Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2023, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Northeast of Brazil
3,898 posts, read 6,694,817 times
Reputation: 2352

Advertisements

News of the day

Quote:
‘Credible evidence’ India behind alleged assassination of Sikh leader, says Trudeau

India rejects as ‘absurd’ allegation by PM that it was responsible for fatal shooting of Hardeep Singh Nijjar on Canadian soil


Justin Trudeau has said there is “credible evidence” India is responsible for the alleged assassination of Hardeep Singh Nijjar, a prominent Canadian Sikh leader, a claim Delhi dismissed as “absurd”.

The Canadian prime minister told the House of Commons of Canada on Monday that, in recent weeks, national security authorities had been probing allegations that New Delhi was behind a state-sponsored assassination.

“Any involvement of a foreign government in the killing of a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil is an unacceptable violation of our sovereignty,” he said. “Canada is a rule-of-law country, the protection of our citizens in defence of our sovereignty are fundamental.

Indian prime minister Narendra Modi welcomes Canada prime minister Justin Trudeau to the G20 in Delhi.
Explainer: what’s behind the growing tensions between Canada and India?
Read more
“Our top priorities have therefore been one, that our law enforcement and security agencies ensure the continued safety of all Canadians. And two, that all steps be taken to hold perpetrators of this murder to account.”

Trudeau said the alleged killing “is contrary to the fundamental rules by which free, open, and democratic societies conduct themselves”.

The foreign affairs minister, Mélanie Joly, said Canada had expelled a “key Indian diplomat” and “expects India to fully collaborate with us and ultimately to get to the bottom of this”.

India’s ministry of external affairs said in a statement it “rejected” statements by Trudeau and his foreign minister, adding that allegations of India’s involvement in any act of violence in Canada are “absurd and motivated”.

“We are a democratic polity with a strong commitment to rule of law,” the statement read.

The ministry said it would expel a senior Canadian diplomat in response to Trudeau’s claims. New Delhi’s decision reflects its “growing concern at the interference of Canadian diplomats in our internal matters and their involvement in anti-India activities”, the foreign ministry said.

The allegations from Canada’s prime minister are likely to further strain relations between the two nations. Trudeau said he raised the issue “in no uncertain terms” with the Indian prime minister, Narendra Modi, when the two met briefly in New Delhi last week for the G20 summit.

The New Democratic party leader, Jagmeet Singh, who is Sikh, said there must be consequences for the assassination. “To hear the prime minister of Canada corroborate a potential link between a murder of a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil by a foreign government is something I could never have imagined,” he said.

“We will ensure that no rock is unturned, that every possible link is examined.”

The Conservative leader, Pierre Poilievre, said the allegations, if true, “represent an outrageous affront to Canada”, adding that citizens should be free from extrajudicial killings.

He added: “Canadians deserve to be protected on Canadian soil. We call on the Indian government to act with utmost transparency as authorities investigate this murder, because the truth must come out.”
read more at: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...r-says-trudeau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2023, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Northeast of Brazil
3,898 posts, read 6,694,817 times
Reputation: 2352
If this is proved to be really true, and that Narendra Modi knew and authorized this, then that's proof that Narendra Modi is an incredibly reckless and insane person and is not fit to be prime minister of India.

This is totally insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2023, 07:06 AM
 
1,615 posts, read 815,675 times
Reputation: 2551
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
If this is proved to be really true, and that Narendra Modi knew and authorized this, then that's proof that Narendra Modi is an incredibly reckless and insane person and is not fit to be prime minister of India.

This is totally insane.
India is needed in the West to counter China, therefore things like this (if true) will be ignored or downplayed so we don't rock the boat sort of speak. Similar to Saudi Arabia. It's a interesting aspect of geopolitics. So long as a a party is beneficial we overlook transgressions, while simultaneously making others who commit far less egregious offenses out to be a threat to humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2023, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Northeast of Brazil
3,898 posts, read 6,694,817 times
Reputation: 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
India is needed in the West to counter China, therefore things like this (if true) will be ignored or downplayed so we don't rock the boat sort of speak. Similar to Saudi Arabia. It's a interesting aspect of geopolitics. So long as a a party is beneficial we overlook transgressions, while simultaneously making others who commit far less egregious offenses out to be a threat to humanity.

I just hope the Congress Party wins majority in the elections in 2024 and remove that reckless psycho Modi from power, before it's too late...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2023, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Toronto
15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Reputation: 5191
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I just hope the Congress Party wins majority in the elections in 2024 and remove that reckless psycho Modi from power, before it's too late...
It would be nice but unlikely - Modi will probably get in for a third term. I have an Indian friend who is Muslim and since Modi has taken power, the treatment of minority groups in India has gone downhill.

It is highly unusual for a government to release this information without more definitive prove. I suspect the Canadian spy agency is fairly certain of the link in order for the Canadian government to release this. They knew this would badly impact Canada/India relations. A trade deal that was getting closer to being inked is all but nixed now.

I imagine Trudeau is sending a message to India that we know you were involved in the assassination and to cut it out. While geopolitically India is important to the west, if this is all true than the west also needs to be cleared eyed about how India engages itself. Certainly this goes completely against Modi's bear hug nice guy facade.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-19-2023 at 09:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2023, 10:00 AM
 
999 posts, read 342,539 times
Reputation: 569
LOL Is anyone really surpised by this? India is bascially a hindu-facist state. They still hold a major grudge over bieng a British Colony and view Canada bascially as descendants of the British. They have no respect for Canada and do as they please here. Indians are the fastest growing immigrant group in Canada they are brining their extremist religious and political views here. The murder of the Sikh leader was retaliation for the the muder of a hindu priest. There were Canadian ties to that murder. SMH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2023, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Toronto
15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Reputation: 5191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
LOL Is anyone really surpised by this? India is bascially a hindu-facist state. They still hold a major grudge over bieng a British Colony and view Canada bascially as descendants of the British. They have no respect for Canada and do as they please here. Indians are the fastest growing immigrant group in Canada they are brining their extremist religious and political views here. The murder of the Sikh leader was retaliation for the the muder of a hindu priest. There were Canadian ties to that murder. SMH.
The majority of Indians coming to Canada are from minority Indian groups though - particularly Sikh's. It isn't surprising that a Hindu Nationalist party with same as leader in Modi, would be more oppressive to Sikh's and Muslims in India after having been in power for 9 years now.

The different between the murder of the Hindu Priest and the murder of the Sikh Leader in British Columbia is that a government (India) is being accused of being part of the plot and executed a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil. The Canadian government as far as I know, did not have a hand to play in the murder of the Hindu Priest on Indian soil. There is a difference between citizen/citizen group plots and nation state involvement. This is what Trudeau is getting at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2023, 10:42 AM
 
999 posts, read 342,539 times
Reputation: 569
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The majority of Indians coming to Canada are from minority Indian groups though - particularly Sikh's. It isn't surprising that a Hindu Nationalist party with same as leader in Modi, would be more oppressive to Sikh's and Muslims in India after having been in power for 9 years now
.


Sikhs are from from an oppresed class, specially not the wealthy Punjabis moving here.

Quote:
The different between the murder of the Hindu Priest and the murder of the Sikh Leader in British Columbia is that a government (India) is being accused of being part of the plot and executed a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil. The Canadian government as far as I know, did not have a hand to play in the murder of the Hindu Priest on Indian soil. There is a difference between citizen/citizen group plots and nation state involvement. This is what Trudeau is getting at.
Yes you're right the Indian government was way out of line, however it probably has a lot to do with Canada being soft on these issues. That's my point, India has no respect for Canada. I don't know why Canada give such a slide, or turns the other way when it comes to SIkh extremism here. I think you know it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2023, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Toronto
15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Reputation: 5191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post


Sikhs are from from an oppresed class, specially not the wealthy Punjabis moving here.
Yes Luis all Punjabi immigrants to Canada are worth millions of dollars USD. With all that money they choose Canada instead of a cheaper, warmer and peaceful country where their dollars would go much further

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post

Yes you're right the Indian government was way out of line, however it probably has a lot to do with Canada being soft on these issues. That's my point, India has no respect for Canada. I don't know why Canada give such a slide, or turns the other way when it comes to SIkh extremism here. I think you know it's true.
I agree with you that the Canadian government is being soft on its stance. While I don't agree that an individual shouldn't have the right to protest in Canada, Trudeau should take a harder line on extremist elements and be very clear he doesn't support that. This would have appeased India. That said, yes India is WAY out of line if it was directly involved at a governmental level of an assassination of a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil. If Canada doesn't take a strong stance against this than what does that say about its sovereignty. So, at this point i'm not sure how much India doesn't respect Canada. If what Trudeau is saying is proven true conclusively, than he is actually on the right here for speaking forcefully against it and I think Modi is getting the message loud and clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2023, 02:21 PM
 
Location: In Little Ping's Maple Dictatorship
332 posts, read 132,113 times
Reputation: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
‘Credible evidence’ India behind alleged assassination of Sikh leader, says Trudeau
Considering this idiot also claimed that a "mass grave" of First Nations children had been discovered at the site of a former residential school that later turned out to be 100% false, I'll wait for the facts to come out before making any judgements.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/27/kamloo...ews-in-canada/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top