ttu

Toronto can be a hard city to pin down architecturally - just when you think you have it figured out you stumble upon something like this

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66904...6656?entry=ttu

Old 07-23-2023, 08:05 PM

571 posts, read 276,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I find the skyline of Toronto somewhat bland. And for decades in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, NYC built the most bland and uninteresting buildings imaginable. Architectural a dead zone. but the city has come alive again with all kinds of unique buildings and no matter what you think of pencil skyscrapers, t hey are redefining the NYC skyline.
Yes they are redefining the nyc skyline, but is that a good thing?

I mean you could say Hitler redefined Germany’s identity and European history as well.

Old 07-23-2023, 08:34 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiigner View Post
Yes they are redefining the nyc skyline, but is that a good thing?

I mean you could say Hitler redefined Germany’s identity and European history as well.
Whether you find it good or bad the second sentence is like just bizarre.

Old 07-23-2023, 10:24 PM

61,723 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Troll thread.
Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.